Caelum

What's on your mind?

38 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Sure, but as I say unless the reporting was inaccurate, and I heard it several times, PayWave stopped working but the card could still be inserted and signed for, or presumably a PIN given.

So was the network down or was it just crippled or was the machine just falling back ?

I don't know but PayWave is a bit different to the machine reading the card, has to be to accommodate the one-time code.

Perhaps more pragmatically it is a telling reminder of just how used we have become to the cashless society.

Cheers

A friend of mine who handles lots of cash is finding $100 notes harder to get off customers, either the RBA is pulling $100 notes from circulation or people are hoarding $100 notes.

In some cases the cellular data SIM is just used as a backup similar to what some ISPs provide.

But I guess I can see how some might use it as the main/only comms link - I guess it's thought to be secure enough.

🙂

I'm again not sure but at a guess there is a declining demand so the RBA are not issuing as many.

Cheers

Hundreds?  You barely get them.

ATMs don't dispense them AFAIK.  And the only people who regularly walk into a physical bank are either pensioners who would rarely deal in large amounts and shop owners who would mainly be there to deposit cash.

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

In some cases the cellular data SIM is just used as a backup similar to what some ISPs provide.

But I guess I can see how some might use it as the main/only comms link - I guess it's thought to be secure enough.

🙂

There do seem to be a lot of different models around.

I'd not thought of the SIM, only seen it once, a Telstra  modem that actually I still have here, they don't seem to want it back 🙂

Cheers

I've wondered though... if the connection drops and it uses cellular data, do you get charged extra?

Re EFT at shops, I was surprised when I first saw one with a SIM but I've been to shops where the EFT becomes unavailable if someone's using the phone, and ones where it has a dedicated line but seems to take an eternity to dial each time.  So I guess a 3G or 4G connection is probably a better alternative.

The cricket - what a disaster.  Lucky to get 223, and all out with an over wasted.  And that's in contrast to us beating the Poms by a decent margin just a couple of weeks ago.  Entirely possible we might defend it (their last score in that match was only 221 all out in 44.4 chasing 286) but it's a pretty paltry target to defend.

🙂

3G yes, perfectly adequate. I'd be avoiding 4G, there are a lot of dark mutterings going on about the insecurities present in  VoLTE, partly because there is a certain lack of standardisation, partly because SIP is connectionless which makes it much easier to slip worms into a system. It seems phone-phreaking could make a comeback, and 5G seems no better.

It's  long obsolete now but for a time early Eftpos just rode on the old X.25 network quite happily, it doesn't need much bandwidth.

Eftpos is always best kept skinny, after all in the end its just a simple look up and approval - keep it difficult for the script kiddies to go hiding stuff in unnecessarily bloated code  🙂

Cheers

How's that telecommunications infrastructure privatisation working out, Liberal voters? 

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Zetland unit owners are up the creek without a paddle thanks to

Governments grabbing their ankles on our behalf for property developers. 

All* aboard the gravy train. 

*All the people who count - almost everyone doesn't

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

Governments grabbing their ankles on our behalf for property developers. 

All* aboard the gravy train. 

*All the people who count - almost everyone doesn't

Stamp duty on real estate was the rivers of Gold for governments now, with less being sold ... they'll need to rely on land taxes.

16 hours ago, Rybags said:

Paywave secure?  I don't know about that.

That's why you have these $30 "RFID protection" sleeves being sold because anyone with an NFC equipped phone or tablet can just read your chip and clone it.

(and the $30 bit of junk is just a cheap Faraday Cage which can be accomplished DIY with a piece of alfoil either side of your card)

whilst i do have a cheap one of those things, you have to question their usefulness:  https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/07/why-you-dont-need-to-worry-about-rfid-shielding/

18 hours ago, chrisg said:

Still trying to figure this one out unless the reporting is suspect.

Apparently in a lot (all ?) of cases where supermarkets, mostly Woolies apparently, had trouble PayWave stopped working but a card inserted and a signature worked, in a lot of cases at least.

That's odd, PayWave uses a one-time code verification so it's actually reasonably secure but the verification is handled at the bank, not by T$. Likewise for card being physically inserted.

I'm wondering if someone is not telling us the whole truth and actually the machines are behaving more like the mechanical swipes of old where below a certain value you just approved it and above that value you had to call for a verification number.

Dark ages but the traders expect a certain amount of loss on card transactions so just maybe the machine isn't contacting the bank at all., up to a certain value anyway.

That could make a bit of sense because Paywave is a different handshake.

Cheers

Wasn't just supermarkets - a whole lot of EFTPOS machines were down and couldn't even log on due to the outage - pay wave, insert and swipe was impossible without that log on. Our's was down for just shy of 1.5 hours - aint technology a great thing?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

🙂

I didn't say PayWave was secure Ry, just that it is more secure than people think it is.

