Caelum

What's on your mind?

I think Port Hedland would be a great place for the next lot of movie dudes making a film about Mars ...

8094154-3x2-340x227.jpg

You can't promise to ban Muslims throughout your election campaign, and then claim a new bill (introduced because the last one was blocked) restricting entry from predominantly Muslim countries is secular.

You also can't claim it's an absolute necessity for security, and then leave out countries that score high on the Global Terrorism Index (Nigeria, India, Thailand), or countries directly associated with previous terrorist attacks (Saudi Arabia, Chechnya, Albania).

He was 61, very young to be falling off the perch, I'm older than that, but Alzheimer is not kind, I saw a father-in-law die of it in his early 50s.

Cheers

You are confusing the Footrot Flats' creator with Bill Leak ... Bill apparently had a heart issue which killed him.

So fucking tired.

Then take a rest.

:)

Ah yes, I am too - the age is correct the cause of death not.

Cheers

I know the age now thanks but a bit confused about how he died ,heart attack or Alzheimer?

I am a lot older too.

Edited by mickf

I know the age now thanks but a bit confused about how he died ,heart attack or Alzheimer?

I am a lot older too.

Bill Leak had heart issue and Footrot Flats guy Murray Ball died with Alzheimer's disease

Edited by eveln

I think Port Hedland would be a great place for the next lot of movie dudes making a film about Mars ...

8094154-3x2-340x227.jpg

I get dragged up there every few years, my step-son was living there for a time, that's only a small part of the town but it is really not the most pleasant of places :)

Cheers

lol!

Received this very official looking e-mail from a lawyer saying that he had been requested by my spouse to initiate divorce proceedings and that the first draft was in the link provided.

That's a new twist.....

8094154-3x2-340x227.jpg

I get dragged up there every few years, my step-son was living there for a time, that's only a small part of the town but it is really not the most pleasant of places :)

Cheers

Yes. The pic came from an article by some local business people who are blaming the dying of the town on the dust. Thing is, without the functioning

port there'd not be much need of the various local businesses, and why is this an issue only now ? Perhaps some smart people need to work out a way

of transporting the goods without creating such dust storm ... respitory (sp?) illness must be very common.

Guess it's a double edged sword. The mine is the biggest employer but also the cause of lots of deathd from covering the place in dust.

Yeah, that could ruin your day, a very unusual event, I don't recall it happening in Australia before.

I'm not sure Ev, not all of the town looks like that but it is not one of my favorite places at all. Whilst I could use the income I'd want a premium to do IT work up there again - just cleaning out the server filters was no fun and half the reason they have trouble but the staff turn-over is so high the reminders, despite I stapled them to their notice board, are ignored.

Ah well, every few years they need new hardware and always come to me, me being the idiot that will fly up and install it for them :)

Cheers

Ya just never know what you'll find at your local tip .

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-17/steinway-piano-found-at-broome-tip/8360304

" Valuable Steinway baby grand piano found in 'tropical hell of Broome tip"

One guy goes to the tip with garden waste, comes across a teenager playing quite beautifully on the Steinway in amongst the refuse.

What an assault of the senses ?! One lot being crucified nasally whilst the ears and the rest of the sole seduced by baby grand goodness.

And it's fucking raining at last !! Been sooooooo oppressive tonight. Just hope it goes on for a while.

Edited by eveln

How did that propeller miss the plane, they were just lucky.

Well...maybe. The prop would be developing rather a lot of thrust to overcome the aeroplane's drag; as soon as it's not pulling that along, all that thrust means it would accelerate away like a bat out of hell. Of course, it's also going to lose rotation (and thus thrust) fairly quickly, and the 'plane will then "run over" it - except that it would also have lost altitude by that point. Not quite as simple as a nice clean loop forward and down, though - when it popped off it would have had some inherent climb angle, plus whatever the 'plane had, and then factor in wind.

So, yeah, luck. Just not quite as much as you might think.

It's a constant speed prop, ie variable pitch. Likely that the default if it seperated from the engine would be that it would pop out to the feathered position which is parallel to flight direction (minimum drag) - that's the normal "failure mode" which is desired as a perpendicular position generates maximum drag.

That aside, I'd tend to agree with the theory that if it was a relative "clean break" where the shaft just parted company then the prop would likely just float forward and down relative to the aircraft, climb angle would probably make no difference unless it was a steep climb.

Hmm,

It's been quite a while since I flew a prop aircraft, I prefer jets, but the chances of a detached prop in the first place are vanishingly small and the chances of it hitting the aircraft even less so, I do not recall hearing of it ever happening.

One of my brothers flies REX most months, he was not amused, most all of their fleet is Saab these days so he is pretty much guaranteed to be on the same model for his trips. I had to reassure him that it is not a design flaw, more a maintenance stuff up. I'm the only member of my direct family who is a pilot, the rest tend to more endure than enjoy flying, strange attitude in my view :)

Cheers

We've just paid for our P.O Box for the next year. Cos we paid it on time it was $52.00 After the 31st of March the payment would've been $57.00.

I have an admittedly hazy memory of paying about $34.00 for the privilege of no mail delivery service in this area back in 2007. Where we live is, like

most other places, expanding in habitation and as the post office is fast running out of room for the number of post boxes it will need to cater for us all,

it makes sense that they should supply some jobs for the locals and get some posties on the payroll. If I have to pay a buck anytime I want to send a

card then I want my mail delivered to my home please. I reckon now that Mr 6 million dollar man is no longer CEO, they have the readies to pay for the

posties.

$52.00 on it's own may seem a paltry sum to pay for my mail, but the post office is 8 klicks from my home. I/we pay for fuel and wear and tear on our cars

as well as the annual postal fee.

Edited by eveln

weather has been awesome the past week. Looking forward to another great day tomorrow.

Though I'm sure the roos will be around to keep us honest...

I tried to get used to the gboard google keyboard but its got so much sodding lag. The default keyboard is too big on the screen though.

Tigers sacked Jason Taylor.

Got to say, about time. He's presided over a slide of form not to mention issues getting on with key players to the point where some just didn't want to be part of the club while he was around.

Tigers sacked Jason Taylor.

Got to say, about time. He's presided over a slide of form not to mention issues getting on with key players to the point where some just didn't want to be part of the club while he was around.

JT is a strange one. I tend to still think he Could make a good coach, but I guess I'm basing that more on 'feel' than anything in his career so far

Friggen ridiculous - 842 Meg worth of download for a raw digital camera update to MacOS. Not so long ago that'd have been an entire operating system installer.

But that'll be next up, and be about a 6 Gig download.

err... so OK, now it's finished there was in fact iTunes and another one piggybacked, which explains the bloat a bit.

Edited by Rybags