Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Nah, their debtors records are backed up in multiple locations and formats to the point of having copies in orbit on punched paper tape.

Sadly, that ate most of their IT budget which left online client services somewhat lacking.

:)

Ever worked on banking systems J ?

At any given time pieces of them are always down - just sometimes they get runaway - sort of a digital tsunami :)

Cheers

:)

Ever worked on banking systems J ?

At any given time pieces of them are always down - just sometimes they get runaway - sort of a digital tsunami :)

Cheers

You'd think with all the billions them banks have they'd be able to do something about it ...

Nup. They spend the least possible on IT, staff, any expense really.

It's part reason that MS is still giving support for some of the POS and embedded Windows XP variants until 2019. And you can bet there's probably going to be ATMs around still running it 10 years after that.

Nup. They spend the least possible on IT, staff, any expense really.

It's part reason that MS is still giving support for some of the POS and embedded Windows XP variants until 2019. And you can bet there's probably going to be ATMs around still running it 10 years after that.

I guess that new BMW for the bank CEO is more important ...

Yeah, sometimes I can't avoid it, but I I REALLY hate bank work, defense is easier....

Cheers

Noticed meters are faulty that they overcharge customers and not undercharge them.

Oi ! :)

When did that Ever rr happen ???????

Noticed meters are faulty that they overcharge customers and not undercharge them.

Oi ! :)

When did that Ever rr happen ???????

I write billing systems for clients who charge clients for power and aircon usage.

And yes most of the glitches tend overcharge rather than undercharge LOL

• Like 1

Buying magazines is a thing of the past

Went into the newsagency yesterday, the shop used to be full of magazines, now it's just a corner of the shop

The rest of the space was taken up with cheep trinket gifty things

Went into the newsagency yesterday, the shop used to be full of magazines, now it's just a corner of the shop

Same up here, but you go to Coles which is like two shops away from the newsagent and you can get magazines, cards, writing paper

etc. in there too. Supermarkets are like an expanding germ ;)

Same up here, but you go to Coles which is like two shops away from the newsagent and you can get magazines, cards, writing paper

etc. in there too. Supermarkets are like an expanding germ ;)

Being a small businessman myself I try to use local businesses where I can, but even that is getting harder and harder

Newsagents are going the way of the video shop. Supermarkets selling the common magazines is just accellerating the process. I've been into a newsagent maybe 1-2 times in the last few years, back over 5 years ago it'd sometimes be 1-2 times a week.

Somehow I don't think they'll find a viable business model in replicating what The Reject Shop does on a suburban basis.

• Like 1

Newsagents are going the way of the video shop. Supermarkets selling the common magazines is just accellerating the process. I've been into a newsagent maybe 1-2 times in the last few years, back over 5 years ago it'd sometimes be 1-2 times a week.

Somehow I don't think they'll find a viable business model in replicating what The Reject Shop does on a suburban basis.

I like newsagents, the mags in the supermarkets are mostly that women's weekly trash!

I think that deliveries provide a fair income stream as well... NFI how, the newspapers must subsidise it pretty heavily. Though they've copped a hit there too, some papers now do it themselves not to mention anyone remotely keeping up with the times doesn't buy newspapers anymore.

I think News Ltd papers made a loss because no one really reads that crap anymore, except the usual hardcore readers.

I think News Ltd papers made a loss because no one really reads that crap anymore, except the usual hardcore readers.

Interesting you say that

When I get my paper from the servo in the mornings, there is a big pile of HeraldSuns, there would not even be 10 copies of the Age

My wife still gets two mags a week, I get two aviation ones by mail and quite a slew of trade stuff, we buy the Saturday paper but are sort of giving up on the Sunday one.

Newsagents are not dead yet but they are in decline.

The thing with supermarkets selling magazines though is they never seem to have the current ones - I do all the shopping here, never buy my wife's mags at Coles.

Cheers

Interesting you say that

When I get my paper from the servo in the mornings, there is a big pile of HeraldSuns, there would not even be 10 copies of the Age

The NT is different where the murdoch owned NT News is pretty much the only one here unless you go the newsagent for other papers.

The big broadsheets are mainly centred on capital cities, and generally the coverage of the likes of sport is inferior. Also, they tend to have a stuffy, stuck up image which is a turnoff for many people.

What a joke. Just got a superannuation statement for a minor one with just under $1,000 in it from some work years ago. The annual fee came to about $1.30 less than the interest earned, so in effect nowhere near keeping up with inflation let alone making any money.