Jump to content
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

I did not know that Cosmopolitan magazine started it's life in 1886 and that H.G. Wells had stories printed in it ... and then it's famous history includes Burt's naked bod and moustachioed glory !  << I did know the Burt bit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-16/australian-edition-of-cosmopolitan-magazine-to-close/10382338

 

Edited by eveln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, eveln said:

I did not know that Cosmopolitan magazine started it's life in 1886 and that H.G. Wells had stories printed in it ... and then it's famous history includes Burt's naked bod and moustachioed glory !  << I did know the Burt bit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-16/australian-edition-of-cosmopolitan-magazine-to-close/10382338

 

Yet we still have mags like New Idea ... which pretty much just publish trash still going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Yet we still have mags like New Idea ... which pretty much just publish trash still going

says something about the 'new enlightened women' ... or that there's still enough capital behind it to not give too much of a fuck about sales or lack there of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magazines, like newspapers, are slowly dying, I hardly buy any anymore, a couple of very eclectic ones and one that comes with a subscription, the net covers everything else.

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eveln said:

says something about the 'new enlightened women' ... or that there's still enough capital behind it to not give too much of a fuck about sales or lack there of

Don't under estimate the number of 60+ middle class suburban women, and the ease of buying a subscription for a mother's day gift 🙂

And to be fair, with the 3-4 different titles, all for the same market getting passed around the circles of friends, they probably have more repeat readers of a publication per subscription than almost any other print media - so the advertising success might be better than you think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed that... and it's had issues for a while.
One of the most annoying is the new video count from sub'd channels.  It resets back to nothing after you watch it, then next day or whatever, it'll put a count of everything they've released in the last week whether you've watched them or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stadl said:

Don't under estimate the number of 60+ middle class suburban women, and the ease of buying a subscription for a mother's day gift 🙂

And to be fair, with the 3-4 different titles, all for the same market getting passed around the circles of friends, they probably have more repeat readers of a publication per subscription than almost any other print media - so the advertising success might be better than you think.

two things I'm grateful for . first that I never went in for mag subscriptions of any kind, and secondly that I don't count as a mother. I guess for a mum that might equate to the bottle of after shave with the cowboy hat lid that my dad got for many many father's days.

I never gave a mag subscription as a gift either  ... I must be very strange  unique even ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would love to know if the average australian gives anywhere as near a fuck about the royal visit as the fawning media outlets would lead us to believe. 

seriously, abc news 24 had a picture in picture over some actual news today of those two standing around in some room doing fuck all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was, uh, pretty surprised to see near beatlemania levels of hysteria by some in the crowd, in Melbourne, the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, they are, compared to some of the older Royals, relatively young, rather charismatic and the Invictus games which Harry is fundamental to show a reality that is rarely seen by Royals. Others undoubtedly do good deeds, but it's never much publicised.

I happen to be looking after my 87 year old recovering mother, who has been in hospital five times this year, in Adelaide. She is a devout Royalist and so are all of her many friends who have come to wish her well, I think there are rather more Royalists out there than you might think @TH,  but the media coverage is somewhat over the top, I totally agree. I can't escape it, small house, semi deaf mother, very loud TV 🙂

That said they are the Royals that seem to have by far the common touch, which makes me rather admire them, and I'm no Royalist at all.

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got Presbyopia

Presbyopia is the normal loss of near focusing ability that occurs with age. Most people begin to notice the effects of presbyopia sometime after age 40, when they start having trouble seeing small print clearly — including text messages on their phone.

I guess that was best case scenario!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35% primary vote means the libs will die on preferences, as both labor and the libs will have directed to phelps in preference to each other

 

a rare occasion where the preferential voting system scores a win for australia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Well I got Presbyopia

Presbyopia is the normal loss of near focusing ability that occurs with age. Most people begin to notice the effects of presbyopia sometime after age 40, when they start having trouble seeing small print clearly — including text messages on their phone.

I guess that was best case scenario!

join the club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×