Jump to content
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

what I think is amazing, is that I'm sitting here with a comfortable temperature still. It won't stay this pleasant for much longer, but it is amazingly fine for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we found a 16 port POE layer 2 switch with fibre and 2x Gigabit ethernet ports at work!

The switch came with a terminated contract with comms company we were using but it was disconnected and unused after we switched to someone else. Might have been from Telstra or AMCOM who removed their equipment and left the switch there.

And they want it back now ...

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Anyone with a super put into the property investment? If this is a sign the whole property bubble will go, you've been warned.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/10/australian-super-braces-property-crash/

Looks more like commercial rents are due to increase.

Don't be fooled by those skinny graphs that make it look like commercial property prices are skyrocketing. They are visually misleading. That graph shows that even the CBD office prices, the biggest increase, have only increased 6.5%pa.

Macrobusiness.com.au don't give a recent reference for that graph. So I can only guess that its nominal values, not CPI adjusted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke up early Sunday morning with extreme pain down my left next and arm, took some drugs for what I though was a stiff neck, nope didn't help. The concerned look on my wife's face suggested a trip to Launceston A&E was in my future, I hopped into the car and 15minutes later asked her to pull over and call an ambulance because pain is a bastard and I deal with it better when I can walk around. Queue a ride to the hospital in an ambulance, still no pain relief but laying on the bed with my arm above my head and my chin at a certain angle relieved the pain mostly.

I get to the hospital and get checked out by a nurse, no obvious causes. Doesn't hurt when they put pressure on my neck etc, in the meantime while waiting for a doctor I'm offered some pain meds, get given an injection in my arm and a green whistle from the ambo. The meds really didn't knock the pain but by god the shit in the green whistle made me not give a rats arse about it. I'm getting high on the whistle and ask the nurse if my wife is out in A&E, she was so they bring her over to me, I start making fun of the TA Bed 1 sign, I'm struggling to sit upright in the chair causing at least one cleaner to laugh ? my wife moves me to a different chair at this point so that if I do fall I wont get hit by the door out to the waiting room. In this new chair I proceed to squeeze my wife's breast and honk to which I have no recollection of doing, I also tell her how nice they are to rest my head on, I cannot say that I haven't done either of those things previously but usually it's in private and I know I'm doing it, I am actually mortified that I did it in the hospital and have no memory of it.

Some time after this a doctor comes along and asked what meds I've taken, as I take time to focus on what I've taken I simple tell him a nurse gave me a cup with 4 pills in it, I hope I gave him a laugh because I was so high it wasn't funny well it probably was, he went and checked my chart which I thought was an excellent call. Testing and prodding lead him to conclude that in all probability I have a pinched nerve. I haven't had much sleep since Sunday as the pain is very tricky to manage, sleeping in a more upright position seems to help.

A visit to my GP with more testing used acupuncture to send a shot of pain down my arm that rivaled what I'd been experiencing then ordered an MRI just to check that nothing serious is going on. The new meds from my GP are working better for pain I still have numbness in my left thumb and part of my forearm and a week off work, thankfully it's school holidays so not too much going on there.

I now know I do some funny shit when I get high and my wife gets some excellent stories to relate to family and work colleagues.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my daughter was impressed by the green whistle when she fell over and broke her  hip (which had been pinned for a slipped growth plate)

 

it's methoxyflurane if you're shopping  ?

 

you've either got wry neck (muscle spasm) which is no fun, or one of the discs in your cervical spine has gone bad and is impinging on c6 (your 6th cervical nerve root)

 

have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)#/media/File:Grant_1962_663.png

 

- that can be problematic in terms of treatment, but anti-inflammatories can sometimes help a bit, and can pregabalin (lyrica), which is a drug that tones down nerve irritability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

my daughter was impressed by the green whistle when she fell over and broke her  hip (which had been pinned for a slipped growth plate)

 

it's methoxyflurane if you're shopping  ?

