Caelum

What's on your mind?

James 4:8a New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Rybags said:

This might or might not end well - Windows 10 1809 has been generally available for 13 days and I just changed my MBP settings to the targetted channel to receive it.  Though I imagine the general pleblic will receive it in the next month or 2 anyhow.

My home laptop recieved 1809 on the first of Jan 2019, installed and rebooted ... like nothing happened (the SSD in my laptop is pretty fast)

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

Most of it happens in the background - and generally the stuff during reboot is sometimes so fast on an SSD that you can turn around and miss it.

Edited by Rybags

$100 voucher for wine from an amazon purchase ... postage to darwin $52. Well that's actually reasonable but not worth it damn it.

• Sad 1

Nope,

Never used them but a couple friends did and were affected. One had travel insurance the other didn't so lost the cost of a fare, dunno where he was going but he is not exactly short of cash so unlikely to care much.

Cheers

I know I've commented on basmati rice before, but by hell it's a marvel ...! you just know that something that smells so damn wonderful whilst cooking is just gonna be sooo good to eat too ... < looking imploringly hopeful at the dude here cooking >

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, Nich... said:

If the price on the 8s came down slightly more, it'd look like good value. As it is, not all the features are better than the (cheaper) 7+. At basically $600, the 8s feels too close in price to the pixel2 (which is still too expensive given the 3 is now out).

Did some phone shopping/research with my partner on the weekend and they kept flipflopping between the 8s and the 7+ or maybe nothing and just keeping their 6.1.  I think the 6.1 is not bad for a small budget phone, and it got Pie last month (I think), but I'm not much a fan of the LCD screen and she's not a fan of how slow it can feel, and the 7+ and 8s both fix elements of that but not really both (for what I'd consider decent value, anyway).

As an early adopter of the nokia 8 TA-1004, I can tell you it's been a disappointing purchase. Buyers regret here. I thought clean android would be excellent... but it isn't. It's too on the edge to be polished, and HMD's implementation of some of the most basic software has been woeful.

My next phone will definitely be a brand name phone again. (I know Nokia is a brand name... but it's a puppeted corpse of its former self)

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Can't you put Linearage OS on it instead? Linearage OS 16 can be loaded on them new Nokias (not the case with 15 apparently)

Edited by Jeruselem

Ideas?  Trying file recovery on a (originally NTFS) drive that inadvertantly got put onto a Mac then allowed to be used as a backup (only ~ 3.6 Gig overwritten).

The problem being I use EaseUS data recovery wizard and it finds 100,000+ files just fine but at the end of the operation it decides only the Mac HFS files (which the disk is formatted as now) can be recovered.

Disk is 1 TB with the usual 200 Meg EFI part, main part then little bit of unused at the end.
The idea I have is to just reformat the thing as NTFS then hope that those files get picked up (EaseUS is "good" enough that it can scan through drives that are unformatted, partly corrupted or not mounted).

Currently doing a clone on it so that I can perform work on it without damaging the original, which is a right pain as it's grinding along at 49 Meg/sec.

Posted (edited)

Opal tower looks like to be been a lemon when completed, flawed from day 0. So, since the apartments in it are essentially pretty much worthless since no one will buy them, what will happen to mortgages on those apartments?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-04/opal-tower-has-design-and-construction-issues-say-engineers/10685324

Speaking of stuff breaking, a rotten Apple sends the stock markets crashing in 2019

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-04/asx-tumbles-dow-jones-660-point-drop/10685096?section=business

Edited by Jeruselem

On 02/01/2019 at 5:45 PM, NZT48 said:

James 4:8a New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.

Shouldn't you ask Ben first?

21 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

As an early adopter of the nokia 8 TA-1004, I can tell you it's been a disappointing purchase. Buyers regret here. I thought clean android would be excellent... but it isn't. It's too on the edge to be polished, and HMD's implementation of some of the most basic software has been woeful.

My next phone will definitely be a brand name phone again. (I know Nokia is a brand name... but it's a puppeted corpse of its former self)

Ended up getting the 7+ on sale. That LCD screen is my least favourite bit, because it's LCD, and because there's an issue with the screen or firmware such that it won't drop below 17% brightness which is too bright for night use.

From what I've seen of android one, it's not too bad? Tho I definitely missed pixel specific bits.

Mum got a chinese spy phone ... Huawei to replace her current chinese spy phone.

5 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Ended up getting the 7+ on sale. That LCD screen is my least favourite bit, because it's LCD, and because there's an issue with the screen or firmware such that it won't drop below 17% brightness which is too bright for night use.

