Caelum

What's on your mind?

The past few weeks have been emotionally exhausting. Listening to people I once trusted talk about Pell and Jackson, saying they don't believe the alleged victims and there should be a statute of limitations....

Had one suggest that memory is so fallible, 'we remember what we want to remember'....

As a person who has suffered sexual abuse, it's absolutely fucking heartbreaking to hear the people who claim to care about you spout their hurtful opinions and make you question if you've ever been believed....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, deadpeep said:

The past few weeks have been emotionally exhausting. Listening to people I once trusted talk about Pell and Jackson, saying they don't believe the alleged victims and there should be a statute of limitations....

Had one suggest that memory is so fallible, 'we remember what we want to remember'....

As a person who has suffered sexual abuse, it's absolutely fucking heartbreaking to hear the people who claim to care about you spout their hurtful opinions and make you question if you've ever been believed....

Well... They're kinda right, in a way: human memory basically amounts to stories we tell ourselves over and over that were probably based in fact, but the accuracy is really dependent on a whole lot of things that aren't what actually happened. That's supported by a tonne of studies.  But abuse victims generally had multiple incidents, which vastly reduces error rates, *and* trauma imprint as well, which is known to make really strong impressions anyway - right down to re-evoking emotions felt at that moment in PTSD attacks.

I don't think a "statute of limitations" should ever be applied to things where there are ongoing effects for the victims of those crimes.  You get over theft - you don't just get over being raped.

BTW: Deadpeep! 🙂  Nice to see you again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to go fix a bug that was like 0.7% chance of causing a problem ... in one database

Now ... what do to with 24GB of DDR3 ECC stripped out of a server to be thrown out

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Now ... what do to with 24GB of DDR3 ECC stripped out of a server to be thrown out

sell it on ocau

5 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

sell it on ocau

it had dual Xeons but no disks. HP ML350G6, it was just to big for me to justify taking home. If it was a rack mount, different story.

OMM ... I like tomatoes. Would be truthful to say I love them . And yet three days after I paid five dollars and some coin for four tomatoes, I'm still incredulous that I did that.

3 minutes ago, eveln said:

OMM ... I like tomatoes. Would be truthful to say I love them . And yet three days after I paid five dollars and some coin for four tomatoes, I'm still incredulous that I did that.

yeah, i love tomatoes.  do you eat them like an apple like my asian friends?

one of my favourite things is thick tomato slices on toast with just a bit of salt

End times. You should see what I had to choose from in Coles tonight. 

It is a little bizarre when a can of fully imported Italian tomatoes is sub a dollar for 450gms but fresh from local suppliers are heading off into caviar territory.

Same with bloody lemons, some stupid price at Coles, we and half the houses in the street have trees groaning under the load of ripening lemons with first picking likely tomorrow.

Cheers

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

one of my favourite things is thick tomato slices on toast with just a bit of salt

I used to but I can't get tomolatoew that taste good enough these days. Well I'll eat a punnet of those nice cherry tomatoes but that's a little different. 

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

Since the scare of needles in food stuffs, I cut into pieces all the foods I eat, but yes I've been known to just eat pieces, slices whatever ...

As well as fresh there's cans of toms in the cupboard too. I'm told the costs atm are due to the massive widespread floods .

tomatoes grow like weeds in our backyard... so do weeds

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

More rain for Qld, and another cyclone. Like Qld needs more rain ...

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/queensland/2019/03/18/queensland-cyclone-trevor/

Hah ! and us luck would have it, I'm at home today and it seemed like a good day to mop the floors and shit. Mind you that was a good idea at seven thirty this morn ... been falling out of the sky now since about nine ...

13 minutes ago, eveln said:

Hah ! and us luck would have it, I'm at home today and it seemed like a good day to mop the floors and shit. Mind you that was a good idea at seven thirty this morn ... been falling out of the sky now since about nine ...

And in Darwin we're having the worst wet season since ... 1952!

Got one of those scammy ATO phone calls, the number is from VIctoria interesting ...

Probably a redirect J, they most always are.

Sometimes myself or others bother to hack them, most always disappear in to Asia.

By the "worst" wet since 1952 does that mean very wet, or not much rain ?

From something you posted a while back I'd gather the latter.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Probably a redirect J, they most always are.

Sometimes myself or others bother to hack them, most always disappear in to Asia.

By the "worst" wet since 1952 does that mean very wet, or not much rain ?

From something you posted a while back I'd gather the latter.

Cheers

Yes, 1952 is very dry. Bugger all rain here! And the monsoon just didn't happen. Last year was wet ... due to a cyclone