Caelum

What's on your mind?

sitting at work on my second last shift before i change jobs again... it's raining - probably not quite hard enough to justify sitting in my car - but sitting in my car i am, because i am not getting wet for the hell of it when i'm only a bit over an hour into my shift... ? 

~6hrs to go.... 

We have level two water restrictions going at present. Today we had some of the wet stuff ! Only a bit mind, and it was a bit chaotic with the wind gusty and looking overall worse than it actually was. My windscreens are clean without my input so that's nice .

I was in the area and couldn't resist to drive the extra few blocks to have another look.  This time with phone camera and prodding stick handy.

Shitty lighting with a mix of glare and shade so this is an extract from the best pic.  Real for sure, the head was somewhat infested with insects and the body a bit bloated and skin starting to deteriorate.

2NF6DZq.jpg

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

phone camera and prodding stick

Yikes!  Wonder what killed it - doesn't look like a typical roadkill.

Hmm,

Either a fox or another snake Cybes, they get very territorial this time of year.

Cheers

Yeah - the initial thought that it was a toy yesterday was because it was so intact.  I was in a situation where I didn't have any time to spare so didn't investigate further.  But curiosity and the fact I was close by today meant I had to go have another look.

insane ! sitting here enjoying yet another coffee. Amazing that we've gone the gammit from stove top brewing to espresso machines and electric grinders and returned to the most basic of stainless steel hand grinder and st/steel plunger pot. Makes a lovely clean and tasty black coffee .mmmm

Have you played with the various pourover/filter types of coffee? 

They're about the only ones I can stand, and only if it's a non-espresso bean.

I have 2 in the morning and the night one I try to have finished before 8:30pm.    As much as I like the flavour, the last one usually means the second wind kicks in about 2 hours after and forget about sleep for another one and a half after that.
Been a bit lazy lately, not using the press as much and just doing instant for the night time one.  1.5 of Blend 43 + 1 of Blend 43 Cream&Smoothy is a pretty OK mix.

In other news, Subway coffee is shit, McD's coffee is actually pretty good.

i started with a bialetti moka pot (aluminium) when i first lived on my own,  and moved up to a stella (stainless steel voluptuous work of art)  - both italian stove top machines that boiled water through the coffee dose and made a satisfying "pwwwwwuuuuuuughhhhh !" as it went off, announcing that strong coffee was ready

thereafter got an aldi pod machine, then a via venezia thing with an auto-pressurised almost espresso design, that could be modded to be a real espresso device

then someone at ocau offered up a lelit single boiler with built in conical burr grinder with all the necessaries, for a crazy cheap price - and delivered it and made me a perfect  flat white on it to show what it could do (with practice)

it was irresistible, and having been recommended withams coffee (elephant beans and super mocha both equally delicious but quite distinctly different), i can barely stand shop made stuff any more unless it is exceptionally good - the learning curve was a bit steep (totally manual machine), but the results are rewarding once dialled in

56278f5f6a20a.jpg

pulling a double shot that is almost completely crema which then clears like an  on tap guinness to a creamy head on deep brown liquid is awesome

and the smell of freshly ground beans is fantastic

Edited by scruffy1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-04/telstra-outage-leaves-hundreds-of-offenders-unmonitored/10463642

monitoring devices a sure thing till the server craps itself for what ever reason. And not just a short slightly embarrassing crap of a half hour or so, but over tweny-four hours worth of crap fest. Up here telstra crapfest affected eftpos machines for most of the day on Friday.

13 hours ago, Nich... said:

Have you played with the various pourover/filter types of coffee? 

not since the early days of drip filter machines and the likes, no. Not a fan of paper filters or even tea bags these days ... keep it simple has become my motto

The other day we shared a coffee with friends at their place. It was instant coffee. And while the cups were rather nice to drink from the water glass was absent and the coffee was not terrible, but not inspiring.

^^ is pretty much the reason I rarely do coffee outside my own home. During my working week I drink water while out and about. I dislike talking to people with coffee breath ( especially milk coffee breath ), so I don't inflict it on them either. Mind you, I drink half a litre before
leaving home and then another half litre on my return. << is black and no sugar.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/coles-in-40-million-claim-against-tax-office-over-disappearing-fuel-20181104-p50dvm.html

Coles wants 40 million back from ATO because it "lost" 107 million litres of fuel from evaporation or leakage apparently. Yes well, if your fuel tanks are leaking go fix them Coles but instead they let them leak more and try to get tax back for their own incompetence. Fuel tanks leak all the freaking time. I saw some fuel tanks being dug up because a new petrol station was replacing it, I'm sure all the dirt around those tanks was soaked in old dirty fuel because you could smell it.

Edited by Jeruselem

Let them have it, then fine them $60 million for environmental damage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eveln said:

^^ is pretty much the reason I rarely do coffee outside my own home. During my working week I drink water while out and about. I dislike talking to people with coffee breath ( especially milk coffee breath ), so I don't inflict it on them either. Mind you, I drink half a litre before
leaving home and then another half litre on my return. << is black and no sugar.

here's mine (prior to adding the warm milk, which i like)

this is a minute after i made it, when the crema has "settled" some

shot.jpg.9043f9f3b8ca2028351c33f1d86b4cb3.jpg

• Like 1

Over 5km of canoeing yesterday.  Great day with son.

