Caelum

What's on your mind?

23 minutes ago, eveln said:

HAH ! Nup it was $388.00 ...lol

Winning! Like ... Joshy's budget surplus!

10 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Winning! Like ... Joshy's budget surplus!

Basically it comes down to our new-beaut-second-hand Beka fridge. I'm sure of it. Last quarter's bill was down too, but the fridge did the full quarter with us for this one and it's about $50.00 cheaper again ... it all adds up 😉

faaark !

our bill was $388.49

you win.... although there's 4 of us, and that incorporates at least 5 electric kiln firings into the bargain ... like, 1100 celsius  for several hours at a time using triple phase

but i think our fridge is more efficient than yours 🙂

My last one was annoyingly high, and it looks like the low comparitive prices we've had here a while are almost over.

But at least now it's the time of year where climate control is barely needed so the next bill will probably be a good bit smaller.

Feeling tempted to build some sort of cheap low-wattage torrent-box and just sleep this computer when I'm not around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

you win....

Not comparing our bill to yours, or for that matter anyone else's then yes we did win.Our bills over the last ten years have been nothing short of horrific. I've come close to shedding a tear over the crippling amounts of some of them.

However, I fucking hate howevers, not only did ours come out ten cents higher than yours, there's only two of us, and I happen to know you have a very serious fridge. So whilst I'm bloody relieved to be only paying just over $388.00

... comparatively it should only have been about $100.00, but I don't think electricity companies do " shoulds ."

@Rybags A year or so before our fridge and stove replacements we had some old wiring repaired/replaced, it helped a bit obviously, but not to this current extent.

Posted (edited)

Looks like Packer sabotaged the talks between Crown and Wynn to start a bidding from other buyers to get a better offer I'm guessing, and it backfired

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/crown-s-secret-attempt-to-start-a-bidding-war-20190410-p51csn.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1554883683

Edited by Jeruselem

On 09/04/2019 at 11:35 PM, chrisg said:

They were ok, stopped making or eating them much years ago, had one to please her, they sort of lost their relevance, I'm not religious anyway but hocking them from Boxing Day was sort of missing the point.

Relevance. Lol.

14 hours ago, eveln said:

Not comparing our bill to yours, or for that matter anyone else's then yes we did win.Our bills over the last ten years have been nothing short of horrific. I've come close to shedding a tear over the crippling amounts of some of them.

However, I fucking hate howevers, not only did ours come out ten cents higher than yours, there's only two of us, and I happen to know you have a very serious fridge. So whilst I'm bloody relieved to be only paying just over $388.00

... comparatively it should only have been about $100.00, but I don't think electricity companies do " shoulds ."

@Rybags A year or so before our fridge and stove replacements we had some old wiring repaired/replaced, it helped a bit obviously, but not to this current extent.

my best discovery was that i used the local comparison site to renegotiate gas billing; electricity is already as good as it gets

then i had a recalculation and discovered (i thought) that a different plan was "better" and asked on the phone to change again

the bad news ?  my initial calculation neglected a slightly better discount, although on reflection, the gas price is "locked" for 2 years on the one i took, and i douby gas will get cheaper - quite the opposite; on projected use, currently i might be $10 worse off; if the standard price rises ensue, that will be reversed in no time

the good news ?  i won a $50 bonus for taking the initial option, and after cancelling less than a day later, i will still get that bonus, plus the lesser bonus for the second billing

from memory they did that when i re-jigged electricity (twice), and i ended getting double the bonus

my conclusion ?  given how weird the system is, if i change my plan often enough it appears they will credit me more than the bill after a while... i wonder if that's possible ?  doesn't look like their marketing people expected to get taken by the players using the system to their own benefit

• Haha 1

So much for optimistic bill predictions.  Electricity bill arrived and not the smaller one I'd hoped for.  But whether it was a meter read or trend prediction I don't know.

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

my best discovery was that i used the local comparison site to renegotiate gas billing; electricity is already as good as it gets

then i had a recalculation and discovered (i thought) that a different plan was "better" and asked on the phone to change again

the bad news ?  my initial calculation neglected a slightly better discount, although on reflection, the gas price is "locked" for 2 years on the one i took, and i douby gas will get cheaper - quite the opposite; on projected use, currently i might be $10 worse off; if the standard price rises ensue, that will be reversed in no time

the good news ?  i won a $50 bonus for taking the initial option, and after cancelling less than a day later, i will still get that bonus, plus the lesser bonus for the second billing

from memory they did that when i re-jigged electricity (twice), and i ended getting double the bonus

my conclusion ?  given how weird the system is, if i change my plan often enough it appears they will credit me more than the bill after a while... i wonder if that's possible ?  doesn't look like their marketing people expected to get taken by the players using the system to their own benefit

Oo Oo hang on a jif, electricity is our only source of power  ... that means we do actually ' win ' re our costs for power 😉

A news vid of Assange showing him being put into a police type van, looking not so debonair. Perhaps a change of accommodation will improve his state of being.

