Caelum

What's on your mind?

🙂

I've lived in, and visited, some VERY uncivilised nations Nich, Saudi is pretty bad, but for really uncivilised places Uganda in the time of Amin probably took the cake.

Very true J,  although I'm told a lot of oil transactions now happen in Bitcoin - no idea if that is true, I only buy oil by the refined litre 🙂

Strange that the U.S. is now far less dependent than it was on oil imports, courtesy of shale oil I guess but the M.E. sure created a lot of American oil billionaires.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I've lived in, and visited, some VERY uncivilised nations Nich, Saudi is pretty bad, but for really uncivilised places Uganda in the time of Amin probably took the cake.

Very true J,  although I'm told a lot of oil transactions now happen in Bitcoin - no idea if that is true, I only buy oil by the refined litre 🙂

Strange that the U.S. is now far less dependent than it was on oil imports, courtesy of shale oil I guess but the M.E. sure created a lot of American oil billionaires.

Cheers

USA has oil reserves but seems to prefer buy it from the Saudis. Australia, we have less than 2 weeks reserve - if that! I think digging up that dirty shale is rather more expensive than the cleaner Saudi stuff.

Edited by Jeruselem

Hmm,

I have no idea, I had thought shale was easy to get hold of,  more expensive to refine.

Australia keeps playing the limited reserves card, it's not strictly true. The tapping of the North-west shelf reserves is kept at a fairly low level. Have been out to rigs several times, all the guys make mention from time to time that there could easily be more rigs but it's not particularly economic at the moment.

Likewise I met a wildcat driller way back in the 70s who had been well paid to drill and cap wells in the NT and Northern W.A. I didn't believe him much at the time but have seen a couple of those since.

That would all take time to exploit of course but the oil companies play an interesting game of controlling supply against demand, OPEC are pretty public about it.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Crikey! waking up after a sleep of over a quarter of a century ... a bummer to find the grey hair and wrinkles well and truly set in... no laugh lines or frown disfigurements though...And so it would be for the woman in a German hospital today.

Edited by eveln

At what point is homeopathic medicine bought from a pharmacist not 'fit for purpose' and eligible for a refund under ACL, do you think?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nich... said:

At what point is homeopathic medicine bought from a pharmacist not 'fit for purpose' and eligible for a refund under ACL, do you think?

Isn't that the thing though? They aren't even allowed to say it will work. It has some wishy washy *may* help with these things. As long as panadol doesn't have to clear up a headache I think they'll get an all clear. Maybe they need cigarette style warnings saying "not actual medicine, can't harm you but can't help you either"? 

1 hour ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Still just a hypothesis.

I'm wondering if cats enjoy licking their butts clean.

I think so. They do it with some gusto... And ignore their food 😕

reminds me of that old joke :

why do dogs lick their balls ?

because they can

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

... And then, and then directly after they lick their best friend's face 

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mother.

Back in hospital again for the 13th time in 16 months. This time with hypercalcaemia - excess calcium in her blood, and suspected diverticulitis.

That now means she has chronic leukemia, a failing heart, congested lungs, macro-degeneration, a melanoma on her leg and these latest conditions.

Her body is failing, I honestly have no idea if this time she will be coming home.

Not at all a cheery thought.

She's one bad flu or cold away from getting buried by the looks of it. Not good

Hmm,

Which made it not easy looking after her over Easter because I had a cold - picked it up from one of the kids in my large family here. Fortunately she did not get it and I'm over it but with a family that includes two teachers and a large number of kids in primary and kindy colds go around very fast with them all. Our immune systems are robust, hers is not so all those that can, like my BinL keep their distance when infectious. I couldn't so just had to be very, very careful.

Flu is rampant in Adelaide at the moment with many cases hospitalised so she is in both the right and the wrong place.

Dunno, all we can do is wait and see.

Not good at all.

Kids are just germ magnets, they pick up every freaking virus going round.

🙂

It improves their immune systems - adults who lived sterile lives through ill-advised parenting tend to cop it somewhat.

Me   ?

I grew up in the dirt,  so did my mother, it takes robust bugs to bring us down, but, I do think her defenses are near exhausted and I think it getting time for her to go, it would be best for her but she does not yet accept that.

She is scared as her body fails, and she has a perfect right to be. Trying to ease her pain, that is the difficulty...

It is hard, very, very hard....

5 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

It improves their immune systems - adults who lived sterile lives through ill-advised parenting tend to cop it somewhat.

Me   ?

I grew up in the dirt,  so did my mother, it takes robust bugs to bring us down, but, I do think her defenses are near exhausted and I think it getting time for her to go, it would be best for her but she does not yet accept that.

She is scared as her body fails, and she has a perfect right to be. Trying to ease her pain, that is the difficulty...

It is hard, very, very hard....

True but really young children with underdeveloped immune systems can die from a simple virus as well.

Indeed J. and many embryos never make it to term.

Nature is harsh,  empathy is all very well but modern medicine is very much disturbing the balance when it goes too far - meanwhile it honestly does as much if not more harm than it really intends to do.

Cheers

hey chris

best wishes to you and your ailing mum... old and worn out patients are a difficult situation - some of them are keen to say they've had enough, and often that's a very fine choice

sadly, lots want to keep going but the vehicle they are driving is not roadworthy, and inevitably they crash... but can travel a surprisingly long way on a wing and a prayer

• Like 1

Thankyou scruffy.

My mother finally gave up or was forced to surrender her driver's license a couple of years ago, she had been a menace on the roads for at least two years prior driving more by memory and as a result asking her for directions around here became fruitless.

She never was any good at giving directions but she has devolved to navigating by landmarks big enough for her to see and avoiding major roads for the backstreets.

In Southern Adelaide there is a plethora of those as I'm sure you know but I prefer comprehensible routes - or GPS.

Her body is most definitely failing, she came back from a biopsy on whatever the gland pair is at the base of the neck that controls calcium release, high on whatever combination of painkillers and local anesthetic she had been given convinced she could now come home.

She can't walk, needs help getting into bed let alone out of it, is due a plasma treatment tomorrow, the biopsy report has to come back, she needs a melanoma taken off her leg, a minor heart procedure, her sight and hearing are all but gone but she thinks she is fine to come home...

I begin to wonder if she ever will again.

Put it this way, she's got that survivor gene ... you got it too

Hmm,

My survival gene just keeps me from a close encounter with hot lead, or did, her's is about being convinced medicine can "sort it out."

She had a system crash overnight, oxygen dropped to 60% they suspect pneumonia. What do I get on the 'phone from her this morning  ? "this just needs to be sorted out I just want a week with no appointments at home."

Utterly delusional, medicine has been keeping her alive but it is running out of ways to do so.

If they let her out of hospital in the foreseeable future they might as well send her home with a death warrant, but she just does not accept it.

I really do not know what to say to her any more, i'm not sure anyone does.