Caelum

What's on your mind?

🙂

Dulux was an ICL (UK) brand, but been listed a long, long time so ownership sort of moves around although the Japanese seem very keen on hanging on tight.

The Australian brands are Solver, and I think Wattyl, one of my brothers is a professional painter, but there has been so much consolidation in the industry he hardly knows just what he's buying these days.  He was a very long term fan of Solver.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:
5 hours ago, eveln said:

Cheap and nasty to the bitter end ... It's a global phenomenon

Thank the neoliberal scum who've given us this paradigm. 

I don't really have the desire to thank anyone for this mentality of sociopathic cheap scapery .

Slightly related - similar consilidation in the tool industry.  Sort of funny how Black and Decker, which has been a somewhat crap brand since the 80s, owns DeWalt which is regarded as a premium brand.

Oops, maybe should say "Stanley Black & Decker" - but on that note I've been a big fan of Stanley stuff but it seems to have taken a bit of a dive lately.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

ooeee !

for the first time since m$ attempted to force win10 on me earlier in the decade, they have ramped up their stance

today a spontaneous window appears on my win7 desktop, breathlessly announcing that winter is coming... no, wait... end of win 7 support is coming

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information?OCID=win7_app_omc_win

what can i do ?  can i still upgrade ? well, apparently per their link, no

There was a promotional free upgrade offer available when Windows 10 first released, but that offer expired on 29 July 2016.

You can purchase and download Windows 10 on your device today. However, if your computer is more than three years old, it might be time to consider upgrading to a new device. We would love to help you find a computer that’s faster, safer, and delivers the new features Windows 10 has to offer before your current PC slows you down.

We’d love to help find one that fits your needs and budget.

but i am resolute, and unplug my sammy 850evo, and attach the old vertex3, and fire up the win10 install usb i whipped up a little earlier

some minutes later, i offer it my win 7 ultimate key, and it blesses me with authentication for win10 pro

lying m$ fuckers

that's as devious as when canon notified me the lide 35 scanner was unable to work with win7, and offered me some $ towards a "necessary upgrade", and i then loaded the lide 60 drivers and it's working still...

hmmm... must check how the lide35 does with win10 i guess

apparently it's time i considered new hardware too, because  :

PCs originally built with Windows 7 are running 10-year-old technology. Windows 10 has many of the same features and capabilities from Windows 7 built into the experience. Once you move to a new PC, there will be many aspects of the experience that you will find familiar, but also with important innovations and capabilities that were not available ten years ago. Take a look at these innovative new features available with Windows 10 on a new device:

• Newer PC hardware that is faster, more capable, and more compatible with the latest industry technology.

no wonder e-waste will pollute the planet in exponential production of "superseded technology", because idiot consumers believe what they are told

tldr : take advantage of your free win 10 update today, regardless of the bullshit they tell you

Edited by scruffy1
my feble speeling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had to put Windows 7 on relatively modern laptop, took me half the day due to drivers. Laptops are worse than desktops due to their weird assortment of wifi, bluetooth and fingerpint sensor drivers. If it was Window 10 I was loading, most of the time I wouldn't have been chasing these drivers. Oh yes, Windows 7 and USB 3 drivers aren't fun to install either ...

Edited by Jeruselem

30 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:
tldr : take advantage of your free win 10 update today, regardless of the bullshit they tell you

yeah, that's been a known 'bug' for the last few years.  They really want you to move to the new unified OS, but if you want to pay for it too, go nuts.

That being said, win 10 pro without a valid key works pretty much fine, you just can't change the desktop theme (and there's a watermark).

my biggest annoyance is all the hardware that will be potentially redundant thanks to their shitfuckery

i have a whole lot of flashing tools for drones / phones / tablets that might require a major overhaul, and in all honesty, i am too old and tired to give a rats for the "experience"

Heh,

I pretty much gave up on 10 a while back and did what I'd often threatened and went Linux, Ubuntu on my main laptop, Mint on my netbook.

It really annoys me that as with previous Windows versions it's bloody near impossible to get 10 on media - did not think to create a dongle at the time, should have, but I really just wanted to have a look.

What I saw really did not impress me much nor did it several customers although Classic Shell helps for those who hate change.

The whole "older hardware" excuse really is a load of bollocks, one thing about 10 is that it's pretty light on hardware but not as much as Mint.

Hardware manufacturers have a real issue these days, gear lasts longer and new OS' have plenty of resources to use so short of catastrophic failure or wanting new bells and whistles there is very little incentive to go buying new.

With Linux as an ever more compelling option MS are in a deal of strife, especially as more and more productivity can just be done in a browser.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

yeah, that's been a known 'bug' for the last few years.  They really want you to move to the new unified OS, but if you want to pay for it too, go nuts.

That being said, win 10 pro without a valid key works pretty much fine, you just can't change the desktop theme (and there's a watermark).

Install XP or 7 without a license and it's a pain. Windows 10 oddly, not such an problem.

