Caelum

What's on your mind?

Yikes, it doesn't take much to destroy a plane. A few missing screws in the wrong place can do that.

A pair of screws the wrong way up can destroy an aircraft. <- Cue story of USAF testbed that kept locking control surfaces at max deflection; cause traced to LAME who installed bolts inverted, because the design drawing had them "upside down".

I recall reading bout that Cybes, in "Yeager" I think, an F-86 ?

You'd never pick that up in a walk-around but although the mech was obviously a hick I do recall wondering why the designers did that...

If I recall it actually killed a couple of pilots before they figured it out.

Aircraft are complex beasts, especially military ones where you tend to be pushing the envelope, but you don't need mechs who think they know better than the manufacturers...

I once had a Harrier STOL lift-off that came very close to killing me when the big Pegasus engine suddenly died on me just after unstick.

Fortunately it was off a long strip of concrete so I was able to land, out in the sticks I would have been leaving via the roof...

I forget the details but basically a mechanical fuck-up, they happen more than you might realise...

Cheers

It's very dark inside now. the sky is rumbling, I can feel the shuddering up through my chair. rain has just begun :)

Sharknado?

I recall reading bout that Cybes, in "Yeager" I think, an F-86 ?

That's where I got it, too. Don't recall the model number.

Was the Sabre I think, interesting aircraft - I've the sneaking suspicion I flew one when the bolt problem existed, fortunately I was very high over the Nevada Desert because for I few seconds I had zero control.

Dunno, they never told me, I've had worse I guess but that little spin sure woke me up :)

Cheers

It's very dark inside now. the sky is rumbling, I can feel the shuddering up through my chair. rain has just begun :)

Sharknado?

Hah!. We had some lightning and rain late last night. Then this arvo the rumblings - like a giant's hungry stomach - began, followed by an hour or so of downfall. After the dry we've been having it's bloody wonderful stuff :) ... feels sooo good here .

Fucking shits me when you get a software update and the release notes are like

Phone usability and functionality has been further improved.

And that's it, aside from the assurance that your personal data won't be deleted, you can't use the phone and it'll restart once or twice during the update.

I've written down some of the main version numbers, will see in a few minutes if this update is of any significance.

"Security Patch" and "Software Version" changed. But that's just higher level stuff, Android version, Kernal version, Build number still the same.

Wasn't expecting much for a 260 Meg download.

Goes straight to lock screen on startup (annoyingly), pretty sure it didn't do that before.

"Security Patch" and "Software Version" changed. But that's just higher level stuff, Android version, Kernal version, Build number still the same.

Wasn't expecting much for a 260 Meg download.

If that wasn't it already, expect another patch soon for KRACK wifi vulnerability.

Supposedly the vulnerability was kept quiet for several weeks to give vendors a chance to do security updates.

From my phone info, previous Sec Patch 2017-04-01, the current one 2017-09-01.

I rarely do netbank stuff on the phone and are generally on carrier data if I do.

But I do suppose that a potential attack vector might be if you're out and about and use a phone or personal wifi hotspot device that's not up to date - you'd need to be pretty unlucky though, and in any case SSL traffic should still be safe.

Couple of quick info links, probably better ones around - https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/10/what-you-should-know-about-the-krack-wifi-security-weakness/

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/228519

My window phone got a patch around mid October, I'm sure Microsoft sneaked in the krack patch in the there as they released windows one around the same time.

Edited by Jeruselem

:)

It will fall to pieces and mostly burn up, but they as in obsolete space stations seem to have a nasty habit of heading to Australia, and W.A. in particular.

It's interesting, on a clear night I can usually be out the back and see a satellite or three burn up - check on line and yep, not meteorites although we see quite a few of those as well.

Cheers

...seem to have a nasty habit of heading to Australia, and W.A. in particular.

Stuff which is still responding and has some fuel will often be steered this way, not specifically to hit Australia, but because even if they miss the ocean there's a great deal of nobody to hit.

...seem to have a nasty habit of heading to Australia, and W.A. in particular.

Stuff which is still responding and has some fuel will often be steered this way, not specifically to hit Australia, but because even if they miss the ocean there's a great deal of nobody to hit.

:)

Friend of mine paid his rent on re-selling pieces of Skylab for over a year just by going out and fossicking for it.

I doubt this one will be as useful as that, but you never know :)

Cheers

If they have control then the spacecraft cemetary would be the obvious deorbit location, Pacific Ocean to the east of NZ.

Has the advantage that you get about 2 full polar orbits where there's virtually no transit over land except Antarctica.

Edited by Rybags

polar orbits

Changing from equatorial to polar orbit is not a trivial maneuvre. It is an optimal plan, for sure, but may not be possible in some cases.

The Chinese I think have no control over that space station, that's why its just floating around.

Orbital inclination of 42.8 Degrees. If you had abiltiy to go into polar orbit then you'd probably have ability to just keep it up there.

330px-Tiandong-1_orbits_in_June_2013.jpg

Obvious strategy if it could be controlled would be to deorbit with re-entry on a pass that goes under Australia, you should have about 2/3rds of the orbital period continuous where it's nowhere near land.

The good news is the replacment Tiangong 2 is still working ...

Edited by Jeruselem

what if it lands on north korea (or indeed, the u.s. of a.) by accident and precipitates ww3 ?

nm Rilan. it allows you to buy your nets to log-in here so it's worth doing :P

Also welcome to here new person :) ( ?)

Speaking of work...

...This guy is being a bit liberal in his interpretation of "low flying practice".

VZaWYgb.jpg

I was never in the AF, so I can't speak with authority, but I imagine someone's going to be spoken sternly to. With volume. My civilian instructors would have been a bit toey if I'd been below the terrain, or that close to the public whilst doing it, and a single prop trainer is nowhere near as exxy nor as easy to lose. And military brass have a bit of a rep for being somewhat unforgiving.

• Like 1