Caelum

What's on your mind?

Posted (edited)

By christ what a week . Sooo glad it's Friday. Sooo glad for " scotch on Friday" nights ! Sooooooo fucking glad of that ... going to tank tonight feel like attempting to kill tanks, lots of them

also ... not sure I'd ever set myself alight to make a statement about anything. I once burnt my thumb  ... it was pretty bad and the hurt was ooohhh so bad. I don't have the 'stomach' to set myself alight

Edited by eveln

Yup. Glad to be through that week. Going to sleep well as long as the kids don't wake me. 

It was indeed a week and a half - I'll settle for a glass of wine and bed - the way I feel I might skip Saturday....

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Adani, they claim it would create 10000 jobs ... government minister reveals the real number of jobs by accident .. 1500. Always thought that 10K was a bit fantasy

https://theaimn.com/bridget-mckenzie-revealed-the-adani-jobs-lie-and-no-one-noticed/

Nationals deputy leader Bridget McKenzie made an amazing admission in an interview on Sky but nobody (except The Australia Institute) seemed to notice.

“[Adani will] be employing 1500 through the construction phase and around about 100 ongoing.”

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

That info was debunked a couple of years ago when the QLD Gov. was first all gungho about Adani  edit: ( I mean the real figures being ohhh so much less ) ... it's just that it came out with all the stuff about Adani's finances being questionable too. I think there was too much to focus on tbh.

Ms McKenzie will be hauled over the coals till her feet are singed to the bone 😛

And now The present QLD Labor Gov. seems to think allowing Adani will make their Labor issues go away ... not so imo.

Edited by eveln
clarity

19 minutes ago, eveln said:

That info was debunked a couple of years ago when the QLD Gov. was first all gungho about Adani  edit: ( I mean the real figures being ohhh so much less ) ... it's just that it came out with all the stuff about Adani's finances being questionable too. I think there was too much to focus on tbh.

Ms McKenzie will be hauled over the coals till her feet a singed to the bone 😛

And now The prsent QLD Labor Gov. seems to think allowing Adani will make their Labor issues go away ... not so imo.

That 10K never made any sense, 100 permanent jobs per year from Adani ... that's just nothing in scheme of things in terms of employment.

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

That 10K never made any sense, 100 permanent jobs per year from Adani ... that's just nothing in scheme of things in terms of employment.

Yep.

was just reading some of the comments from your Mckenzie link up there . This one's a beauty ...

"June 1, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Matt Canavan: “The Galilee Basin alone could generate 16,000 jobs….. To reduce emissions around the world, our coal industry has an important part to play in producing and supplying high quality, high energy content coal to the rest of the world to displace those mines in other countries with much lower energy content and much higher carbon emissions.”

Associate Professor Gavin Mudd, from RMIT University, has mapped the quality of coal deposits across Australia.

“If you look at the Galilee Basin coal, there’s a reason why it hasn’t been developed — it’s poorer quality coal, compared to other places of Australia,” Dr Mudd said.

“It’s certainly not as bad as brown coal from an energy point of view, but from an ash point of view it’s almost 10 times more ash content.”

The average energy content of coal at Adani’s planned mine is about 18 per cent below benchmark Australian coal.

Adani conceded in court the ash content was about 26 per cent, roughly double the Australian benchmark.

A report to the court made on its behalf said the Carmichael mine would produce “two coal products”.

“Product one, a low ash/moderate energy product most suitable for Asian premium markets,” the report said. (This will require washing the coal so more water use)

“And product two, a high ash/lower energy product most suitable for non-premium markets, particularly India.”

So the coal bound for India could be a fairly low-grade product. "

Seriously ?! when regional Australia is still  going through critical droughts, using precious water to wash coal seems like a worthy idea ... ffs ! !

I wish our politicians would think about looking after this country and it's people and their well being properly first.

2 hours ago, eveln said:

Seriously ?! when regional Australia is still  going through critical droughts, using precious water to wash coal seems like a worthy idea ... ffs ! !

I wish our politicians would think about looking after this country and it's people and their well being properly first.

So what's the best use of water? 

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Nothing wrong having lots of unadulterated water supplies sitting around for the future generations since we're just great at wrecking our current resources.

5 hours ago, Nich... said:

I'd like to wash under me armpits occasionally ... maybe clean my windscreen so's I don't crash ... oh and keep the pool at the right height so's the pool filter doesn't crap itself and cost more

OMM ? ... not too much. Had the day off from work, was chauffeur for Walt today. He can see beautifully with one eye  ... adjusting this with the other that is now so much worse, is a curse for him. 

There's a lady that works in the newsagent close to where the Doc. is, she has lived a life with one eye, the other is blind and has been since birth. I try to keep her in mind when Walt struggles

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

A slice of America comes to Darwin, gunman on the loose. 4 dead, 2 injured. Shooter was a lone white mate ... in a high vis

Correction 5 dead ...

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/national/northern-territory-police-searching-for-alleged-gunman-in-darwin/news-story/fcb40bb74d83488bc00507b3837882a7

just noticed that in a news feed

that's fucking crazy !

Indeed.

Without trivialising it though, and it is probably slip-shod reporting, having the minister try to qualm any probably non-existent fears of terrorism with a double negative just leaves the situation open to precisely the discussion he appeared to be seeking to avoid.

The world is going nuts right under our noses....

Winter's here ! My inside temp at 6.30 is 19c ...bloody snow down closer to the border tho yesterday ...ffs.

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I guess that happens when you build them near rivers

You forgot,first you need to ignore the writing on the wall for half a century.

9 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

You forgot,first you need to ignore the writing on the wall for half a century.

Well the Chinese are building islands in the middle of the sea, barely above sea level so they aren't much smarter.

Those are airbases, which a lot more tactical than the average land use... I doubt the Chinese suffer many of our stupid illusions about climate change, since they have no direct need for that sort of misinformation campaign... I found it pretty ominous they built those; seems they expect some use out of them in the next decade or two.

10 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Those are airbases, which a lot more tactical than the average land use... I doubt the Chinese suffer many of our stupid illusions about climate change, since they have no direct need for that sort of misinformation campaign... I found it pretty ominous they built those; seems they expect some use out of them in the next decade or two.

The bases in the middle of sea will be very high maintenance, sea salt is very destructive. And then you have occasional large storms which doesn't care what they destroy,

Yeah that too, but they built them anyway. Fun with belt and road, here we come

• Like 1

I just had to replace a 5 year old aircon in my unit as part of it had corroded away and leaked badly (it's exposed to direct sea salt).