Caelum

What's on your mind?

VK8rfNj.jpg

as much as i am resolutely in the "yeah, lets not insta-kill peoples livelihoods and careers at the drop of a hat for singular social media fuck ups" camp, and as much as i can entertain the possibility that he had a very unlikely and very freakish lapse of reason and therefore was unaware of the racial overtones, in this instance, i just dont see how else the BBC could have reacted.  i mean, jesus Danny, the fuck were you thinking?

• Like 1

Would it be that Danny suffered a Freudian slip moment ? I think he should' ve been suspended from duties for a while without pay, but well firing him ? ... 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, eveln said:

Would it be that Danny suffered a Freudian slip moment ? I think he should' ve been suspended from duties for a while without pay, but well firing him ? ... 

i dont know much about him, but he's done the rounds on all those british panel shows, and everything ive seen of him screams 'one of the good guys'. 

but yes, right now, firing.  if only because of the precedent set by all the ridiculous overreactions that have become par for the course in the current climate.  thats kind of forced their hand.  whether they want to or not, they cant afford to make him an exceptional example for a softer touch with something this sensitive.  its a hinging cultural moment, and working class roots aside, he's a respected voice of the establishment which cant allow itself to be seen shitting on the empire's first mix-raced baby.  assuming he's not a closet racist, rehabilitation later, when people calm the fuck down. 

Edited by @~thehung

Well at least Danny didn't throw an egg, soft or hard boiled.

• Like 1

I did even know what her racial heritage was until seeing this here. It took me a second then a google search to figure out what the issue was. 

Yeah flip, actually neither did I, I'm not a royal watcher, my mother is, but really, who cares ? Harry's wife is a beautiful woman who happens to have an Afro-american mother. The Brits made no big deal of that when Harry married her, she's also a divorcee and an actress... how much the opinion meter in the U.K. has shifted, but apparently not at the Beeb.

I don't think the guy cares that he's been booted, probably improve his visibility but I also don't think he realised he was making any racial comment whatsoever, the twitter-freaks with way too much time on their hands pounced on that.

I recall the pic from years back, chimps are lovely critters, but dressing one up was a bit unnecessary - just the way of the times.

I would be interested to see if the Sussex's make any comment,  probably not, just a roll of the eyes at the stupidity that runs rampant on social media...

Cheers

if he didn't recognise how offensive that would be to a woman of african american heritage, he's a complete idiot

what did you think the joke was meant to be ?

poms are often way more bigoted than yanks wrt colour

6 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

if he didn't recognise how offensive that would be to a woman of african american heritage, he's a complete idiot

what did you think the joke was meant to be ?

poms are often way more bigoted than yanks wrt colour

Did he know that she had African American heritage? 

🙂

I think that is sort of the point, it has never been much of an issue in the U.K. at all. The gutter press like the Sun have talked up a supposed rift between the royal brothers, there being tension between Meghan and her father and sister but they have never made anything of her being of mixed heritage.

In that regard scruffy you are probably somewhat out of date. There most certainly was a time, when I was a kid, when England certainly had a LOT of racist undertones but these days races of all colours make up such a large percentage of the population that the prejudice has simply disappeared from the equation.

I'm not sure it was ever as bad as the U.S. anyway, the English both sort of invented and banned slavery and in creating the Commonwealth made all those colonials British citizens but they never had a KKK or black people lynchings the way the U.S. did.

I certainly agree that this guy is an utter idiot though. After looking a bit into him he makes the average Australian radio shock jock seem quite intelligent....

Cheers

8 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Did he know that she had African American heritage? 

did he know that she is half black?  because she's just your garden variety dark skinned English royal, right?  the whole country is very aware of it.   media coverage has largely been devoid of the veiled racism you might have seen a couple of decades ago, and furthermore has been vocal in hailing the marriage as a celebration of diversity.  (and theyre probably extra incentivised to do so given the xenophobia brexit has stirred up).  he knew it as a citizen, plus he worked for the beeb.  "did he know"... 0_o

i couldnt be bothered searching myriad examples, so here's just two recent stories reported in our country:

2 May Meghan Markle's baby a symbol of hope for diverse Britain and a target for racist trolls

5 may British Royals launch social media protocols after trolling of Meghan Markle and Kate

both preceding Danny's monkey moment

• Like 1

🙂

And yet here on Atomic two of us, one English, me, and flip, are perfectly happy to say that we had never thought of her as being mixed race.

