Caelum

What's on your mind?

what a week it was ... time for a new one, but ready for it

Hate computers!

Fresh dual OS install on a MBP 2011, High Sierra on an APFS partition then Windows 10.

Unknown to me there's an issue with sound not working on EFI installs of Win10 on plenty of Macs thanks to improper system config data which MacOS ignores but Windows doesn't.

Various fixes which can take time and can be risky to the point of bricking the machine.

But the easy way out is to just do an MBR/Bios mode install of Win10.  But there's no choice there, it's one or the other depending on whether the disk is a hybrid GPT/MBR which they used to use but apparently APFS disks don't operate that way.

So my solution looks to be to throw out the couple of hours I've so far spent configuring everything and just start again using Sierra and HFS+ to ensure my Windows install is the legacy type.

• Sad 1

Hmm.

It happens I guess, not often but when it does the news goes nuts.

If you are going to have an undercarriage issue that's the better one to have, no-one wants to land with half the main gear not extended, better to go wheels up if possible.

WOMM - this is the week my mother moves to a home.

Having been looking after her for several months I'm now going to have to decide whether to stay on at her place, if it is offered, or go find something new.

First things first, get her settled and comfortable.

There is another option which is to return to W.A. but overall I think not, very torn between two States at the moment.

Cheers

I hope it's one of the better homes, geez some of those nursing homes run by big corporations are just money sponges to steal from people in their twilight years.

• Like 1

Yeah,

We were very careful on that.

My mother's priest's sister works for this mob, they are one of the good guys it seems.

The problem is that she has gone beyond what being in hospital can really do apart from outpatient support, like any hospital they need beds - constantly, but by the same token she can and has crashed to the degree that being in her own home is no longer an option.

The halfway house is a full care facility with medical staff on call but still a degree of independence.

It may well not be for long, she is much sicker than she admits to herself but it is the best option at the moment.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yeah,

Fortunately she had the vaccination three weeks ago.

In her current state of health her immune system is hugely depressed so whilst they haven't this time they have in the past used barrier nursing with her at the hospital.

Most all of the family have now been vaccinated but there are a number of very small ones, great grandchildren who are too young so being very careful to keep them away just in case.

Cheers

Speaking of flus, family in Canberra has copped that flu including my niece and nephew.

I seem to recall my grandmother getting influenza from the vaccination.

I weighed myself yesterday. I am ~120 kg (~265 pounds) and ~192.5 cm tall (~6'4"). I might need to go on a diet.

the vaccination does NOT cause influenza; it consists of fragments of flu antigenic proteins, not the "viable" components of a virus (inasmuch as viruses don't reproduce; they hijack your cells to do it, and that's why your immune system attacks you causing the problems)

fwiw, the effectiveness of the vaccine is nowhere near 100% - in fact it's around the mid 40's % per cdc figures on the last winter in the usa

34 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

I weighed myself yesterday. I am ~120 kg (~265 pounds) and ~192.5 cm tall (~6'4"). I might need to go on a diet.

Probably means she had it before the flu shot.

It actually did happen to me maybe 20 years ago, a mild year, put me off bothering with the flu shot until this year.

A year after 3 weeks in hospital with pneumonia and still a bit breathless I wasn't taking any chances. But yeah J, almost certainly just had the shot a bit late.

Last week I had a close enough brush with bronchitis that I took the final plunge and quit smoking.

(Well, TBH, it was doing nothing for me any more and costing way, way too much 🙂  )

Cheers

I ran for 20 mins straight today around my suburb which is not flat by any means (gotta love the down hill bits though). about 3.5kms. I did 2 lots of 10 mins before but this was the longest that I've gone without stopping.

3 hours ago, NZT48 said:

If I could make a suggestion it would be to cut out one thing at a time and look toward changing your diet rather than going on a diet. By all means go a little more aggressively while you're trying to lose the weight but look at what you can give up and what you need to cut out because you can't stop when you start. Anyway, that's just the approach I took. I expect it doesn't work for everyone.

On 11/05/2019 at 6:21 AM, chrisg said:

I think that is sort of the point, it has never been much of an issue in the U.K. at all. The gutter press like the Sun have talked up a supposed rift between the royal brothers, there being tension between Meghan and her father and sister but they have never made anything of her being of mixed heritage.

Pretty good for someone who doesn't read about the royals online, doesn't read tabloids, and doesn't do modern social media.

• Like 1

🙂

Purely because of the headlines Nich, don't recall the last time I opened a single one of them.

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisg said:

quit smoking

High five. Seven months here

🙂

My third time at bat Kimmo, but then again both prior efforts lasted around a decade apiece 🙂

Cheers

With a polluted barge pole !

Indeed.

Hopefully next cab off the rank is J&J my wife is dying because of those bastards.

Cheers

Mark 10:1-12 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)

He left that place and went to the region of Judea and beyond the Jordan. And crowds again gathered around him; and, as was his custom, he again taught them.

Some Pharisees came, and to test him they asked, ‘Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?’ He answered them, ‘What did Moses command you?’ They said, ‘Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her.’ But Jesus said to them, ‘Because of your hardness of heart he wrote this commandment for you. But from the beginning of creation, “God made them male and female.” “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.’

Then in the house the disciples asked him again about this matter. He said to them, ‘Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.’