I was going to put Linux on that dodgy Dell 3500 laptop but it has severe overheating problems (hardware). In Windows 10, takes a minute to throttle the CPU down 50% via power saving. In Linux, forget it ... too much fudging around

Avoid the Win10 forced update by running an unlicenced Win7 copy.

But really... there's like 9 months support left unless you want to actually pay for extended support which is being offered to volume licences at near extortionate rates (like the cost of a new licence PA).

Win 10 agreed has some PITA features but it can be made somewhat livable.  And 95% + of the time anyway you're in an apppication and the only sign of what OS is running is the "window dressing".

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Avoid the Win10 forced update by running an unlicenced Win7 copy.

But really... there's like 9 months support left unless you want to actually pay for extended support which is being offered to volume licences at near extortionate rates (like the cost of a new licence PA).

Win 10 agreed has some PITA features but it can be made somewhat livable.  And 95% + of the time anyway you're in an apppication and the only sign of what OS is running is the "window dressing".

I've put Windows 10 on two Windows 7 era laptops, the current gaming Laptop will stay in Windows 10. Actually one of those laptops was running Windows 8 (because the 7 installed died), but it runs Windows 10 better than it ran Windows 8.

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

my biggest annoyance is all the hardware that will be potentially redundant thanks to their shitfuckery

i have a whole lot of flashing tools for drones / phones / tablets that might require a major overhaul, and in all honesty, i am too old and tired to give a rats for the "experience"

Add Hyper-v and run win7 from a VM, if you need to?

35 minutes ago, chrisg said:

It really annoys me that as with previous Windows versions it's bloody near impossible to get 10 on media - did not think to create a dongle at the time, should have, but I really just wanted to have a look.

With Linux as an ever more compelling option MS are in a deal of strife, especially as more and more productivity can just be done in a browser.

1. 'bloody near impossible' = download it for free from MS?

2. MS office runs through a browser too, if you want.  MS running Windows as SaaS means they're going to see less and less revenue from Windows, compared to their productivity and cloud stuff.

:)Agree on point 2, much as I'm no fan of Office 365.

Point 1 is fine until you get a know-it-all customer who is sure you are using a pirated copy - of a free download, but try explaining that to some of the older folks in non-IT companies...

Cheers

I just buy cheap retail keys for Windows 10 off eBAY from Europe (where it is legal to resell keys unlike Nazi USA)

• Like 1

i'm playing with linux mint some too

but the drivers for such things as serious sound cards, or physX for gaming, or even a large number of steam titles, is rather deficient

sure, firefox, open office, and thunderbird are easy to get

but the faffing around required to get my opentx (taranis radio control) and silverware (microdrones utilising keil and stm) is really work i don't need

so i have regretfully resigned to my fate with win 10, although i won't be putting it on the bigger ssd until i'm forced to next year... but pleased that it's a freebie if i must

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm playing with linux mint some too

but the drivers for such things as serious sound cards, or physX for gaming, or even a large number of steam titles, is rather deficient

sure, firefox, open office, and thunderbird are easy to get

but the faffing around required to get my opentx (taranis radio control) and silverware (microdrones utilising keil and stm) is really work i don't need

so i have regretfully resigned to my fate with win 10, although i won't be putting it on the bigger ssd until i'm forced to next year... but pleased that it's a freebie if i must

It all comes down to drivers. If the Linux peeps don't write drivers for that dobobby dohicky device no one uses, then you have to do yourself.

Hmm,

My needs in general are pretty generic really but I've so far had no problems with any drivers for Ubuntu or Mint. Midnighter has been a 'Nix nut forever and never seems to have any problems. The Ubuntu driver support seems very good but I haven't pushed it. Sound and Video cards I'd think very little trouble but a radio control unless there is a big fan with the skills possibly not.

It's been a very, very long time since I had to code a driver, doubt I could anymore but I do suspect I'll end up dual booting for some odd reason some day. Some analysis tools  are picky enough with Doze versions let alone 'Nix.

Cheers

I had a play with WSL the other week when testing out some configs for nginx and it's nice to have it there as a shell but I'm pretty glad I don't have to chmod shit all day to get things working.

Provocative title, I know - I didn't choose it.  David's guest is not actually ranting soley about Fox, but rather about filter bubbles, how they relate to news, and the roots of their causes and sustenance.  Interesting chat, I thought.

Just why any civilised nation has anything to do with Saudi... The quicker the place runs out of oil the better.

I nearly worked there many years ago, glad I did not. I've passed through a number of times, lovely people, shit rulers.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Just why any civilised nation has anything to do with Saudi... The quicker the place runs out of oil the better.

I nearly worked there many years ago, glad I did not. I've passed through a number of times, lovely people, shit rulers.

Cheers

Glad you're not a civilised nation.

37 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Cheers

The USA and Saudis created the petro-dollar, forcing other nations to use the USD to buy oil in the USD. Making the USD the defacto world currency.