 

you've either got wry neck (muscle spasm) which is no fun, or one of the discs in your cervical spine has gone bad and is impinging on c6 (your 6th cervical nerve root)

 

have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)#/media/File:Grant_1962_663.png

 

- that can be problematic in terms of treatment, but anti-inflammatories can sometimes help a bit, and can pregabalin (lyrica), which is a drug that tones down nerve irritability

I'm taking anti-inflammatories which seem to be helping, GP wanted the MRI to make sure there was nothing going on in my neck which I don't think there is as it's not sore when touched etc, only hurts sometimes when I move. Public holiday in Launceston tomorrow so I'll call my quack Friday for the results of the MRI. Not sleeping because of the pain is the biggest issue, hopefully tonight I'll be able to lay in bed with not much pain, this will ensure my lovely wife also gets a good nights sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

classic that a disc doesn't show local surface tenderness, as the actual injury is poking directly on your nerve as it comes off the spinal cord

 

you can't easily press that bit (unless you're a neurosurgeon)

 

you can take panadol safely with anti-inflammatories... but sadly neither do much for the nerve pain; the anti-inflamm helps by lessening swelling pushing on the nerve if it is part of the problem - your description is consistent with c6 irritation i believe, but the why is not clear, although disc prolapse is relatively common, but usually as a result of injury, or wear and tear in older people (which i presume isn't you)

 

mri is the definitive investigation

Edited by scruffy1
spelling - disks are for computers, discs are part of your spinal column

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, constant pain is a right bitch.

The disc/disk thing... generally the way I see it, if it's in a case or jacket then you call it disk, e.g. floppy disk, hard disk.
If it's not, it's a disc, e.g. compact disc, disc brakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rybags said:

Yep, constant pain is a right bitch.

The disc/disk thing... generally the way I see it, if it's in a case or jacket then you call it disk, e.g. floppy disk, hard disk.
If it's not, it's a disc, e.g. compact disc, disc brakes.

The constant pain is really starting to get on my goat so to speak, it's making me a grumpy fuck yelled at my youngest for no real reason this morning he didn't deserve it, shit he's had more ops and dealt with more pain in his short 11yrs than I have in 45.

14 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

classic that a disc doesn't show local surface tenderness, as the actual injury is poking directly on your nerve as it comes off the spinal cord

 

you can't easily press that bit (unless you're a neurosurgeon)

 

you can take panadol safely with anti-inflammatories... but sadly neither do much for the nerve pain; the anti-inflamm helps by lessening swelling pushing on the nerve if it is part of the problem - your description is consistent with c6 irritation i believe, but the why is not clear, although disc prolapse is relatively common, but usually as a result of injury, or wear and tear in older people (which i presume isn't you)

 

mri is the definitive investigation

I'm 45 so I don't think I'm old, don't recall injurying myself although we did have a work function last Friday that involved laser tag, I was shit at it but had fun. It's a public holiday here in Launceston today so I'll call my GP tomorrow, hopefully he'll have something to say about the MRI or we'll move on to another treatment to try and get me back to work. C6 and C7 are what he was investigating as I also had some numbness in more left forefinger but that is no longer present just thumb and forearm now.

I've been getting down because of the pain, my wife has snapped me out of it though so I'm now looking to the positives which I can't actually see ? (I'm not dead so that's a positive, most likely this will not last forever) I have been able to watch the new doctor who episode a few times now though and I must say I like the new Doctor.

Thanks for the advice/support and listening to my venting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity we can't regenerate properly like the Doctor, we actually do regenerate but it takes like ... 10 years for some parts of the body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest scumbag scammer phone call - automated computer voice that sounds like some Indian attempt at a hybrid US/Aus accent telling you that your internet disconnection is imminent due to some IP address bullshit and to press 1 to be transferred to get it fixed.  The fact they mentioned Telstra fucks them over to begin with seeing I've had nothing to do with them for about 2 years.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they tried me a few days ago

 

but as soon as they mentioned internet, i replied "not interested, thanks" and hung up

 

they didn't try again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quazar said:

The constant pain is really starting to get on my goat so to speak, it's making me a grumpy fuck yelled at my youngest for no real reason this morning he didn't deserve it, shit he's had more ops and dealt with more pain in his short 11yrs than I have in 45.

