Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

I assume the video was sitting on the internal memory and not on a external Microsd?

Posted (edited)

iPhones - I don't think any iPhone or iPad for that matter allows SD cards internally. Not sure there's even an OTG equivalent.

I don't think there's even a 32 bit Waterfox available? That was half the point of the existence of the project, as Mozilla dragged the chain with Firefox for years.

As for my setup - very happy with FF-Q. It shits all over the others. I think I mentioned the pesky slow sites like Officeworks, Gumtree and Seek, with Quantum you barely experience any slowdown with them.

Playing about customizing the look/feel. I've already put in a custom Userchrome.css and the MenuEditor replacement css files which allow customizing of the context menus.

Using TreeStyle Tab as I've done vertical tab browsing for probably 5 years now. An annoyance there is it seems the tabs context menu can't be altered and for whatever reason it's always left-justifying it in relation to the pointer unless I'm right near the left edge of screen in which case it reverts to the proper right-justified appearance wrt the pointer.

It's still using buttloads of memory, I do suspect the extensions are probably contributing to that. About 4.5 Gig in use at the moment with a 12 tabs open. Free up in about: memory reduces it to 4.2. Restarting Firefox reduces it to 1.3.

ed - another contributor to extra memory use - I changed the options to allow 5 worker threads instead of 4 which would have created more overhead.

Edited by Rybags

hmmm... why would i want quantum over waterfox ?

Posted (edited)

Faster. And Waterfox is based on the old code/engine which will stop receiving security updates in a few months.

FF Q is also now 64-bit which makes WF somewhat redundant. Apart from it's 64-bit attribute, the other "redeeming feature" of WF is it's so-called ethical foundations, which essentially means they use the Ecosia search engine and they don't send back telemetry (which you can disable in virtually all other browsers anyway).

The thing that kept me away was that dropping of XUL for the newer WebExtensions methodology means that many of the old extensions just won't work. But in the preceding months there's been workarounds and rewrites so that I've got 90% or more of the functionality I had with WF and all my old extensions. The extra speed anyway more than makes up for the lack of customization I had in WF.

I'm not sure what future there is for Waterfox. If they do update it based on Quantum, then really, what differences can they include to make it worth using?

ed - a bit of worthwhile reading re changes to extensions https://www.howtogeek.com/333230/why-firefox-had-to-kill-your-favorite-extension/

Edited by Rybags

Do iphones even have external sd?

Ah it was an iPhone, you're pretty screwed then.

;)

i avoid Sydney airport every chance I get, Melbourne is much nicer, especially not having to ride a bus to go international to domestic - that may have changed - not been there in years, but I'm not sure I've ever had an interconnect leave on time there anyway :)

Cheers

Middle-manager with Dodo?

Probably taking part in a medical study to find why some people exhibit symptoms of crystal meth usage without actually having it in their system.

TV - what, smart TV or something? I noticed recently that some are getting pretty cheap, like 40" JVC for about $450 and a 4K 48" for about $650 @ BigW.

The JVC though... just looks cheap and nasty.

• Like 1

hmmm... why would i want quantum over waterfox ?

I've only really used waterfox when trying to work around some bugs FF had in the past.

Quantum, the project that's been going on within Mozilla/Firefox for a while, is pretty good.

Also, security fixes presumably more quickly than WF gets?

I don't think WF lags behind too much - probably under a week at worst. In any case I've almost always lagged deliberately mainly due to updates often breaking extensions.

But you have to question the validity of Waterfox now that Quantum has a 64-bit version.

IMO they'd be best off doing something like Vivaldi has done with the Chrome browser - fork out and provide more default features that would have otherwise needed extensions or heavy tweaking.

Posted (edited)

Middle-manager with Dodo?

Probably taking part in a medical study to find why some people exhibit symptoms of crystal meth usage without actually having it in their system.

TV - what, smart TV or something? I noticed recently that some are getting pretty cheap, like 40" JVC for about $450 and a 4K 48" for about $650 @ BigW.

The JVC though... just looks cheap and nasty.

Hehehehe ... Dodo manager ..

TV is a smart TV from Kogan. 4K LED 43" . ... Bargain for $339. Only missing one thing which is an ethernet port, but that's no biggie. Just need something to watch some sports and news stuff.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-43-4k-led-tv-series-8-ju8000-c/

Edited by JediKnight

That's an amazing price... but for "smart" blackbox video devices Wifi is a way more desirable option. Looks like that TV is fairly minimal with the extra features but at the price you could chuck an extra few hundred @ a 4K media player and still be going alright.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Once again Parramatta manage to wrestle victory from it's jaws and grapple defeat. After a dominant first half (or at least half an hour) they crumbled, with Penrith going from no score to being the only scorers after the 34th minute.

And it would seem that the Raiders also managed to throw away a not quite as certain victory.

In other news, the new NRL website is a joke. Yet another page that's inflicted us with the tablet look/feel. Ridiculous images that zoom to 105% when you hover over them. And match reports no longer have the score worm, so you have to trawl through the reports and stats and work it out for yourself.

Edited by Rybags

Hasn't it been pissing down to the point you should be planning an ark up there?

At least the AFL website is still with it's former look/feel.

Somewhat pissed off that a HDD caddy that I bought probably under 18 months ago and has had maybe 10 hours use has an intermittent dropout problem. I've got a same model that I got about a year ago and it has no such problem. And there I was wondering why 3 clone attempts on a fairly new drive were failing.

" Hasn't it been pissing down to the point you should be planning an ark up there?"

Worse through the week. A couple of times I wondered whether I'd complete my travel to work. Been much worse lower down past Cairns than us up here. And inland too, they could do

with several flat-bottomed arks stocked with drinking water and other supplies

This sounds like the work of a rival deity. These days there's so much information readily available that competition between the gods is quite fierce. In practical terms, it means that none of them - Yahweh included - could really afford to torch their own cheer squad without a very good reason. Now I'm not claiming to know for sure who's responsible, but we can narrow it down if we look at the evidence:
1) Yahweh hasn't pulled this kind of shit for over a thousand years. Would he really just decide to go back to his old ways all of a sudden? I don't think so.
2) Zeus. Lightning. Maybe a little too obvious, but still.
3) Kali. This is where I'd put my money. Stir up trouble with the Christians while framing Zeus for the deed. She is the one to watch in the current climate.

"She said 17 of those injured were still in the hospital, while the rest had been discharged."

i guess once they don't have any electricity left in them, they're safe enough

:)

Electricity doesn't work like that, it is looking for ground, that is when it hurts or kills you.

A good sparkie - i know several, get the odd boot most every day, they wear the right footwear, doesn't seem to bother them much.

It depends, though - I've been blown clean across a room by a badly set up 3 phase, but unlike a majority of people my instinct is to let go - most people hang on and get electrocuted.

Cheers

The instinct is muchly irrelevant, the hold on thing is due to the electricity causing muscle contractions in the contacted area.

I copped a decent buzz through a knife while attending to a toaster a long time ago which launched me into the air, coming down on top of a low cupboard door and breaking it off the hinge.

That was sufficient to get me to double check anything before poking around. Though the only mains appliance electical work I've done recenly is recapping 2 monitors.

But I've got a portable AC with a new motor to go into it, the plan was to do it before summer but that lapsed.

:) big caps can give you one hell of a DC belt apparently -never had one - did once see a screwdriver literally welded to the caps of a BIG power amp - approached that one with care, and thick rubber gloves.

The caps were shot of course, replaced them-never did figure out what the owner was doing in there with a 'driver in the first place- nice amp, very resilient, came back good, so did my bank account :)

Cheers