Caelum

What's on your mind?

30 years ago we had Raytheon terminals at work - and they're possibly more famous for stuff like missiles.

The thing with the old Raytheon PTS2000 terminals (pretty sure that was the model name) is that even though at the time they weren't exactly old, the usual failure mode of the things was to electrically explode and catch fire in a pretty spectacular way.

• Haha 1

Yes, I do recall Ry.

Interestingly a friend of mine at the time did not know about the Sidewinder and was working as a very successful salesperson for the company. As soon as she did discover them she promptly left the company.

Cheers

With 90% of their revenue from military contracts you'd sort of expect them to be a weapons producer wouldn't you, especially if you were in sales?

I could understand non core roles being insulated from the main business aspects but not that one.

Yeah, she just had no interest in anything military

Sidewinder is still the missile of choice for close in combat - pretty incredible since it's been around since '56.

Mind you the first few shots were not very stellar, the IR seekers sent them heading for the sun 🙂

Cheers

Plenty of incarnations in that timeframe though, so there'd be a huge difference even between 70s Limas and later Block Xs.

Sort of like the Abrams - people slag it off because it's an old design but there's not much refinement needed there, the business end in both cases is the systems and smarts inside it.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Mind you the first few shots were not very stellar, the IR seekers sent them heading for the sun 🙂

actually, that would make them very stellar if you use the literal derivation of stellar

• Like 1

🙂

I think the initial range was somewhere around 10 miles although they quickly stretched it out to over 20.

One time at China Lake they were prepping one on an F-8 I think and somehow it launched. It wound up going through the mess and embedding itself in the kitchen whilst people were scattering left and right. Fortunately it was within minimum rage so the fuse hadn't spooled up to go live.

Without a doubt the most successful missile yet produced. widely imitated.

Cheers

Hmm,

We had a weird one here in Adelaide yesterday.

Sturt police station suddenly started groaning, cracks appeared and it is presently evacuated until further notice.

Sort of understandable if there had been an earth tremor, almost unheard of in S.a anyway, but nope.

Cheers

17 hours ago, Rybags said:

Plenty of incarnations in that timeframe though, so there'd be a huge difference even between 70s Limas and later Block Xs.

Sort of like the Abrams - people slag it off because it's an old design but there's not much refinement needed there, the business end in both cases is the systems and smarts inside it.

Yeah, near on endless development, originally a tail chaser but by the Lima it was very much all aspect. The X is pretty damned incredible, total fire-and-forget killer.

I'd not realised until checking that there was one semi-active homing version but quickly dropped and standardised on IR. Considering that for a long time the semi-active Sparrow was regarded as a total waste of money probably wise. Skyflash, a Sparrow derivative changed that.

Totally agree on the Abrams, current models bear little resemblance to earlier versions. I sort of suspect the Challenger 2 is superior though 🙂

Cheers

43 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Hmm,

We had a weird one here in Adelaide yesterday.

Sturt police station suddenly started groaning, cracks appeared and it is presently evacuated until further notice.

Sort of understandable if there had been an earth tremor, almost unheard of in S.a anyway, but nope.

Cheers

I had giggle when I heard a newly built police building was falling apart.

That and crumbling buildings is just a couple of symptoms of us heading for 3rd world shitholiness.

14 minutes ago, Rybags said:

That and crumbling buildings is just a couple of symptoms of us heading for 3rd world shitholiness.

That started when "self-regulation"  was answer to everything ...

speculative developers and self assessment of building standards

who could have predicted some cognitive dissonance ?

Seven years down. That's me and Walt no smokie,  of  anything !!

The smell still shits me, especially coming in on the body of someone who's just had one.  Anyways, same time same channel next year ...

5 years on and I still can't bring myself to visit HK again.  One day, I guess.

17 minutes ago, eveln said:

The smell still shits me, especially coming in on the body of someone who's just had one.

ew, thats probably because the deceased also lost control of their bowels :S

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

If ATM machines, credit cards and EFTPOS no workee, it's f***king Telstra AGAIN. I expect this from Telstra ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-11/telstra-outage-takes-down-atms-eftpos/11300926

Still trying to figure this one out unless the reporting is suspect.

Apparently in a lot (all ?) of cases where supermarkets, mostly Woolies apparently, had trouble PayWave stopped working but a card inserted and a signature worked, in a lot of cases at least.

That's odd, PayWave uses a one-time code verification so it's actually reasonably secure but the verification is handled at the bank, not by T$. Likewise for card being physically inserted.

I'm wondering if someone is not telling us the whole truth and actually the machines are behaving more like the mechanical swipes of old where below a certain value you just approved it and above that value you had to call for a verification number.

Dark ages but the traders expect a certain amount of loss on card transactions so just maybe the machine isn't contacting the bank at all., up to a certain value anyway.

That could make a bit of sense because Paywave is a different handshake.

Cheers

7 years for me is 5 days away and yep the smell shits me as well.  It varies but even driving behind someone smoking can be intolerant at times (maybe should have used that as an excuse to get out of a mobile camera fine).

It's actually more like 3 days & 2 hours away but I go by the time that most of the shit would have been out of my system.

33 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Still trying to figure this one out unless the reporting is suspect.

Apparently in a lot (all ?) of cases where supermarkets, mostly Woolies apparently, had trouble PayWave stopped working but a card inserted and a signature worked, in a lot of cases at least.

That's odd, PayWave uses a one-time code verification so it's actually reasonably secure but the verification is handled at the bank, not by T$. Likewise for card being physically inserted.

I'm wondering if someone is not telling us the whole truth and actually the machines are behaving more like the mechanical swipes of old where below a certain value you just approved it and above that value you had to call for a verification number.

Dark ages but the traders expect a certain amount of loss on card transactions so just maybe the machine isn't contacting the bank at all., up to a certain value anyway.

That could make a bit of sense because Paywave is a different handshake.

Cheers

I'm sure ATMs, EFTPOS machines and credit card machines are just computers attached to 3G modem - a 3G modem on the Telstra machine to machine network which is isolated from the general Telstra Internets and Extranet networks. But the 3G fouls up, everything seems to get affected with Telstra.

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

I'm sure ATMs, EFTPOS machines and credit card machines are just computers attached to 3G modem - a 3G modem on the Telstra machine to machine network which is isolated from the general Telstra Internets and Extranet networks. But the 3G fouls up, everything seems to get affected with Telstra.

🙂

Sure, but as I say unless the reporting was inaccurate, and I heard it several times, PayWave stopped working but the card could still be inserted and signed for, or presumably a PIN given.

So was the network down or was it just crippled or was the machine just falling back ?

I don't know but PayWave is a bit different to the machine reading the card, has to be to accommodate the one-time code.

Perhaps more pragmatically it is a telling reminder of just how used we have become to the cashless society.

Cheers

Paywave secure?  I don't know about that.

That's why you have these $30 "RFID protection" sleeves being sold because anyone with an NFC equipped phone or tablet can just read your chip and clone it.

(and the $30 bit of junk is just a cheap Faraday Cage which can be accomplished DIY with a piece of alfoil either side of your card)

33 minutes ago, Rybags said:

It's actually more like 3 days & 2 hours away but I go by the time that most of the shit would have been out of my system.

I don't know to the exact day, only that it was in the first few weeks of July we were travelling free of the champix regime.

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

5 years on and I still can't bring myself to visit HK again. 

Why is that ?