Caelum

What's on your mind?

I just drove up Anzac Pde and past the War Memorial 20 minutes ago... just the usual tourist crowd at the various memorials on the parade and a couple of thousand foldup chairs sitting in front of the AWM, no doubt there's news coverage tonight about that.

So, barely 3 hours after the 100th anniversary ceremony it's business as usual.  Like I said, little disruption or cost.  And you could have lived in one of the houses 200 metres away and barely known anything was going on.

We were home by 11.30 too a much needed swim. I think I perspired continuously for an hour and a half. It was also the centenary of the local Sub branch too

i was reminded when there was a substantial "whoosh" overhead and i headed out on the balcony to see 3 low flying jets in formation disappearing over the hill to the north

i expect they did a pass up the harbour and over admiralty house at 11am and were headed back to newcastle (williamstown)

On 11/9/2018 at 1:45 PM, scruffy1 said:

only 6 more sleeps till the feds conscript you to their plan of a nationalised privacy reaming

opt out of the my health record soon, or feel the power (which you may not enjoy)

A bit late on this Scruffy, but why do you say that ?

I'm genuinely interested because my own doc seems pretty relaxed about it in fact thinks it is a good idea overall to give him in theory rapid access to new patient records.

I had that happen when I moved here, I don't see doctors much but my first doc here had to contact my S.A. doc to get background and my U.K records have I suppose totally disappeared unless I or a doctor make a formal request.

Here when I moved across the city my new doc was able to get my records from the other W.A. doctor very quickly, it was no issue.

Are there privacy issues? Druggies for example, or prostitutes I suppose but I would have thought the Hippocratic oath would cover that.

Genuinely interested to know what down-sides you can see.

Cheers

the system was designed around opt in, and the privacy settings reflect that approach

the medical aspect is the least of your worries; identity theft is way more problematic when it gets hacked (not if)

the concept is good, the execution makes the census look like good work

this quote at the end of the 8000+ word regarding privacy on the mhr site tells you enough to run away :

We reserve the right to revise this privacy policy or any part of it from time to time. Please review this Policy periodically for changes. Any revised policy will be placed on our website. Your continued use of our website, the My Health Record system, requesting our assistance, or the provision of further personal information to us after this privacy policy has been revised, constitutes your acceptance of the revised privacy policy.

fyi :

My Health Record – please read this information

In medicine we are obliged to gain "informed consent" for any intervention, most definitely if there is potential for an adverse outcome, yet the government demonstrates that "uniformed lack of dissent" is enough to let them do what they want. I strongly recommend that all Australians without complex and life-threatening medical issues take time to consider the potential consequences of not opting out of the "My Health Record" while they can. You can always reconsider at leisure, but with regards to being conscripted, should you later decide against continued inclusion - "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

The government shows a remarkable absence of conscience in not being completely open about a significant change in arrangements which has potential to affect all Australians and informing them individually as a matter of course, rather than imposing an unfair arrangement on their behalf without requiring explicit agreement.

My recommendation is that you check the following links and then make an informed choice. If the government doesn't want to tell you about their pending arrangements, I feel it's my duty as your doctor to bring this matter to your attention so that you are able to have the opportunity to defer your participation until the system is tested in the real world. No ethics committee would allow me to undertake a potentially dangerous trial without your voluntary agreement, and only then if you had no other acceptable options.

For some patients this system should hopefully be a useful tool for assisting in their care, but for most people it has much more risk than benefit. It's your record, sure. So it makes sense that it's your choice whether you need to enable it at this point in your life, or whether you accept its limitations at a later date where it justifies the risk. Hopefully by then my paranoia may be proven baseless, but perhaps your objection to being involuntarily given an unproven treatment will be vindicated.

the case for opting in :

https://theconversation.com/my-health-record-the-case-for-opting-in-99850

the case for opting out :

https://theconversation.com/my-health-record-the-case-for-opting-out-99302

further reading worth consideration :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...tal-transformation-boss-has-concerns/10006788

the current privacy policies of My Health Record (a long read, not for the faint of heart) :

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/about/privacy-policy

but this is enough to get the idea :

Changes to this privacy policy
We reserve the right to revise this privacy policy or any part of it from time to time. Please review this Policy periodically for changes. Any revised policy will be placed on our website. Your continued use of our website, the My Health Record system, requesting our assistance, or the provision of further personal information to us after this privacy policy has been revised, constitutes your acceptance of the revised privacy policy.

