Caelum

What's on your mind?

On 08/12/2018 at 2:27 PM, Rybags said:

I saw a 20 game Atari 2600 joystick for $20

<shrug> Comparable to making a MAME cab if not cheaper. Rather fewer games, but also no questionable legality either.

Actually Aldi had/has arcade cabs on sale.  I think one is Williams based with Defender and other early-mid 80s games.

But they're asking way too much.  Something like half the height of a real standup machine and over $250.

Dealing with federal government software licensing ... what a complete maze. State government, councils? No problems. Federal government? Bureaucracy central

Edited by Jeruselem

Went into Rebel Sport looking for AFL gear for a mate's b'day.  Nothing, useless.  They had a few racks of soccer and basketball, the only AFL stuff was some footballs.

Eating turkey sanger for lunch... funny how you may as well just eat wet cardboard if it doesn't have cranberry sauce on it.

Anyone want to be the Chief of Staff for the White House? Current one retired (or decided it's a crap job) and Trump's designated replacement suddenly decided to quit his current position as Chief of Staff for Pence ... to avoid taking this job. Is this job a Poisoned Chalice?

Edited by Jeruselem

Voyager 2 now in interstellar space (just under 6.5  years after Voyager 1)

okay, so i recently became aware of an actor/comedian, Chris Gethard, son of Ken.

now, as a man called Ken Gethard advances in age, do you suppose there will be a time when he changes his name to Kent?

Coral bleeching isn't just a thing on the reef in Qld, it's worse here in the NT. Probably means we're not going have a lot of fish around in the future here. Our mangroves are shrinking too ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-14/coral-bleaching-nt-coast-sea-surface-temperature-rise/10617892

Edited by Jeruselem

Feeling too tight to buy a replacement internal drive so thinking I'll just put a rack in and run a new 2 TB I have sitting in the cupboard as a hotswap.

I've not really done it before but it's just a case of enable hotswap in the Bios, ensure AHCI mode is set and have Intel Rapid Storage Technology software installed, no ?

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

I've not really done it before but it's just a case of enable hotswap in the Bios, ensure AHCI mode is set and have Intel Rapid Storage Technology software installed, no ?

Pretty much.  Not even sure you need the intel stuff going? 

Probably not - I tried it out on another machine that has the bay installed but no OS so just used Hiren's Boot CD off a flashdrive which is a custom Windows 10 PE job and it seemed to work OK.

The bay has a slide switch which takes the drive on/offline and I assume also cuts all the power including it's ventilation fan.

I assume it's the same old same old like flashdrives - you can make it hotmountable like that, but unless you tell windows to dismount it, you risk losing stuff in the cache when you power it down.

I think you have to eject them to be totally sure... or possibly the Intel software helps there.

It's been so long since I installed Windows on this machine - I do remember throwing in a registry hack that stops my fixed drives appearing on the eject list.

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

The magic ingredient in Johnson & Johnsons baby powder seems to be ... ASBESTOS.

Hmm,

See other thread re Pharmaceutical giant...

Cheers

I don't know why this asbestos/baby powder thing is News now - my first-year high school art class cancelled talcum carving because the news about asbestos in talcum powder had just broken.  That was in the freakin' '80s!!

• Like 1

I think there was no proof talc was problematic earlier with no real studies. But now, proof exists asbestos laced talc has proof it does cause cancers. And the industry has been denying it's products have asbestos.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

I don't know why this asbestos/baby powder thing is News now - my first-year high school art class cancelled talcum carving because the news about asbestos in talcum powder had just broken.  That was in the freakin' '80s!!

TBH, it might well have been cos we were not a family prone to spending money on things other than those needed to provide warmth and sustenance ; but as a kid growing up in a large family talcum powder would've been a bit of a luxury for us.

I do recall seeing it at my cousins and some friends houses when we did sleep-overs. I have two memories concerning talc powder . The few times I came in contact with it it made me cough was one.
Second relates to a grown -up at that time saying that talcum powder was for lazy people.
People who did not dry their bodies sufficiently before re-dressing, and, or did not change the nappies of their offspring with the required frequency << included in this last was that perhaps the washing of the cotton nappies was also less than satisfactory.
I don't remember the woman's name today but I do recall I was not allowed to put my pyjamas on till I had spent a good long time drying myself off first ... for a five or six year old that was extremely tedious. I have to say though I sorta took her words with
me as I grew and have never bought a talcum powder of any brand, nor have I needed it. ... funny how some things stick  ?

Just breathing in a dust that fine whether it has asbestos or not can prove to be nasty on one's innards. ... but for those using it to keep their crotches and under-arms  free of whatever it's gonna be even nastier

2 hours ago, eveln said:

Just breathing in a dust that fine whether it has asbestos or not can prove to be nasty on one's innards. ... but for those using it to keep their crotches and under-arms  free of whatever it's gonna be even nastier

i remember learning that its supposedly common for English people to use talc for drying themselves.  dont know if thats true, but i suppose it would make more sense in places where towels tend to stay permanently damp. 

i tried it a couple of times as an adult for novelty sake.  i dried myself thoroughly regardless, but the talc did produce a comfortable feeling of slippin' and slidin' around inside my clothes. 

growing up though, i was always told that stuff is "unhealthy" haha

The actual purpose is for use on areas that can get sweaty but not evaporate like feet, baby butt-cheeks etc as a rash preventative.  Using it while the skin is still wet defeats the purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

... i suppose it would make more sense in places where towels tend to stay permanently damp.

I've become used to the ' not quite as dry as in the winter months ' state of all my washing  ... can't imagine even trying to use a talcum powder up here < shudders with disgust at the messiness of blobs of powder >

@Rybags  don't want to think about how the babies' butt cheeks look after it's nappy becomes wet ... that's just horrible for the kid ... no wonder they cry soo much ... bloody blobs of talc accumulated in amongst the rest of it