You are probably right that he should have known although working for the BBC does not guarantee that sort of knowledge, hasn't since they had to loosen the place up to get rid of pirate radio and that's a damned long time ago.

There are just as many clueless shock jocks in the BBC are there are in commercial radio in Australia, the ABC here is blessedly somewhat free of those idiots which is why my radios don't know how to be tuned to anything else 🙂 Hell, Jimmy Saville  worked for the Beeb...

This idiot does sort of take the cake though, i really can't imagine he did this on purpose, he's too stupid, and when the English produce stupid they don't skimp  🙂

Cheers

42 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

did he know that she is half black?  because she's just your garden variety dark skinned English royal, right?  the whole country is very aware of it.   media coverage has largely been devoid of the veiled racism you might have seen a couple of decades ago, and furthermore has been vocal in hailing the marriage as a celebration of diversity.  (and theyre probably extra incentivised to do so given the xenophobia brexit has stirred up).  he knew it as a citizen, plus he worked for the beeb.  "did he know"... 0_o

i couldnt be bothered searching myriad examples, so here's just two recent stories reported in our country:

2 May Meghan Markle's baby a symbol of hope for diverse Britain and a target for racist trolls

5 may British Royals launch social media protocols after trolling of Meghan Markle and Kate

both preceding Danny's monkey moment

Fair enough. I usually see anything to do with royal wedding stuff and assume it's going to be another beat up about a made up rift that I don't care about anyway and read something else so I am pretty clueless about the whole thing (hence why I ask I guess).

Posted (edited)

'course he knew Her family heritage. All the tabloids know. They ( the tabloids ) had big mobs of fun showing the various members of her family in a not so great light ... whole heap a shit about how selfish Meghan is in not paying the way for her family to attend  the wedding, for starters . Christ sakes the wedding photos of course included her mum I mean get a grip chrisg ... course he knew of the diversity ... that's why the Freudian slip  occurred. None of us know how Danny really feels about Harry marrying a divorced American now do we ?? 😉 ... and then to produce a baby too ... well that might sent Danny's sensibilities over the top  ! ... yes I'm being sarcastic

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, eveln said:

'course he knew Her family heritage. All the tabloids know. They ( the tabloids ) had big mobs of fun showing the various members of her family in a not so great light ... whole heap a shit about how selfish Meghan is in not paying the way for her family to attend  the wedding, for starters . Christ sakes the wedding photos of course included her mum I mean get a grip chrisg ... course he knew of the diversity ... that's why the Freudian slip  occurred. None of us know how Danny really feels about Harry marrying a divorced American now do we ?? 😉 ... and then to produce a baby too ... well that might sent Danny's sensibilities over the top  ! ... yes I'm being sarcastic

🙂

Quite possibly, but whilst I take precious little notice of royal goings on at all I simply did not make the connection with that old picture. My mother who is an out and out royalist, but not in exactly the best of health at the moment, did not take much notice of it either until she had it explained.

Perhaps it is just that I don't read tabloids  🙂

To repeat though, I don't know if the royal couple will bother to comment, it would be interesting if they did.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

My local city council has decided to go all Chinese surveillance state on us. I feel safer now!

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/04/chinas-people-monitoring-software-being-deployed-in-darwin/

of course they have, given it's a chinese port for the remainder of the 99 years they've rented it

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Quite possibly, but whilst I take precious little notice of royal goings on at all I simply did not make the connection with that old picture. My mother who is an out and out royalist, but not in exactly the best of health at the moment, did not take much notice of it either until she had it explained.

To repeat though, I don't know if the royal couple will bother to comment, it would be interesting if they did.