If you decide to have a record created, you need do nothing and it will happen automatically.

If you personally request the pending automatic enrolment to be put on hold, you are free to opt in at any later time. If the government had continued to enrol people at their own request, this action would not be required, and I would not have needed to encourage your active dissent to allow you the same freedom of choice. A choice you will lose on 15 October  November (they added a month due to public complaints) this year if you let it lapse.

To opt out : https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record

addit : fwiw, this thing has been almost 20 years in the process - i was a member of the original working party on the core data set in (maybe) 1999 - and it took a long time to get going, before being transferred from the (mainly) doctors with i.t. knowledge to a bunch of government appointed bureaucrats (nehta), who eventually got replaced due to budgetary over-run i believe (no references at hand), and then got launched as the opt in pcehr which was dismal in its uptake before being re-branded mhr and changed to opt out under the control of the uk boss who was the senior person involved in the 13 billion quid failure there

suggesting another 6 months to fix this is, as sir humphrey would say " a very courageous decision"

late news :

" The director of privacy at the agency behind My Health Record has quit amid claims the organisation and Health Minister Greg Hunt's office have not been taking the concerns of internal privacy experts seriously enough. "

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/my-health-record-s-privacy-chief-quits-amid-claims-agency-not-listening-20181107-p50elu.html

in spite of "pending stronger privacy legislation", and the suggestion that later withdrawal will delete your records, there is no certainty of either possibility

run away !

screaming..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Edited by scruffy1

A pretty intense day. but for the last hour or so some lovely rain has happened.

Private companies in UK could microchip employees, it's currently voluntarily.  Well starting with this company BioHax, but I'm sure others will be watching! BioHax are in the industry of tracking people so they using their own employees as guinea pigs.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/11/alarm-over-talks-to-implant-uk-employees-with-microchips

Edited by Jeruselem

21 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

the system was designed around opt in, and the privacy settings reflect that approach

the medical aspect is the least of your worries; identity theft is way more problematic when it gets hacked (not if)

the concept is good, the execution makes the census look like good work

this quote at the end of the 8000+ word regarding privacy on the mhr site tells you enough to run away :

fyi :

My Health Record – please read this information

In medicine we are obliged to gain "informed consent" for any intervention, most definitely if there is potential for an adverse outcome, yet the government demonstrates that "uniformed lack of dissent" is enough to let them do what they want. I strongly recommend that all Australians without complex and life-threatening medical issues take time to consider the potential consequences of not opting out of the "My Health Record" while they can. You can always reconsider at leisure, but with regards to being conscripted, should you later decide against continued inclusion - "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

The government shows a remarkable absence of conscience in not being completely open about a significant change in arrangements which has potential to affect all Australians and informing them individually as a matter of course, rather than imposing an unfair arrangement on their behalf without requiring explicit agreement.

My recommendation is that you check the following links and then make an informed choice. If the government doesn't want to tell you about their pending arrangements, I feel it's my duty as your doctor to bring this matter to your attention so that you are able to have the opportunity to defer your participation until the system is tested in the real world. No ethics committee would allow me to undertake a potentially dangerous trial without your voluntary agreement, and only then if you had no other acceptable options.

For some patients this system should hopefully be a useful tool for assisting in their care, but for most people it has much more risk than benefit. It's your record, sure. So it makes sense that it's your choice whether you need to enable it at this point in your life, or whether you accept its limitations at a later date where it justifies the risk. Hopefully by then my paranoia may be proven baseless, but perhaps your objection to being involuntarily given an unproven treatment will be vindicated.

the case for opting in :

https://theconversation.com/my-health-record-the-case-for-opting-in-99850

the case for opting out :

https://theconversation.com/my-health-record-the-case-for-opting-out-99302

further reading worth consideration :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...tal-transformation-boss-has-concerns/10006788

the current privacy policies of My Health Record (a long read, not for the faint of heart) :

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/about/privacy-policy

but this is enough to get the idea :

Changes to this privacy policy

If you decide to have a record created, you need do nothing and it will happen automatically.

