Caelum

What's on your mind?

:)

I saw that on the news, lovely mess.

So anyway, how was the airshow See ?

One of these years I'll make it there but been saying that for a couple of decades :)

Cheers

Being a trade day it was mostly talking with customers, meeting prospects & visiting the crews of platforms we've supported. I managed to get out & watch the Raptor display before bolting back into the tent out of the heat, and oh man, can that thing maneuver.

Edited by seehund

Being a trade day it was mostly talking with customers, meeting prospects & visiting the crews of platforms we've supported. I managed to get out & watch the Raptor display before bolting back into the tent out of the heat, and oh man, can that thing maneuver.

Um yeah, I've only seen videos although a couple of mates do fly them and rave about it.

It's amazing how Lockheed managed to get that one so right but are struggling so much with the 35.

Trying to do it cheaper I guess, never really works, but the -35 was always designed to be multi-role the -22 was not until they came up with the newish slim bomb. I'm still not at all sure I'd use such expensive assets in a CAS role though. That's why the A-10 exists and why they keep trying to get rid of it is a mystery to me.

Cheers

I think the F35 has issues because it has to a bit of everything which means it's crap at everything and good at nothing.

Multirole just gone too far. And stupid political mentality that less types automatically means less money, or at least insofar as the smokescreen they try to blow up the public's arses.

In this case though, I don't see a problem with being a fighter as well as bomber, it was done with reasonable success plenty of times with the likes of F4, F15, F16, F18 to mention a few. IMO where the real problem exists is the STOVL requirement which just changes everything. Blindly obvious it would have been way cheaper to just develop an updated derivative of the Harrier.

Multirole just gone too far. And stupid political mentality that less types automatically means less money, or at least insofar as the smokescreen they try to blow up the public's arses.

In this case though, I don't see a problem with being a fighter as well as bomber, it was done with reasonable success plenty of times with the likes of F4, F15, F16, F18 to mention a few. IMO where the real problem exists is the STOVL requirement which just changes everything. Blindly obvious it would have been way cheaper to just develop an updated derivative of the Harrier.

Indeed, the stupid STOVL requirement, only asked for by the Marines and the RN, messed around with the entire design.

The types you mention though went through evolution.

Nobody really seemed to want the F-4 at first, then it sold like hot cakes, over 5000 of them. I always loved flying it, but every time I actually looked at it I shook my head at what an aerodynamic mess it was.

F-15 and 16 were both designed as pure fighters, evolved to carry bombs after many years in service, and new versions.

The -18, well, I'm not not much of a fan, sort of average at everything is my estimation.

It's in the end more about money, that's why we keep seeing new types that rarely do much more than their predecessors - stealth being an exception, but I do not have a lot of faith in it.

Why can't they just evolve a proven airframe, like the Eagle ?

Because they make more money designing and selling a new one is the short answer.

Cheers

Just my opinion, a fighter with some bombing ability is fine but you still need proper bombers I think. The raptor works because it's a fighter number one, and that's all it does.

Just my opinion, a fighter with some bombing ability is fine but you still need proper bombers I think. The raptor works because it's a fighter number one, and that's all it does.

I was a bit stunned when reports came in of -22s bombing in Syria, but this new slim bomb fits the bay. The US really only has two bombers, the -52, which is older than me, and -2 which is a very high value asset you do not use lightly. Sure there are still B-1s around but I doubt for much longer - variable geometry airframes are high maintenance and that is a big aircraft.

I think the French do it best, but it's just an opinion.

Cheers

US still have F15s, those are old school but very versatile.

Indeed they do, 'Es are just a light bomber but very effective and being a much less complex aircraft than the Tomcat should stick around for a good while. :)

Cheers

I am just thinking about having a delicious desert as I feel so hungry now.

I'd love to think you're a new member, and welcome you, but you're just going to end up spamming or advertising aren't you?

Lenovo aren't shipping my laptop for two whole months! What utter incompetence.

They out of stock of that model?

I am just thinking about having a delicious desert as I feel so hungry now.

I'd love to think you're a new member, and welcome you, but you're just going to end up spamming or advertising aren't you?

Oh at such a young age to be sooo cynical :P

Lenovo aren't shipping my laptop for two whole months! What utter incompetence.

They out of stock of that model?
Who knows, they're still accepting orders. Waiting on support to get back to me with an excuse.

$400 ... You could buy an NVidia shield TV with extras with that money

I didn't bother buying a PVR ... I just got a Topfield HD Tuner...

Thanks for the input fellas - I'll bear those in mind when I get my shit together enough to start making a list.

**** raining on the weekend here, I'm not talking little showers. More torrential bucketing.

(Lenovo laptop) - I'd tell them to jam it, these days a couple of months is a significant portion of the model lifespan, something better/cheaper likely to appear in that timeframe.

(PVR stuff) - these days it comes down to what you want to watch from where and what res... I'd have turned my second desktop into a HTPC by now except the motherboard is on the way out.

2 months wait is not acceptable in this time and age.

We've been buying lenovo laptops for work and we get them in two weeks.

Yeah I agree, but I already signed my salary sacrifice contract so I'm a bit up shit creek. Might just demand a partial refund based on projected depreciation.

That's actually being nice, I'm losing valuable productivity. If only the MacBook Pros weren't garbage.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Cat lovers are a strange bunch.

