Caelum

What's on your mind?

On 01/02/2019 at 8:36 AM, rs727 said:

In my head i'm thinking what makes a good fridge?

Keeps things cold? Check

???

So what is this fridge doing that's getting scruffy all giddy?

from my review at the time :

now a few months into it, and would recommend this product without hesitation

be aware that it is both wide and deep; we had to remove the front door from our house to (just) allow it to traverse the entrance area - once in though, that volume proves valuable for maximum storage, and it is stylish in a way that grows on you with familiarity, and like the tardis, externally belies the expanse hidden within once the doors open

it is so close to completely silent that i struggle to hear it working, and i am really fussy about unnecessary sounds disturbing my ambience - in fact it was plugged in for 3 days before i realised someone had connected it during our renovations 🙂 - even the ice drawer has a foam mat to deaden the potentially offensive sound of ice blocks dropping into the tray

the un-plumbed ice maker is really efficient and a much more clever concept than needing to connect your fridge to a pipe somewhere - the reservoir slides out and back in effortlessly, and the drawer holds a major stash of ice cubes that magically never stick together

access to all areas / compartments is easy, and the relative storage area sizes are appropriate for the things they need to contain

the doors need to be shut with more intent than our previous fridge, but the benefit is they don't close on you prematurely when you are still getting stuff out (or loading it in), and they alarm after a time if you have neglected closing them right - albeit fairly quietly (politely as is the japanese way) compared to our prior fridge

this is the fridge you are seeking... and a 5 year warranty into the deal

and now maybe 3 years later, i have nothing to complain about, except maybe the gauge of the metal on the front leaves it a somewhat susceptible to dents

it has never been defrosted, and has yet to produce any frost that wasn't programmed to happen (the ice tray)

fruit and vegetable keep fresh almost forever, and it is really easy to access every item stored

but most of all, it is so so silent that i never find myself checking the computer to see of something has crapped its bearings, like i used to with the previous fridge (it sits almost directs behind my desk chair, about 7 metres away) - even in the dead of night is is indistinguishable from background noise - i have hearing that notices sounds other people miss - maybe 4 decades of experience using a stethoscope does that ?

was it expensive ? fuck yeah - in my current impecunious state post cancer sabbatical i wouldn't even consider it

was it worth it ? double fucking tick; i suspect it may last longer than i do

re the wine rack - if you desire you can easily fit 8 bottles (upright, as cork is passé in the twenty first century) in a multi-purpose slot at the front of the vege drawer, or probably at least 4 in the quick chill drawer that is like an accessory freezer - where you can rapidly chill stuff to transplant into the main freezer so you don't ruin its perfect cold with warmer stuff that needs to cool, like leftover stew or soup, for freezing)

the freezer  is actually in the lower middle part of the layout, so it is effectively insulated by "normal" cold compartments above and below, making it more efficient at maintaining cold

energy rating of 3.5 stars

have a look :

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/mr-ex655w-multi-drawer-refrigerator.html

read the reviews :

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/mitsubishi-ex655/m/mr-ex655w-n-a-655l-platinum-light.html

rare event that nearly everyone that owns one was impressed enough to rave about it, rather than being dragged down by those who only logged on to complain

one buyer obviously needs a new carrot vendor; everyone else seems pretty chill (as it were) - "bad" reports were largely down to local issues, not the fridge

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

Hmm,

Very nice, bit rich for my blood but love the idea of a separate veg drawer and un-plumbed ice maker plus standing height fridge compartment.

Mitsubishi rarely seem to get anything much wrong, although my long ago unlamented Galant GSR was definitely a friday car - good when it was running 😞

Cheers

Oo Oo fridges again ! I like fridge talk :) ... now that we have one that doesn't destroy our soul and ears and enlargen our electricity bill, that is.

scruffy's sounds dreamy. We live in a shoe box so scale would be our issue... have to build an annex to house us ... no need to put the fridge out there cos it's soundless by all accounts.

Our Beko which is the other end of the scale re size cost and ice-maker, is doing just fine thankyouverymuch. It came to us secondhand but in mint condition at the beginnig of Dec. last year, so just around two months-ish.
In our shoe box, you have to pointedly stop and listen for it's hum.
Even in my quiet early morn time it's great. Not noiseless, but the quiet hum of it maintaining temp is sorta relaxing cos I know it's working.

Very impressed by how it cares for our produce ...given the time of year this is critical testing time for us. There's just the two of us and even though ice is a must for my scotch it's easy-peasy whilst one is still a part time drinker :)

OMM...