If you personally request the pending automatic enrolment to be put on hold, you are free to opt in at any later time. If the government had continued to enrol people at their own request, this action would not be required, and I would not have needed to encourage your active dissent to allow you the same freedom of choice. A choice you will lose on 15 October  November (they added a month due to public complaints) this year if you let it lapse.

To opt out : https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record

addit : fwiw, this thing has been almost 20 years in the process - i was a member of the original working party on the core data set in (maybe) 1999 - and it took a long time to get going, before being transferred from the (mainly) doctors with i.t. knowledge to a bunch of government appointed bureaucrats (nehta), who eventually got replaced due to budgetary over-run i believe (no references at hand), and then got launched as the opt in pcehr which was dismal in its uptake before being re-branded mhr and changed to opt out under the control of the uk boss who was the senior person involved in the 13 billion quid failure there

suggesting another 6 months to fix this is, as sir humphrey would say " a very courageous decision"

late news :

" The director of privacy at the agency behind My Health Record has quit amid claims the organisation and Health Minister Greg Hunt's office have not been taking the concerns of internal privacy experts seriously enough. "

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/my-health-record-s-privacy-chief-quits-amid-claims-agency-not-listening-20181107-p50elu.html

in spite of "pending stronger privacy legislation", and the suggestion that later withdrawal will delete your records, there is no certainty of either possibility

run away !

screaming..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Ah privacy issues - never worry about them much, the systems are a bit of a joke, if you get concerned... well, hackers will be 🙂

Cheers

Person in charge of MHR resigned because Greg Hunt has been ignoring privacy concerns about MHR, but then that's Greg Hunt being himself.

i like to pronounce his name as "greg cunt"

if you do it right it just sorta sounds completely correct

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Two days left to opt of My We Love Spy On Your Health Records system!

maybe not

20h ago16:34

Senate passes motion calling for extension of My Health Record opt-out period

The Senate has just passed a Labor motion with crossbench support calling on the government to extend the opt-out period for the My Health Record rollout.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/nov/12/morrison-polls-terrorism-politics-live?page=with:block-5be910e2e4b0e38128cb1b75#block-5be910e2e4b0e38128cb1b75

2 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

maybe not

20h ago16:34

Senate passes motion calling for extension of My Health Record opt-out period

The Senate has just passed a Labor motion with crossbench support calling on the government to extend the opt-out period for the My Health Record rollout.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/nov/12/morrison-polls-terrorism-politics-live?page=with:block-5be910e2e4b0e38128cb1b75#block-5be910e2e4b0e38128cb1b75

How about we just erase the system and forget we had it ...

Went to my first Tae kwon do training session in 8 weeks, it was so good to be back even if I didn't train.

Helping out was good and if I pull up ok I'll get back to 3 nights a week. With luck I'll be ready for my next dan grading in June 2019.

Mango time ! An R2E2 the other night and a Calypso just now. omfgoodness !

5 hours ago, eveln said:

R2E2

Gotta watch those - they blow their motivators a lot.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cybes said:
8 hours ago, eveln said:

R2E2

Gotta watch those - they blow their motivators a lot.

Yeah, that's a hazard, but this one got eaten before it had a chance

So people, anyone thinking of travelling to Ireland don't pack your G-strings. Leave them at home ... you don't want to be thought to be enabling / asking for a rape experience .  If a rape experience should happen you might have a chance of having the rapist jailed if you

wear your trusty full size cottontails or y-fronts  ... definitely no lace or other random frilly bits please.

57 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

when I can buy my first 50 cal sniper to shoot rats?

I would pay money to see you attempt that.  Especially in a basement.

Being a one-time sport shooter, I can guarantee you that these folks were already active when Pt Arthur and the Buyback happened.  I am not in the least bit surprised that they are still here - indeed I'm only surprised that the media are making anything of it now when they've ignored 'em so long.

• Like 1