Caelum

What's on your mind?

Posted (edited)

Apple launch a new Mac Pro and a new 6K monitor! Yes, 6K. The monitor is 5000 USD ... oh yes, it doesn't come with a stand. That's another 1K ... 1K for a monitor stand.

What do you expect from Apple !!! Innovating new ways to sell you things that used to come standard with items you bought. This is USD prices ...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/04/apple-pro-display-xdr-stand/

Edited by Jeruselem

The sort of primadonnas that use them are usually beneficiary to someone else paying for it anyway.

The VESA mounting kit is 199 USD ... which is about the prices of an actual 1080p monitor with a stand provided.

It would be funny if those 1K monitor stands break easily and the people buying them realize they were conned badly.

It's probably CNC manufactured from a 5 kg billet of aluminium stock which when finished weighs 450 grams.

If you're buying a big 6k monitor, you're not going to go 'oh well even a cheap mount is the price of a cheap 1080p monitor, i'll just  use that instead'.

12 minutes ago, Nich... said:

If you're buying a big 6k monitor, you're not going to go 'oh well even a cheap mount is the price of a cheap 1080p monitor, i'll just  use that instead'.

True but then the monitor is attached to a Mac Pro which looks a cheese grater ...

23 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

A slice of America comes to Darwin, gunman on the loose. 4 dead, 2 injured. Shooter was a lone white mate ... in a high vis

Correction 5 dead ...

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/national/northern-territory-police-searching-for-alleged-gunman-in-darwin/news-story/fcb40bb74d83488bc00507b3837882a7

Most states in Aus. have had and still have, more than their fair share of histrionic crazies and gang related killings. I don't really see the need to blame the USA for that one.

I can not recall the last time I saw a real live lady bird  ...have likely seen more fake ones like on the ends of kids hair clips than I have the real 'McCoy '

Southern California seems to have a bloom of them big enough to have been picked up on it's weather map ...

Posted (edited)

Bad times for people who live in Walgett, local supermarket burnt down and they have no local water supply (their local dam is near empty). They can travel to the next town for food but damn that's bad situation.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/this-nsw-town-has-now-lost-water-and-its-main-food-supply

Edited by Jeruselem

Having travelled through it about 8 times and stopped there once or twice...

it's now even more of a shithole.  Practically every occupied shop had bars on the windows which isn't a good sign for a country town - was the first striking thing I noticed when passing through 10 years back.

On the bonus side they did have free Wifi advertised at a time when most places had no Wifi.

But as for shops up that way - Lightning Ridge has a scabby IGA, Dubbo is the last stop for anything of substance, a decent mall with Woolworths and other big chains (and that's a good several hours round trip)

Probably good mining territory

Opals @ Lightning Ridge of a world quality - and I do suspect plenty of rich people who on the surface look ordinary.

Not much else - pretty flat, pastoral type and boom/bust with the rain so not really prime agricultural country.

Posted (edited)

by christ but people are shite

------------------------------------------------------------------

On 07/06/2019 at 11:05 PM, Rybags said:

Opals @ Lightning Ridge of a world quality -

yeah, I know quite a bit 'bout that

Edited by eveln
In the light of day, I felt the need to clarify that my two comments above are disconnected. My first relates to a moment endured in RL

A dull day in the green room ... must be the cold

6 minutes ago, eveln said:

"Crazy cat people" is a real phenomenon, don't you know !

...I don't have one.

* tiptoes out *

It does explain those people ...

Tell you what, moving house after 234 months is a right pain in the arse, and everywhere else too. Fourth day and still going... 

13 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Tell you what, moving house after 234 months is a right pain in the arse, and everywhere else too. Fourth day and still going... 

One my neighbours moved from NT to NSW. And that was while negotiating the contract with the new buyer.

Posted (edited)

Curious to know Kimmo , which figure did you know first ? 😉

Also, moving is just a permanent suck job whenever, where ever.

Edited by eveln

2 minutes ago, eveln said:

Curious to know Kimmo , which figure did you know first ? 😉

Also, moving is just a permanent suck job whenever, where ever.

I've moved actually 2 times. Malaysia to 1st house in Darwin and then 2nd house.

🙂

I've utterly and completely lost track of the number of times I've moved even with a near on 16 years in one place in W.A.

In some ways I regret that I lived in one place for so long, I've been shedding stuff I simply do not need for a few years now and there is still too much stuck in W.A. and me in S.A.

Ah well, once I can consolidate it all in one state and begin to dispose of excess sanity MAY return  🙂

Cheers

The Queen's birthday honours list ... the gift that keeps on kissing, I mean giving  :P

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-11/robot-sex-advocate-awarded-queens-birthday-honour/11199676

Professor Adrian Cheok ,  an all-round-unusual dude.

"... He has also more recently created a device that allows kissing over the internet called "Kissenger". ..."

I wonder if the Queen actually knows she gave this guy an 'honour'

I moved 8 times in 11 years early on - currently been where I am for over 18.  Wanting to GTFO though.