8 hours ago, eveln said:

A news vid of Assange showing him being put into a police type van

I notice they're not even pretending it's about sex crime or local infringements any more - straight to "for deportation to the US".  Which is exactly what he always said it was about.

If he hadn't been an asshat to his hosts... But that's like asking the LNP for a sensible climate policy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Cybes said:

I notice they're not even pretending it's about sex crime or local infringements any more - straight to "for deportation to the US".  Which is exactly what he always said it was about.

If he hadn't been an asshat to his hosts... But that's like asking the LNP for a sensible climate policy.

I'm amazed that he was put up with, and in turn, he himself didn't go beresk much ealier tbh.

edit: pretty sure the sex assault charges were dropped. This will now be about information leaks

Edited by eveln

27 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Yes, it was all about extradition to the United States of Derp in the end.

" Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Assange would not be given any special treatment but would be treated like any other Australian and receive consular support.

"When Australians travel overseas and they find themselves in difficulties with the law, well they face the judicial systems of those countries, it doesn't matter what particular crime it is they've allegedly committed," Mr Morrison said.

"That's the way the system works."

... except Assange didn't actually have to go to the country to break their laws, apparently ... so it's not quite the same thing is it Scummo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-remanded-in-custody/10995458

21 minutes ago, eveln said:

" Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Assange would not be given any special treatment but would be treated like any other Australian and receive consular support.

"When Australians travel overseas and they find themselves in difficulties with the law, well they face the judicial systems of those countries, it doesn't matter what particular crime it is they've allegedly committed," Mr Morrison said.

"That's the way the system works."

... except Assange didn't actually have to go to the country to break their laws, apparently ... so it's not quite the same thing is it Scummo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-remanded-in-custody/10995458

The charges laid against him were from Sweden and USA, so whatever Slow Mo said has no relevance to the matter.

19 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

The charges laid against him were from Sweden and USA, so whatever Slow Mo said has no relevance to the matter.

Yeah I had thought The Swedes had dropped their charges ... but it seems they picked them up again

19  Conclusion

Bullshit is a consequential aspect of the human condition. Indeed, with the rise of communication technology, people are likely encountering more bullshit in their everyday lives than ever before.

Profundity ratings for statements containing a random collection of buzzwords were very strongly correlated with a selective collection of actual Tweets from Deepak Chopra’s Twitter feed (r’s = .88–89). At the time of this writing, Chopra has over 2.5 million followers on Twitter and has written more than twenty New York Times bestsellers.

Bullshit is not only common; it is popular. Chopra is, of course, just one example among many. Using vagueness or ambiguity to mask a lack of meaningfulness is surely common in political rhetoric, marketing, and even academia (Sokal, 2008). Indeed, as intimated by Frankfurt (2005), bullshitting is something that we likely all engage in to some degree (p. 1): “One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share.” One benefit of gaining a better understanding of how we reject other’s bullshit is that it may teach us to be more cognizant of our own bullshit.

The construction of a reliable index of bullshit receptivity is an important first step toward gaining a better understanding of the underlying cognitive and social mechanisms that determine if and when bullshit is detected. Our bullshit receptivity scale was associated with a relatively wide range of important psychological factors. This is a valuable first step toward gaining a better understanding of the psychology of bullshit. The development of interventions and strategies that help individuals guard against bullshit is an important additional goal that requires considerable attention from cognitive and social psychologists. That people vary in their receptivity toward bullshit is perhaps less surprising than the fact that psychological scientists have heretofore neglected this issue. Accordingly, although this manuscript may not be truly profound, it is indeed meaningful.

On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit

Installing clean Windows 7 on a Dell E5540 for the boss ... taking forever because just getting the drivers to install is a PITA

Nice take on Assange's arrest:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

Rumour has it he threatened to expose corruption within his host's homeland. Cat neglect makes a good story tho.

• Haha 1

It was pretty much accepted that the charges in Sweden were trumped up, had been withdrawn but now apparently back on the table.

He has some justification to be expatriated to France, his son lives there but the Americans want him as well.

I suppose two questions, is the Sweden situation being revived to keep him away from America or is Wikileaks holding a lot of dirt on Trump that it could threaten to release to keep their hands off or force them to be very lenient on him?

BTW, Morrison was really just stating the obvious, as an Australian citizen he is entitled to consular assistance but no special favors - doubt he would expect any or even ask for it.

Cheers

Fuck this 2-step verification bollocks.  All I'm wanting to do is download a program from the MS store that's to update a Samsung computer.

The verification code gets sent by email and takes 2-3 minutes to arrive if you're lucky.

So I change to mobile phone, and they say it'll take a month to update.

Morons, morons, morons.

And cheapskates at Samsung for not just having the drivers and such on their website like almost everyone else.

But she won (?)

I suppose some of the other horses offered good odds?