From what I've seen of android one, it's not too bad? Tho I definitely missed pixel specific bits.

Oh that night light is annoying! I hate the on screen clock because of that. I just put my hand over the front facing cameras until it turns off. Definitely getting an OLED next time.

Nokia promised continuous updates of the latest android OS's for all their phones... which is why I bought it. But the Android 8 is getting Android One/9/Pie in a cut down version, some parts of it are being removed. Was supposed to get it before the end of the year but low and behold it hasn't arrived yet.

Ugh... never will I buy a Nokia again.

2 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Mum got a chinese spy phone ... Huawei to replace her current chinese spy phone.

Yeah I'm put off by the Chinese spy phones. No thanks.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

Nokia promised continuous updates of the latest android OS's for all their phones... which is why I bought it. But the Android 8 is getting Android One/9/Pie in a cut down version, some parts of it are being removed. Was supposed to get it before the end of the year but low and behold it hasn't arrived yet.

Ugh... never will I buy a Nokia again.

I haven't followed the original 8 at all post release. What're they cutting down/out?

2 minutes ago, Nich... said:

I haven't followed the original 8 at all post release. What're they cutting down/out?

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/19/nokia-8-android-pie-update/

Since the Nokia 8 isn’t a part of the Android One program, its Android Pie update can leave out a few things. Sadly, that includes features such as Adaptive Battery, app actions, and more. Digital Wellbeing also isn’t supported, but that’s mainly because the app only supports Android One devices at the moment.

Gesture navigation isn’t included due to the hardware buttons, and the update also doesn’t deliver Nokia’s new camera interface seen on other devices. On the bright side, December’s security patch is included.

Chinese phones are doing some good things, but no thanks from a security pov at the moment.
Also, that sucks about your phone. I thought it was in the A1 program.

I'm also pretty tired of the update support from Motorola, LG, Samsung and etc.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, Nich... said:

Chinese phones are doing some good things, but no thanks from a security pov at the moment.
Also, that sucks about your phone. I thought it was in the A1 program.

I'm also pretty tired of the update support from Motorola, LG, Samsung and etc.

Update support from those companies are useless... but I find that their overlays (especially samsungs) are just much more intuitive and enjoyable over stock android. I really am displeased with stock android.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, fliptopia said:

How is Xiaomi with updates? I've never used one. 

I think they would be as good as the above name brands considering they use an overlay. Although their Pocophone is on the Android One program - I believe - so it should get regular updates being stock (again I believe) android.

Would be keen for a pocophone... but it has no NFC, and I use that a fair bit now.

I'm not a fan of the custom launchers and general skins OEMs use on Android. I've found Samsung has gotten better over the years but if still a pain. Just not as big a pain as Huawei lately.

One thing I will give to Samsung: including apps that can handle voice notes, and hyperlapse photography, by default, is a sane move.

OMM: FUCK!  /worry

Mum's just been driven sedately off by Ambulance after we hit the figurative panic button when she exhibited ~40% of the posted female heart attack symptoms.  She's 80, so it's an unreasonable call...  Ambos don't seem particularly concerned - but I guess they wouldn't (don't want to scare your patients).

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

OMM: FUCK!  /worry

Mum's just been driven sedately off by Ambulance after we hit the figurative panic button when she exhibited ~40% of the posted female heart attack symptoms.  She's 80, so it's an unreasonable call...  Ambos don't seem particularly concerned - but I guess they wouldn't (don't want to scare your patients).

Sorry  to hear Cybes.

A combination of my family have had to get my mum to hospital seven times in the past twelve months and I'm close to calling one again right now, my mother has been having a panic attack most of the night and the stubborn woman persists in refusing to take a Valium but instead took a small dose of Xanax.

Similar drugs but very much not the same - believe me I know about panic attacks, her own doctor wants her off Xanax and use Valium as needed. Apparently the latter can affect her respiration and she is home on 2L per min of oxygen which has just been turned up to 3L, by me, as recommended by a doc.

When symptoms dictate hospital is the best place to be.

Best wishes Cybes, she'll be fine.

Cheers

16 minutes ago, chrisg said:

When symptoms dictate hospital is the best place to be.

Total agreement - personal experience alone puts that in 40' high letters of fire.  She was just going to tough it out - as freakin' usual.  E...  <stops typing to answer doorbell>

Aand she's home.  Clean bill of health - in that regard, at least. (80 - there are known other problems)

OMM: relief. 😉

🙂

Good to hear, precaution is better than consequence, always.

Cheers

• Like 1