Problem.  The canoe from 1 end of lake to other is approx 2km.  

Going back...  The wind was blowing against us.  Often we were going backwards.  We often had to beach the canoe when the gusts really picked up to prevent excessive backward drift.  

Didn't realize it til I did a GPS track.  1 extra KM of paddling just from being blown backwards by wind.  

I think I'm allowed to complain about arms being sore today.

AD

7 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

here's mine (prior to adding the warm milk, which i like)

It's not that I hate milk per say, it's just that I don't seem to want it very much at all. Next time someone near you has a milk coffee, go have a convo with them ... it be stinky breath ? << just so you know, this be nauseated face

1 hour ago, AccessDenied said:

I think I'm allowed to complain about arms being sore today. 

'Hair of the dog'  is what you needed to do ...you know out there canoeing again today ... woulda fixed those sore arms right up :P~~

Edited by eveln

I have in my posession now a shop AIO WIn7 machine that was inflicted with the Rapid Ransomware early yesterday morning.

Prettywell any document and even accessable DLL it could get it's hands on it's encrypted.

The lucky thing is that there's daily backups to cloud so disruption wasn't too much.  Just pulling licence info and event logs + registry off the thing then zero-fill and reinstall Windoze onto it.

Geez: various Syd toll roads over a few days recently (trips: 3 x M2, 2 x LCT, 2 x M7 & a cppl others) - total $42!!!
AND pretty much the entirety of a lengthy $7.38 M2 (Thurs arvo peak hour) trip was either at a crawl or slow through roadworks.
Don't mind paying a bit for reasonably good flow & motorway distance, but that's a but much.

10 hours ago, ssar said:
Geez: various Syd toll roads over a few days recently (trips: 3 x M2, 2 x LCT, 2 x M7 & a cppl others) - total $42!!!
AND pretty much the entirety of a lengthy $7.38 M2 (Thurs arvo peak hour) trip was either at a crawl or slow through roadworks.
Don't mind paying a bit for reasonably good flow & motorway distance, but that's a but much.

Multiply by your cost by the zillions of cars travelling along with you. Yet another show of big biz cashing in

12 hours ago, ssar said:

And the government have been handing these roads to private operators so the customer is held to ransom because you cannot avoid using these roads

OMM: Post.

Ok, so backstory: a couple months ago my mouse died suddenly and catastrophically.  It might have been fixable with a new microswitch and some soldering, but I had neither the switch nor an iron, and mice are cheaper than a decent station so fuckit.  Race up to Big-W for a cheap shit replacement so I can at least do *something* - out I roll with a glitzy 'Gecko' 5-button.  This thing is trippy: basically the whole frame is translucent plastic, with black grippy stuff outside and tribal/flamejob cutaways that let the colour-changing LEDs shine through.  Feels ok in the hand.  Action is positive. Tracking is ok.  No lag that I notice (but I'm not a twitch gamer).  Huh - bargain.

Well, no.  Turns out the microswitches in it must have been rated at maybe a million clicks, 'cuz the thing developed double-click disorder about a week ago, and it's been getting steadily and rapidly worse.

Order new Logitech G-Pro from PCCG; that arrived today.

Right, so here's where 'Post' comes into it: PCCG delivery blurb says they can't deliver to PO Box because you need to sign for it, so they need an actual delivery address.  Ok by me - I give it.  No delivery guy ever turns up.  Not even a van driving past the house.  Instead, I get a txt from the PO that my package is waiting for me.  IN MY PO BOX.  I have to sign for it there, but still.

While I'm at it... The reason I have a PO Box is simple: they won't deliver mail here.  They claim that all the roads around here are 80km/h and that's scary dangerous for the poor scooter dude who has to play in traffic since there are no footpaths.  ...  Yeah.  a) No, they aren't; b) yes, there are; and c) BOO-fucking-HOO YOU IMMENSE BABIES!  Those 'scooters' are able to break the state speed limit here, let alone manage 80k.  And do we get our POB for free since you won't do the free delivery?  FUCK NO!

Grrr!  And "GRRR!" again, I say!

--

/notices 'Hero' tag.

Hey now..!  When did *that* happen?  Um... Thank you to whoever did that!?

Edited by Cybes
Sudden thunderstrike.

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

While I'm at it... The reason I have a PO Box is simple: they won't deliver mail here.  They claim that all the roads around here are 80km/h and that's scary dangerous for the poor scooter dude who has to play in traffic since there are no footpaths.  ...  Yeah.  a) No, they aren't; b) yes, there are; and c) BOO-fucking-HOO YOU IMMENSE BABIES!  Those 'scooters' are able to break the state speed limit here, let alone manage 80k.  And do we get our POB for free since you won't do the free delivery?  FUCK NO!

We have to pay cos our locale was too small an area for posties that need to be paid. Now tho the locale is growing and very soon I reckon the post office is gonna run out of room for PO boxes. So we pay about fourty bucks a year for a PO box.

As for your area and the no postal scooters, what's the dog situation like ?