Caelum

What's on your mind?

She's done on June 7 a Friday and in the following week they start to look for a new PM and all the while Brexit is still fucking not there yet ... after three bloody years ffs.

Talk about the ultimate stalling machine is Theresa May ... may not ever

Brexit is such a hugely divisive issue the irony to me is for many years whilst I was growing up Britain was clamoring to be allowed into the Common  Market and De Gaulle just kept on saying "non." Now they want out.

Except probably they don't really. In a country that doesn't have compulsory voting a radical element stirred up some of the downsides to being part of the EU, mostly immigration in the end although that would not readily be admitted to and passed the motion.

Give them another chance and I'd suggest they would vote to stay but even so that only makes it one for one so what do they have to do, have two resolutions ?

An absolute out and utter mess, Britain would or will be massively weakened by leaving the EU but it may now be too late to change.

Europe is a very, very complex place, possibly the EU should not have made it quite so easy for former Soviet Block countries to join but if they had not a resurgent Russia would likely have already swept them back up. That's harder if they are in the EU, which several of them now are, and harder still if they are in NATO which almost comes along with market membership but it just increases the tension with Russia. That's just one aspect but a very concerning one. No one is suggesting Britain leave NATO, they are one of the founding members but it's a chink that Russia will be sure to exploit if they do exit.

Partly it is also a matter of British pride.

The Brits believe they should be a major partner in the EU or not at all even though they were late to join but it has never been the case. Britain needs to accept that the days of Empire are gone and that the Commonwealth is mostly a convenience. They are basically a small nation that has been sapped by two disastrous wars, has been weakened by sometimes being too close to the Americans and has a very, very fragile economy.

They probably wont though, just try to go on living in the past.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

Dem sneaky globalists

Too right mate !

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

that the days of Empire are gone

Cheers

Not if you're the EU. I'd say that semi-global phenomenon sees it self as the only Empire worth noting. It's why they'd rather that resilient " small nation " had not voted let alone chosen, to step out .

Yes, a degree of truth in that Ev and to be fair with some justification.

Europe is, rather patchily in some quarters such as Greece and Portugal in the ascendant once again. In many parts of the sub-continent there is a sense of success and high achievement, Germany in particular but also France, Belgium , Holland,. Those countries have been on a mostly consistent rise ever since the end of WWII. Not so much Italy, it just goes on being Italy but there is a sense of having moved forward and evolving, peacefully for a change, into Empire.

The more interesting question would be whether mainland Europe cares whether or not the U.K. comes along for the ride.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile in PNG, the Prime Minister has resigned after one of parties in his coalition defect to the opposition. His dodgy dealings over the last 5 years have caught up to him. Can't his term was boring and uneventful.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/png-turmoil-as-prime-minister-peter-o-neill-resigns-20190526-p51ra9.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558845276

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

Life is short.

Everything OK? Or just an observation. 

• Like 1

I'm okay. Thanks for asking.

God's grace is amazing.

5 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Headline of the day

Spies with that: police can snoop on McDonald's and Westfield wifi customers

Probably applies to any "public" wifi networks as well.

6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Probably applies to any "public" wifi networks as well.

Surely you aren't surprised by that - it's right there in the name: public wifi.  You should not have any expectation of privacy in any public space - even virtual ones.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Surely you aren't surprised by that - it's right there in the name: public wifi.  You should not have any expectation of privacy in any public space - even virtual ones.

Which means you should run your traffic via a VPN when using that type of public wifi

Posted (edited)

Err... that's not necessarily gonna help much at all.  The main problem is local eavesdropping on unencrypted traffic.

I did a job today for someone who had his bank account hijacked while using public overseas wifi, they took $30K but luckily he got it back.

Edited by Rybags

Posted (edited)

We're getting like 3000 tonnes of our recycling plastic back from Malaysia ... we've been sending it to illegal recyclers and we knew that. (Not all from Australia but ... we're part of the problem)

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/malaysia-readies-to-return-australia-s-plastic-rubbish-20190528-p51s3m.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1559034822

Edited by Jeruselem

19 hours ago, Rybags said:

Err... that's not necessarily gonna help much at all.  The main problem is local eavesdropping on unencrypted traffic.

what you talking bout Willis?  half the point of using a VPN over public WiFi is to prevent unencrypted local traffic.  but of course, if youve got a government installed not-a-back-door™ backdoor on your phone, that may be a different story.

that article is a total mess, which is totally typical when it comes to tech.   its conflating a bunch of things.  backdoors aside, one wouldve assumed all public hotspots were leaky sieves of metadata at least long before the last Assistance and Access amendment.

22 hours ago, Rybags said:

I did a job today for someone who had his bank account hijacked while using public overseas wifi, they took $30K but luckily he got it back.

how long did it take for him to get his funds back ?

I still walk into a bank to deposit funds . I insist the teller does their job that my fees help to pay for .

Unsure - he couldn't get into his account for the duration of the trip, seems the crims changed his password but no idea what they could have done re card access.

I dunno J,  J&J are being assaulted on all sides, their survival is in the hands of the snake oil legal merchants.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Johnson & Johnson being sued for getting people addicted to their opioids, bet Chris will be happy about this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-29/johnson-and-johnson-billion-dollar-us-opioid-crisis-lawsuit/11158986

🙂

"But we were just dicking around playing war games sir."

I'd be fascinated to see the maneuvers that just happened to produce that...

Cheers