Caelum

What's on your mind?

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

But she won (?)

I suppose some of the other horses offered good odds?

i didnt bet.

I JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT, and dont understand why half the country does.  isnt there some super fast cockroach out there we could all be having a circle jerk over instead?

• Like 1

🙂

I love horses, always have, grew up on a horse stud, but I don' much care about horse racing, never had a bet never would.

However that is one beautiful horse, I hope she enjoys a long happy retirement.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

circle jerk about cockroaches ... yeah NEVARRR ... just the look of those insidious creatures makes my skin crawl .

up here they do toad racing, which I s'pose is slightly ethically better than playing golf with them, or stuffing them to make even creepier looking souvenirs . People are just weird

I saw and by passed the four or five articles on my newsfeed the other day about the horse called Winx . I mean fucksake it's not even Melb. Cup time.

Edited by eveln
left out " with them "

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

I JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT, and dont understand why half the country does.

I suspect it's a related phenomenon to why half the country doesn't give a shit about some of the things we give a shit about... 

[Re: Horse Racing]

3 hours ago, @~thehung said:

I JUST DONT GIVE A SHIT

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

I suspect it's a related phenomenon to why half the country doesn't give a shit about some of the things we give a shit about... 

Personally, I don't give a shit about almost every sport - or even *every* sport depending how you define "sport".  (I have passing interest in motor racing, target shooting, snooker, and have even been known to watch golf - ie: individual skill, not effort or teams, seems to be the focus)  That *most* people change the channel when a science (or even history) program comes on, and in preference to that will sit through their 13th re-watch of some romcom or drama is completely bewildering to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

Personally, I don't give a shit about almost every sport - or even *every* sport depending how you define "sport".  (I have passing interest in motor racing, target shooting, snooker, and have even been known to watch golf - ie: individual skill, not effort or teams, seems to be the focus)  That *most* people change the channel when a science (or even history) program comes on, and in preference to that will sit through their 13th re-watch of some romcom or drama is completely bewildering to me.

yeah, i am very eclectic and random in my sports watching.  but even with the things i really get into, theres the question of how much of it you need in your life. 

i mean, i love ice cream, but i dont eat it every meal.   beyond a certain point, sport is just useless fast food for the mind.  and its peculiar that we live on a constant diet of it in this country.  lately ive been recording ABC news breakfast and fast forwarding to the good bits.  it bewilders me that across 3 hours of coverage theres maybe 8 mins of sport for every half hour.   thats. too. fucking. much.  news stories get rehashed ad nauseum, but quite often they develop throughout a day.  oh but whats that? Joe Blow is rumoured to have a bit of a crook knee and is looking suspect for the whateverthefuck game next friday?  well then, be sure to update the nation on that knee every half hour, because obviously we need info like that to manage our brokelads betting portfolios, plus, its endlessly fascinating in its own right.  thank you, news service, youre a real credit to the power of the technology. 

motor racing is a funny one to me, because i can easily get into the technical side of it but can also laugh along with those who think its just cars going around in circles.  but horse racing is unambiguously double fucked.  not only is it bereft of anything to chew on mentally, its really is just people torturing animals the right amount to keep them running around in circles real fast for years. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

but horse racing is unambiguously double fucked.  not only is it bereft of anything to chew on mentally, its really is just people torturing animals the right amount to keep them running around in circles real fast for years.

... and then just shooting them . <<< thinking on that tho, it strikes me as a mite more humane than putting them through countless months / years of suffering trying to keep them alive

• Like 1

😉

Female horses unless injured in a race do not generally get shot, especially if they are winners, likewise stallions but geldings can have a brutal end if not rescued by a horse lover who keeps them as a sort of pet.

It is or can be a useless and brutal industry, horses deserve better.

On the stud I grew up on we had an N.Z. sourced stallion, Cracksman, a bit difficult to find detail on him, would have died long ago since he was born in the 60s and the name has been recycled but he was a superb horse, very intelligent.

Being he was out to stud he needed some exercise so I used to ride him most mornings. Loved to jump but more than once decided a fence was too high and just tossed me over it then waited for me to get up, shake his head at me and off we'd go again.  🙂

Must have lived a long time and whilst I don't follow the bloodlines probably sired a lot of great progeny.

I don't watch racing though, or much sport at all , Bathurst and this year the Clipsal 500 here in S.A. the odd casual race I guess but nothing else.

I agree, far too much sport on television, makes you wonder about the intelligence of the average Aussie sometimes.

Cheers

Notre Dame. What a bummer. 

Spewing the missus and I didn't manage to squeeze it in when we were in Paris (okay, I didn't get around to booking the tickets). She's gonna be dark on me for that all over again...

• Like 1

I've noticed renovations are common cause of fire with these old structures

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Um yes 😉 But I reckon there'd still be a strong group of people willing to find the readies to keep Notre Dame a vibrant part of our history.

/ I am assuming a deal of sarcasm contained in Jeruselem's post...

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, eveln said:

Um yes 😉 But I reckon there'd still be a strong group of people willing to find the readies to keep Notre Dame a vibrant part of our history.

/ I am assuming a deal of sarcasm contained in Jeruselem's post...

Actually none, renovations are quite risky because construction work itself as a potential source of fire from equipment used

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Actually none, renovations are quite risky because construction work itself as a potential source of fire from equipment used

Ooopsie ... just my cynical thoughts then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

56947160_2300587393332920_15246895744863

Oh but ain't that just so on the money ?! Cheap and nasty to the bitter end ... It's a global phenomenon

i wonder if god is raining fire and brimstone on the established religious hierarchy ?

On 4/16/2019 at 9:27 AM, Jeruselem said:

The wood in the roof so dry and much of the wood at ground level rich with oil and wax from centuries of care.

21 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

i wonder if god is raining fire and brimstone on the established religious hierarchy ?

He missed Rome by a fair way. I'll give him points for the right continent and type of building... 

28 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

I think if God was going for the scum within the hierarchy,  God would have used somthing a bit more target specific, hmmmm like lightening bolts, or somthing less obvious like a never ending series of personal misfortunes.

Dont know why he would burn down Notre Dame, a beautiful, and much beloved by the secular and faithfull alike sacred space.

Somtimes shit just happens.

2 hours ago, eveln said:

Cheap and nasty to the bitter end ... It's a global phenomenon

Thank the neoliberal scum who've given us this paradigm.

Speaking of neoliberal scum...

Irony is this fire has forced the UK to think about fixing that leaky mess called the House of Commons which is in a state of disrepair.