Caelum

What's on your mind?

Maybe just play along? Sounds like you won't have to keep it up very long : /

It's very hard to know Kimmo, she has in the past bounced back quite well but the number of conditions impacting her just keep growing.

My sister and I just tend to nod and do what is needed. Our biggest problem is usually the doctors, they have a tendency to give her false hope which is a two edged sword, she seizes on things and thinks all is well when really half the time they don't  know.  Mentally if not high on painkillers she is still pretty sharp, makes her a difficult patient to say the least.

Case in point she has so far resisted having a CT scan because she panics in the "tunnel" but on this occasion she doesn't need to go in, the docs want a scan of her abdomen, otherwise they don't know if there is diverticulitis or not. My BinL puts it as how can the doctors know what to treat if you don't let them do their job ?

She can be a very frustrating woman and worse when she is sick and scared.

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

resisted having a CT scan because she panics in the "tunnel" 

Tell her it isn't one - it's a very roomy donut.  The tunnel is the MRI.  Apart from clautrophobic conditions, that thing is *loud*.

• Like 1

It sounds like the moment her false hope breaks, she won't have a reason to keep hanging on and will die.

That is probably true Nich, but she tends to just get angry and lash out at all and sundry myself and my sister included.

I told her Cybes, my sister told her, the doc told her, we showed her a pic of one, debatable if she could see it properly, but she still was reluctant.

I had a CT earlier this year, can't say I like the MRI much but CT is nothing. Regardless they are going to give her a sedative and do the scan later today.

The bad news for her is that the cancer has spread, probably to her respiratory system, which is why a scan is now important or the ENT folks don't have a clue what to do. It will probably be radiotherapy, she is not up to any type of operation.  The doc finally made her see some sort of reason by telling her from the biopsy they know it is a cancer beyond her CLL and it is likely the cause of her calcium build up. The drug treatment they gave her to treat the calcium is just a bandaid, it will reoccur and then it will be life threatening although as he bluntly put it not a painful way to die. On the other hand if they know what they are dealing with they may be able to do something.

Through all of that she kept agitating to go home. Yeah, then I end up looking after her and without any medical equip beyond a thermometer I can't tell if her oxygen level has crashed again or if her calcium is out of wack.

All I could do is call an ambulance and to be honest I might as well have one waiting for her.

She has a plasma treatment scheduled for tomorrow so likely she will be in until Friday and then they'll probably extend over the weekend but it sort of depends on the scan as to what more they can do for her in hospital.

Best case is probably palliative care and she is not very keen on that but sort of accepting it.

Short story, I am limited in the amount of care I can give her, I'm looking for a place of my own in any event and she has reached the point where she cannot be alone, but is still hanging on to that fallacy.

All day by day at the moment.

Well Wednesday is my day of rest so it has to be Odin for me 🙂

I wonder what exactly the soldier does in worship of Thor...  Does he just have to say that he worships Thor or is there a certain amount of "ceremony" that has to accompany his request.

you missed my post on the "what did you watch" thread - i should have put it here first

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

you missed my post on the "what did you watch" thread - i should have put it here first

What scares me about any of these joke churches is that some people join not knowing it's a joke - and in one or two generations it's a *real* church, with even more nonsense than the first lot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-02/wall-street-dow-jones-fall-federal-reserve-no-interest-rate-cut/11065524

US fed doesn't drop rates as Trump and Wall street wants it to. The US economy is addicted to cheap debt and it's the only thing holding it together but it's the cause of the problems as well.

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Cybes said:

What scares me about any of these joke churches is that some people join not knowing it's a joke - and in one or two generations it's a *real* church, with even more nonsense than the first lot.

if it's a non-violent denomination, it's a winner

more nonsense than the first one ?  hahhahahahahahaa.. !

Edited by scruffy1

As good as Firefox has become since the Quantum rewrite, I feel that it's seeming to get a bit slower and less efficient as time goes on.

I've not changed my config re extensions etc since settling in but I've gone from being able to restart and "free memory" every 2-3 days to having to do the same just about every day.

Initial startup with the 11 or so tabs I usually have open sees it using about a Gig of RAM, bloatation over time sees it start to get a bit sluggish around 5.

Have you tried about:memory to see what's sucking up RAM?

That's where the "free memory" comes in.  I do suspect it mostly comes down to my extensions - I have gestures, vertical (tree-style) tabs and a CSS mod to get rid of the horizontal tab bar.

I've not really bothered to analyse the exact cause but 95% certain of what I just said.

It's not really a problem restarting every 1-1.5 days but would be nice if it didn't bloat out so fast.

omm ... now ...

early next week Walt has a cataract sorted. Now he's been remarkably patient whilst the vaseline glass he looks through steadily becomes more opaque . the worst of it over the last few years till present.  One of the comments we've been getting is curiosity as to his reaction to how I will look to him 😱  ... so anyway tonight he asks me if I'm bothered , and then assures me that he will try not to throw up ...ffs  ...  I told him if he threw up he'd be able to see it to fucking clean it up

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

more nonsense than the first one ?  hahhahahahahahaa.. !

Until the document is infinite in length, there is always room for more rubbish.

Sight is a strange and variable gift Ev.

Walt will be fine.

I went through some odd states with my sight.  As a kid I had an astigmatism problem, caused a few blackouts, glasses were prescribed. In my contrary manner I never wore them, I wanted to fly and you did not get accepted with poor eyesight. Years later my body kind of grew into my somewhat distorted eyeballs and suddenly, or so it seemed, I had better than 20/20 uncorrected vision. That lasted over 20 years then I had cataract issues. The very minor surgery gave me back most of what I had, near vision is not perfect but distance is great.

Walt will be loving his restored sight in a few weeks time.

If he doesn't see past the vision that you are that's a perception problem not vision, it will be fine   🙂

Cheers

Advantech crap, shipping with Atom CPUs and normal BIOS which means you run the SATA SSD drive ... at PATA speeds

Dry season in the NT, supposedly. But it's bucketing rain here, the wet season we were supposed to have.