In my real life I've lived in the same area for the past nineteen years and for that I will be considered a newcomer for at least the next thirty ;) I can live with that . Curious that in my on line life ( here)  the same or similar will be said of me.

No doubt it is a tricky time for those in Townsville tonight .

Black Saturday tenth anniversary stuff all weekend. It's a shame some are using it as some kind of pissing contest on who lost the most/least and who is allowed to have a say about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eveln said:

And for a few days. I'm glad my brothers place is ok for now but feel for those already dealing with it. 

6 hours ago, fliptopia said:
9 hours ago, eveln said:

And for a few days. I'm glad my brothers place is ok for now but feel for those already dealing with it.

Your brother's place not in line of water coming from the dam being opened then ?  It's funny, but my relo's have been contacting me this weekend to make sure we be high and dry ... when for us up here it was the last fortnight when things got
particularly damp ... this weekend we've been out and about !

@Nich... I've been reading some of the stuff on my abc news feed ... let's hope some of the 'greenies' now are taking a more 'educated' look at preserving the forests while still allowing human habitation. Bushfires will happen regardless, but
there are ways to better ensure safety too

11 hours ago, eveln said:

Some of the local wildlife is looking for lunch ...

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Some of the local wildlife is looking for lunch ...

Nows the time to get a pet croc. It's easier than ever to coax one into your back yard. 

12 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Nows the time to get a pet croc. It's easier than ever to coax one into your back yard. 

Just make sure the kids don't turn themselves into the croc's lunch unattended.

There are several combinations of words that should never appear together.  One of those combinations is "poop" and "explosion".

Oh dear god.

And my 24" LCD monitor just killed itself ... good thing there's new one on the desk opposite me

On 04/02/2019 at 9:28 PM, Rybags said:

Cool - 40th Anniversary of Mad Max celebrated in central Victoria https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-03/mad-max-40th-anniversary/10775336

i know it's an australian classic, but i recall seeing it debut in a theatre in adelaide and thinking what a completely shallow movie it was, with really poor acting

it has held up well in that it is like the 1970's did a marvel movie, but i find them equally silly, although the special effects sorta carry them... unlike fury road, which was like a tortuously stretched mtv clip

any villain wearing a hannibal lechter mask is just so "me too, i'm bad"..... yawn....

The thing with Mad Max movies - original was like the Blair Witch project - next to zero budget and went on to overachieve and held the world record for spend to profit ratio for years.  So it's to be expected that the cheesiness factor would be somewhat large.  And it was supposed to be a throwaway movie sort of like other Oz car movies of the era such as The Cars that Ate Paris and Running on Empty.

MM2 was a case of "hey, we're about to hit the big time" and had a more generous budget and better script though the story's worth 8/10 and dialog might get a 5.

MM3 was a case of "let's play Hollywood" and did so in that it was a rehash of it's own old ideas and not a particularly good movie.

Fury Road - the story OK, the dialog once again barely registering, and the Oscar haul sums it up well in that the technical merits far outweighed the artistic ones.

But that said though, just can't wait for Miller to make another one!

• Like 1

first time I saw " The cars that ate Paris " it freaked me right out

whilst it's true that ^^ movie did freak me out, I really wanted to make a post so i could use a period emoji ... but we don't have that option 😣 << persevering face

On 07/02/2019 at 10:27 PM, eveln said:

first time I saw " The cars that ate Paris " it freaked me right out

i actually enjoyed that movie, especially the vw "hedgehog"; the cars actually pre-dates mad max by almost half a decade, and was possibly somewhat plagiarised by miller's movie - bruce spence went on to star in mm2 and further i believe

and the dialogue was so un-pc you'd never hear it now  "yer full vege, or a half-vege ?"

Car crashes into airport infrastructure (protected by some chicken wire fence) and causes delays at the airport. Well good thing is wasn't some 4WD which would have wrecked the cabinet.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/no-sugar-coating-this-car-crash-to-cause-delays-on-airport-line-until-thursday-20190211-p50wy6.html?utm_medium=Social&amp;utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1549859162

Handy site - it's a right PITA sitting there pumping on the "Show more" on a YouTube video comments stream then scroll max to bottom and repeat dozens of times.

Instead - just add "xtras" to the URL directly after "youtube" - the site will create a page with the original video and the full comments stream in place.

Note - since I'm running adblocker, script protection etc from Avast, no idea if this site tries any funny business, but it seems fully legit.