Caelum

What's on your mind?

I started reading this article for it's somewhat curious title. Kept going till it finished to discover an interesting statement that I did not know ... here's the article

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-09-16/cancer-and-ripe-bananas-how-bogus-health-claims-hurt/10237738

" Bananas with brown spots cure cancer. Eat them !" ... is the titbit of info that inspired the article, but this is what I did not know ...

" * Note: In Australia, anyone can legally call themselves a nutritionist or dietitian, no matter their level of training,..."

I find that ^^  a very scary piece of info.

7 hours ago, eveln said:

" * Note: In Australia, anyone can legally call themselves a nutritionist or dietitian, no matter their level of training,..."

I find that ^^  a very scary piece of info.

That's not a new piece of info, Eve - media goes off on that topic about once a year (or did until I stopped watching TV maybe 2 years ago - albeit mostly 'science' shows).  The complaint about that usually goes hand in hand with wailing about US-based TV/Web doctors who push bullshit products in exchange for truckloads of money.

38 minutes ago, Cybes said:

That's not a new piece of info, Eve - media goes off on that topic about once a year (or did until I stopped watching TV maybe 2 years ago - albeit mostly 'science' shows).  The complaint about that usually goes hand in hand with wailing about US-based TV/Web doctors who push bullshit products in exchange for truckloads of money.

It's just, I see a few on here ( atomic ) that seem to visit nutritionists and so I hope the ones they use are at least bona fide. << is that how it's spelt ?

" There is no exception to the rule that every organic being naturally increases at so high a rate that if not destroyed, the earth would soon be covered by the progeny of a single pair. "
-Charles Darwin, " on The origin of the species " (1859 )

Edited by eveln

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

I stopped watching TV maybe 2 years ago - albeit mostly 'science' shows).

we moved to cable in ~ late 1990's, then eventually hardly watched it once rupert started including advertising, then switched to cable supplied abc and sbs via the same portal around a decade ago (shit reception where we are, at least with available technology at the time) for a few years

it's been streaming and uncle terrence here for closing on a decade now, with the late addition of netflix (courtesy of ms. 20-something); i rarely watch anything available on tv (the spouse likes i-view, which i'll watch occasionally)

i can follow current affairs via surfing smh / the guardian / the conversation / forum outrage without needing tele

but i do like short documentaries on aeon and the arty stuff on vimeo, plus some youtube regulars on occasion (linus' channel on hardware is pretty slick, even with the self-aware advertising nods)

do i miss television ?  about as much as i miss my hernia, really...   it was painful, and you feel better once it's gone

it's the opium of the masses for a new millenium, since god lost audience share

• Like 1

We just use the PS4 on the tv and I use my lappy to get iView, and Stan and stream some movies on the tv via the PS4. Works a treat. Been doing that for many years now, must be close on a decade

Needle now found in an apple. I'm gonna need a big magnet to check all the fruit we buy ..

Edited by Jeruselem

< tinfoil hat is planted firmly on head >... Can you imagine just how cheep a punnet of strawberries would be right now with the market having all the produce that could've been available for sale now ?

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

I thought it had already aired but right now Foreign Correspondent is covering the story.

Imagine the havoc hackers can cause with that system though.

That's ^^ a bloody big sign to fuck up . Fancy making that fuck up 🙂

I love a scotchy Friday

Edited by eveln

Oh we're from 'pie-ger land
A fighting fury
We're from 'pie-ger land
In any weather you will see us with a grin
Risking head and shin
If we're behind then never mind
We'll fight and fight and win
For we're from 'pie-ger land
We never weaken til the final siren's gone