I'm 45 so I don't think I'm old, don't recall injurying myself although we did have a work function last Friday that involved laser tag, I was shit at it but had fun. It's a public holiday here in Launceston today so I'll call my GP tomorrow, hopefully he'll have something to say about the MRI or we'll move on to another treatment to try and get me back to work. C6 and C7 are what he was investigating as I also had some numbness in more left forefinger but that is no longer present just thumb and forearm now.

I've been getting down because of the pain, my wife has snapped me out of it though so I'm now looking to the positives which I can't actually see ? (I'm not dead so that's a positive, most likely this will not last forever) I have been able to watch the new doctor who episode a few times now though and I must say I like the new Doctor.

Thanks for the advice/support and listening to my venting.

 

pain sucks

 

best distraction for me (to sleep, anyway) is instrumental music, but headphones in bed are a mixed blessing for comfort

 

at 45, your discs have seen better days... that's sad, but true

welcome to old, old man

 

if it's swelling around a nerve exit point, guided steroid injection can be miraculous

 

meantime, you just have to breathe in and breathe out, and time will settle a lot of things.... but it passes slowly when things hurt

 

video distraction can be great - i binge watched a heap of stuff when i had shingles, which made me ignore how much it hurt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Flint-schools-receive-water-stations-filtration-systems-from-billionaire-Elon-Musk-495276151.html

Flint, in Michigan USA, has had poisoned water since 2015.  FINALLY someone got off their arse to help them out.  Was it the government?  Be serious.  It was Elon Musk.

Seriously, that dude does have some gnarly bad points (treatment of employees, defaming hero cave divers, and wild public overstatements mostly), but he has some awesome ones too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 2:26 PM, scruffy1 said:

 

pain sucks

 

best distraction for me (to sleep, anyway) is instrumental music, but headphones in bed are a mixed blessing for comfort

 

at 45, your discs have seen better days... that's sad, but true

welcome to old, old man

 

if it's swelling around a nerve exit point, guided steroid injection can be miraculous

 

meantime, you just have to breathe in and breathe out, and time will settle a lot of things.... but it passes slowly when things hurt

 

video distraction can be great - i binge watched a heap of stuff when i had shingles, which made me ignore how much it hurt

I am unable to get into see my regular GP until next Friday, however I went to a medical clinic today and have gotten a different medication for pain management and that seems to be working for me. The MRI report is ready yet but the doctor I saw was able to have a look at the images and seems to think there is some compression around the C6 area.

I'll discuss further treatments with my GP and injection were mentioned as an option, I guess I'll wait on the report then consider all the options available. This will of course determine how/if I will train towards my 4th Dan grading next June, I really want to get my 5th Dan when I'm 50.

Pain wise I find I can manage it much better if I can move around, walking helps but during the night it not really an option, rocking myself back and forth or jiggling my legs helps then. I have managed to watch all the new Star Wars movies again, watched Doctor Who episodes this morning. Netflix and Stan have been so handy I'm also currently watch Stargate SG1 up to the 7th season.

I might now actually be able to get some gaming in, so far I've only been able to play Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a Yetisports CD the other day so bought it.  Sadly it's only got a couple of the minor games.

Remember Flamingo Drive?  You need to allow Flash to run - should be fine, this is the original publisher's site:  http://yetisports.org/flamingo-drive-game-5/

First time I've played in years, I'm fairly sure I also had a couple of the games on the old Nokia mars bar phone.  Just got 2031 metres, I think I used to be about to get over 4000 fairly regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed my private health care cover, turns out the new plan is cheaper and covers more than my old plan did ... but the waiting periods suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AC on for the first time since about early April.  Feels like the hottest day in almost 6 months - still over 24. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Rybags said:

AC on for the first time since about early April.  Feels like the hottest day in almost 6 months - still over 24. 

Freaking sauna here in the Darwin built-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the doona off the bed late last week and packed it away tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×