Cheers

i don't read tabloids either, but i'm not completely without a knowledge of "society" stuff, largely due to how incredulous it usually makes me feel 

now if it had anything to do with sport, i don't have a fucking clue

apart from realising that one of the local polynesians has been banned from participating in "the game they play in heaven" due to tweeting the bible's game rules

🙂

Yeah, I join you in having zero interest in most all sport, some motorsport excepted.

The royals I just do not take much notice of at all. It might have something to do with my serving with Charles at one time for a few weeks and  to say he was underwhelming would be an understatement, or it might just be a reaction to my mother's great love of them.

Ironically I have been rather enjoying watching "The Crown" with her but I think that has more to do with good acting than anything else.

It's not that I dislike the monarchy, I'm perfectly comfortable with the system but the constant hounding of them and dreaming up of dramas by the press just bores me to tears. Possibly also that goes to never forgiving the press for their involvement in the death of Diana, a very beautiful woman who should never have married Charles in the first place. I do however have a lot of time for her sons.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

China owns Darwin now, so that makes sense. 😛

Guess they're not too happy about umpteen thousand U.S. Marines taking up residence there for training for the next few months then  🙂

Cheers

6 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Cheers

You know how the tabloids went on about Diana's death ? Well they used almost the same energy about Harry's ( the guy you have time for ) chosen mate.  My abc feed was filled with it. To not know Meghan's heritage would make Danny just about the most incompetent  journo of all fucking time ... and according to some it would generally seem that he was not incompetent

and as I know you to be one that posts news from news.com.au I know they more than generously covered the whole Royal happenings too

• Like 1

They probably do Ev, but those are articles I'd never bother to read.

Royal wedding and baby news is somewhat of an opiate for the masses, particularly the English masses, not my thing at all.

Cheers

Yup. I basically see "Markle" or "royal" in a headline and just skip to the next article. It's much like how I had no idea about Winx and had to get someone to explain why I'd heard the names Jenner and Kardashian. 

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

They probably do Ev, but those are articles I'd never bother to read.

Royal wedding and baby news is somewhat of an opiate for the masses, particularly the English masses, not my thing at all.

Cheers

ahhh so really what you're saying is the time you have for Diana's boys is really not that much at all ....

... of course it's an opiate for the masses the Royals do or are making a damn good attempt at re-marketing themselves as the diplomatic relations core for the Commonwealth and well also for any other areas they might sway ... not a bad thing to be doing.

I mean, the globalists say they want to bring the world together more and yet frown mightily at the mention of anyone trying to get on with Kim And Putin for starters. Whatever ... those people need to be got on with too ... Perhaps that's why the Queen gives Pres. Trump the time of day she does.

I get it's a human trait that we need to have an enemy to help bring the majority together, but that thought process is as old as accepting that it's okay to chuck food at people if they say something you don't like . Both are medieval constructs that could do with a contemporary overhaul if you were to ask me ; )

See chrisg, any one can waffle shit ... :P~

3 hours ago, fliptopia said:

explain why I'd heard the names Jenner and Kardashian. 

I only recently found out that Caitlin Jenner was in her previous life an Olympian of some sort ... never understood how those names could ever be a thing we were all just supposed to bow to ... lol ... still don't.

Heh,

Should you believe that I waffle shit then don't read it, simple.

There's a difference between having respect for the persons, Princes Harry and William and being seduced into reading a load of dreamed up waffle concocted by so called royal watchers who live parasitic lives titillating the masses.

Harry's involvement with Invictus for example or the recent visit to N.Z. that is real and relevant news.

The Queen probably would just as soon not touch Trump with a barge pole but, noblesse oblige, she has her duties.

I can tell you the people of the U.K. would just as soon Trump not set foot in the country, the need for all the extra security etc is making a complete mess of the D-Day remembrance services. You are probably aware that it has also been suggested in the Houses of Parliament that the visit be cancelled - the English do not like him much.

I don't profess to be a globalist at all but the idea is interesting. However it is not going to be achieved by compromise that involves buddying up to human refuse like Putin and Kim.

Cheers