RFID shielding is probably pretty useless it really depends upon the relative strength and sensitivity of any pairing of card chip and receiver unit. Personally I'd rather see it having to be a contact system but that is difficult to standardise on. As it is I've noticed in the last year or so that particularly with units that require you NOT to tap on the screen but above or to the side of it that they are considerably less sensitive, which is a good thing.

There's another aspect that people may not have thought of but is mentioned in that Lifehacker article. If you have more than one card in your wallet that uses RFID, and I'll bet you have, there are four in mine, that I can recall, then it takes a very, very sophisticated scanner to sort out which is which.

Mostly it's FUD, pure and simple.

Cheers

Edit.

Now that makes better sense Dev. i'd imagine in your shop system the scanner dials on demand ?  Supermarket systems are always on so they have persistence of logon - lose the connection and, probably because T$ were rebooting left and right to clear the fault, you don't get to reconnect. Basically the big boys are hard wired, smaller users go via an access server, sort of. T$ are aware that they do need to reboot those servers on a schedule so some gomer probably tried that first and the "cure" that wasn't flooded the system.

I doubt we will ever know but I'd suspect more than one issue some probably inflicted by trying to fix it - the first fault was possibly a glitch in the high level negotiation that is triggered by PayWave.

Edited by chrisg

Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2019 at 8:13 PM, @~thehung said:
On 11/07/2019 at 7:32 PM, eveln said:

The smell still shits me, especially coming in on the body of someone who's just had one.

ew, thats probably because the deceased also lost control of their bowels :S

Huh ? Why would you think the body coming in is deceased ? Does it not occur to you that I might describe them as a " body " rather than a person, cos they choose to continue to smoke ?

Edited by eveln

13 hours ago, Kimmo said:

How's that telecommunications infrastructure privatisation working out, Liberal voters? 

Well I voted Labor right up until this last election. To my knowledge the NBN was already gone to privitisation 😕  I'd like you to tell me how, if I'd voted Labor this election, that would have stopped NBN being privitised

NBN was a debate we lost years ago courtesy of extreme ignorance in Canberra Ev - it didn't really matter which party you voted for no one had clue one.

What we needed was an all optical network about two decades ago, instead we keep trying to wring abysmal performance out of crappy copper and we disappear, at high cost, into the abyss of losing the plot....

*Now Leo is going to tell me the copper is fine, no it is not, it's fucked*

I'm currently on an HFC NBN connection that is at least co-ax, which I'm still trying to figure out why, had four outages in six weeks that I'm aware of. NBN is shit, end of story.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

[My]  NBN is shit, end of story.

FTFY

Posted (edited)

...It's a sad tale that is repeated all across the country Nich.

This is my forth NBN connection, two in W.A. two in S.A. they have all been unreliable. Within my family there are over a dozen discrete connections and not one of them is satisfactory, that takes it well beyond the bounds of coincidence, I repeat, NBN is shit...end of story.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Heh.

It might be ok in your part of Australia but the N means National, it's fucked.

Not really the fault of the poor NBN folk at the coal-face, blame Canberra, they seriously fucked it up.

I think I've told the tale here before, Telstra had a group whose plan was to deliver fibre to the home over time, to EVERY home.

It ultimately makes sense, glass is cheaper than copper and lasts longer and once you get economy of scale the end user equipment costs tumble but they lost the battle and we are left with this rubbish.

I walked past a supposedly Telstra pit a week or so ago, some contractors were working in it - to call it a disgrace would be an understatement, a multitude of crush connectors.

To their credit the contractors were refusing to leave their mark on it, scheduling an outage to cut it out and reconnect properly.

It's a national disgrace and sticking your head in the sand is not going to make it go away.

Cheers

14 hours ago, eveln said:

Huh ? Why would you think the body coming in is deceased ? Does it not occur to you that I might describe them as a " body " rather than a person, cos they choose to continue to smoke ?

well somethings definitely deceased -

i think maybe your sense of humour!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

well somethings definitely deceased -

i think maybe your sense of humour!

derp !  my sense of context is skewed

Edited by scruffy1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

my guess is when you have recently been bereaved, the definition of body sorta assumes deceased

it's all a matter of context, not sense of humour

its not ungrammatical, but it IS a bit of an odd construction to say that you came in on, or walked in on, the body of someone neither dead nor sleeping — odd enough to warrant a dumb joke.

said dumb joke may well not be funny at all — just saying that ordinarily eveln would have identified it as an attempt at humour at least.

Edited by @~thehung

26 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

just saying that ordinarily eveln would have identified it as an attempt at humour at least.

nothing wrong with my humour ! ... but what does " :S " mean ?  Cos that's what you put after your comment I jumped on. And I'll have you know I didn't jump immediately, I festered it on it a while first ... and came to the conclusion you were once again critiquing my manner of speech. Of course that is your choice, but it's also mine to choose to respond how I wish ... so there !