I did some work for Parks and Wildlife a few years back using drones for a trial that examined the idea of managing feral cats using aerial delivered baits. This is absolutely a worst case scenario, where we have a zero sum game between the feral cat population, and the survival of critically endangered species. Drones were a tool that could distribute bait in a way that was targeted based on feral cat activity (sightings, scat, footprints), that was more efficient than existing methods (lower cost to taxpayers), and therefore had a lower impact on native species. The results of the trial were published in a scientific journal, which was stumbled upon by an American journalist recently. They published a news article on a widely circulated platform, linking to the original research (with my full name and academic contact details), resulting in the following delightful correspondence:

The VILE HUMAN RACE causes FAR MORE ecological destruction and extinctions of other species than any other life form on planet Earth! Who thinks doing mass poisons on humans is a good idea to control this problem???

This is inhumane and disgusting. What the heck is wrong with you people wanting to send drones to kill a bunch of cats. All Animals depend on the human species. So what do we do but build and we build and we destroy because we're stupid. These poor animals suffer because of us and our stupidity. I hope this whole plan backfires!!!! These poor cats. It's not their fault. It's the people in Australia and their stupidity, they are not smart enough to know you need to fix them and trap them. Leave them the hell alone. I hope whoever sets those drones off pays big time! And they are worried about cats too destroying wildlife, what about all the assholes that poach and hunt and kill animals . Why don't we punish them !Poor kitties!
Cats are one of God most beautiful creatures on this world. Cats are able to cure loneliness, able bring humans great happiness just to share life with them just to contemplate their beauty and grace.
Australian Government People should stop your cruelty against CATS.
PEOPLE KILL MILLIONS ANIMALS TO EAT THEM EVERYDAY....ALSO FOR FUN, ABUSE, AND CRUELTY, LIKE IN THIS CASE. NOT EXCUSE OR JUSTIFICATION. JUST MURDEROUS INSTINCT.
This is disgusting & wholeheartedly cruel! Australia should know better but cat haters always seem to lead the charge. They ignore the data that shows that it is HUMAN interference that kills off native species. I hope all of Oceania suffers w/ an invasion of rats & mice (that carry bubonic plague & other awful diseases that cull humans!) x1 year for every cat killed! I can guarantee you that some pets, including dogs & cats, as well as some of the native species they claim to be protecting including birds with this murder plot will suffer a cruel death by poisoning. To read of the various methods (esp. traps spraying poison; WT absolute F?) that the Australian govt had considered shows they are cruel, soulless sacks o' crap! I had read a book about a vet who lived of Kirimati/Kiribati/Christmas Island & he says the majority of the people living there are careless about their pets & often wait until the animals are far beyond help before taking them to the vet. Granted this was 20 yrs ago but I suspect the people haven't changed much & even with free spay & neutering clinics for pets, I suspect that they don't bother & the explosion of pets gone wild has made for messy tourism. *eyeroll* I am SO disgusted by this & hope that Karma for every cat & animal who suffers from this poison brigade eats away at the tourism even more! SHAME on Australia; they're no better than the whale hunting Japanese who say they kill the whales for "research!"
I understand the ethical issues raised, poisoning what were once domestic cats is a shitty thing to do, but we don't have any alternative solutions given the timeframe available. There were dozens of responses along these lines, and I made the mistake of engaging a few of the authors. The only coherent response I got was that we should be dropping birth control instead of 1080.
I like cats, but I don't understand the logic of cat lovers.

Cats are as you said animals out of control, all kittens should be spaded.when they are old enough and you can't miss with the shovel.No seriously they all should be desexed

unless you are a breeder.Some will say then you have breeders that have cats that they are the only ones that don't have to be spaded.I bought a red healer dog, a female who is 8 yrs old

now and she cost me $800 I had to get her desexed as part of the sale.Now if I was going to breed from her she would have been a lot lot dearer. Because if you breed them yourself you need

the lineage papers.I was a professional shooter of foxes on and of in my day I still shoot now just on and off.I remember shooting a feral cat that was 8kg heavier than a dog fox and as fit as.They are

the worst in Australia for wiping out endangered species bar none.

Really what good are they, you feed them they might let you nurse them for a while then they say fuck you I have had enough.If you for instance kick your dog or physically punish it will forgive with unconditional

love,protect you and your belongings etc.The problem with cats is you can feed them they will still catch birds,lizards etc even if domesticated,you could feed them caviar and they still do it.Some people when their cat has kittens

and they can,t give them away they let them out into the bush and most won't survive the one that does is a born killer I don't care what anyone says,it possibly kills its sisters or brothers to survive as they say the survival of the fittest,

i have seen it too much if they are spaded and you registered them i would not have a problem but they should be in a run in the house and if you want a cat outside put a lead on it and walk it outside.

I have heard "Oh mine is siamese,or a blue point or what ever they would not do that",bullshit it is in their DNA, born killers.Cats in their place can be nice animals,as companions,as i said "IN THEIR PLACE" Wake up and our marsupials,

possums,birds lizards,small non venumious tree snakes,carpet and small rock pythons,bilbies,endangered parrots,sugar gliders,flying squirrels frogs ,ground dwelling birds etc etc.THINK ABOUT IT we have one of the most diverse of

creatures here in Aussie PLEASE PLEASE think about it.

Edited by mickf