Caelum

What's on your mind?

2 minutes ago, eveln said:

but what does " :S " mean ?

i dunno, i always took it to mean a grimace?  so to reinforce the exaggerated tone of being grossed out — as if i'd stumbled upon your your post but somehow managed to totally misread it.  <--- ha ha? ...    *tumbleweed*

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, eveln said:

Well I voted Labor right up until this last election. To my knowledge the NBN was already gone to privitisation 😕  I'd like you to tell me how, if I'd voted Labor this election, that would have stopped NBN being privitised

I'm not talking about now; I'm talking about the suckers who voted for bloody Howard. 

On it goes, the writing's been on the wall forever. 

4 hours ago, eveln said:

🤔

confused faced emoji? okay, what the hell, i will go ahead and take that on face value...

"The smell still shits me, especially coming in on the body of someone who's just had one [a cigarette]", can be read as a double entendre.  ie. is the smell coming in on their body?  or are you coming in on their body?  you obviously meant the the former, but i responded as if you meant the latter in order to allow MAXIMUM HILARITY and wonderment and levity to permeate all up in here.   because, not only is that interpretation nonsensically way off base, it also implies that for you, walking in on a person who has died immediately after smoking a cigarette is a regular enough thing to be a pet peeve of yours. 

am i making any sense?!?!? LOL  unless you think the joke was in bad taste, nothing there to cause annoyance i should think!

3 hours ago, @~thehung said:

am i making any sense?!?!?

Ordinarily, you make lots of sense :P~

Calling it early (Innings break) - England to win the Cricket World Cup, after NZ scores 8/241 (Aus was 223 the other day and they passed that with almost 18 overs to spare).

I reckon they'll probably do it in little over 40 overs.

On 13/07/2019 at 2:34 PM, chrisg said:

Heh.

It might be ok in your part of Australia but the N means National, it's fucked.

Well Australia is a nation, and it's happening in Australia, so do a few dozen (maybe?) unreliable connections you know about mean Australia as a country is fucked?

On 11/07/2019 at 10:13 PM, eveln said:

Why is that ?

The last time I was there, was for a funeral.  The good memories I had are mostly tinged at this point.

🙂

Get your head out of your ass Nich, wake up and smell the music.

The NBN is total disaster, if you do not recognise that there is something seriously wrong with your crapometer 🙂

Cheers

13 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Get your head out of your ass Nich, wake up and smell the music.

Australia is total disaster, if you do not recognise that there is something seriously wrong with your crapometer 🙂

Cheers

🙂

I rest my case, you do not get it....

Cheers

14 hours ago, Nich... said:
On 11/07/2019 at 10:13 PM, eveln said:

Why is that ?

The last time I was there, was for a funeral.  The good memories I had are mostly tinged at this point.

Yeah that'll stall things.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 9:28 PM, Kimmo said:

I'm not talking about now; I'm talking about the suckers who voted for bloody Howard. 

On it goes, the writing's been on the wall forever.  

I'm not a fan of privatisation. But I have to say our NBN at home is fine ( FTTN ), granted it's less than 200 meters from us 😉   which helps lots ... till of course the electricity supply goes. then like everything else it's rooted.

🙂

It's a third world at best system Ev.

In a way I understand it, huge country that once put in a no exceptions network for 'phones but POTS does not do high bandwidth and it gets worse as it ages. The Internet had not even been invented then.

Because the government deregulated Telstra, which could have quietly done it,  we are stuck with shit that is going to take decades to resolve - it's purely and simply political rubbish.

Can always find money for fundamentally useless F-35s ( and I'm an retired fighter pilot) but cheapskates on a quality network.

I'm glad your NBN is fine, a lot of the country it is not.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

It's a third world at best system Ev.

In a way I understand it, huge country that once put in a no exceptions network for 'phones but POTS does not do high bandwidth and it gets worse as it ages. The Internet had not even been invented then.

Because the government deregulated Telstra, which could have quietly done it,  we are stuck with shit that is going to take decades to resolve - it's purely and simply political rubbish.

Can always find money for fundamentally useless F-35s ( and I'm an retired fighter pilot) but cheapskates on a quality network.

I'm glad your NBN is fine, a lot of the country it is not.

Cheers

I'm glad I have FTTP, I've used 4G but at the moment I gets 5Mbps now. The towers there are saturated.

That's a part of the problem J, the pollies do not understand network saturation, actually neither does our own Leo, if you build it they will come, so build it large, not "adequate."

The physical layer should be transparent, it definitely is not in Oz atm....

Cheers

7 hours ago, chrisg said:

That's a part of the problem J, the pollies do not understand network saturation, actually neither does our own Leo, if you build it they will come, so build it large, not "adequate."

The physical layer should be transparent, it definitely is not in Oz atm....

Cheers

It gets as low as 2Mbps on 4G at times, barely enough for ... reading emails. The problem is Telstra own all the towers in Darwin shared with other telcos, so these towers are always ... overused.

My news on the way in today told me that it was a colder morning in Inisfail than in Melbourne ... granted, Inisfail is a few  hours down the road, but not far enough for my comfort levels ..

Too fucking cold it is !! 

• Haha 1

oh shit

the nbn came knocking at my door far too early this morning for my fatigue to appreciate the opportunity

i was woken by my spouse telling me they could use the foxtel cable as a conduit (i believe), and they announced they would be back in a short while

that was around 2 hours ago (sleep i would have happily had), and they are as yet invisible

i can hardly wait, but it appears i will have to, for some as yet ill defined time

i don't even want the fucking thing : adsl2 speedtest is currently @ 11Mbps via the phone line from optus - although night time is not much better that 3-4 sometimes

🙂

That is a part of the problem Scruffy, it's very dictatorial, you get no choice, the well established but ancient PSTN network is being turned off and along with it the QOS guarantee goes out the window.

That would be fine if it were being replaced by something useful , equal, or better, but it isn't it is an unequal hodge-podge using whatever you might have connecting you.

Best guess with Foxtel co-ax you'll be ok but I doubt it will be much if at all better than your old ADSL2, it MIGHT be more consistent.

It is the most underwhelming roll-out you could possibly imagine.

The saddest thing is that eventually we'll wake up to it and get real, then we'll have to do it all over again....

Cheers

• Haha 1

At my place, they ran the fibre through the copper cable ducts. I had a decent working copper cable too.

19 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I rest my case, you do not get it....

Cheers

What's wrong, did I hit a nerve, questioning your assumptions? ROFL

If the NBN is a pile of flaming shit because of your annecdata, then so is the country.

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

Best guess with Foxtel co-ax you'll be ok but I doubt it will be much if at all better than your old ADSL2, it MIGHT be more consistent.

IIRC they resolved most of the fuckups with segmenting HFC circuits.  If scruffy is getting HFC, and not able to happily chug away on 50/20 or 100/40...

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Heh.

I'm on HFC, not sure why but it's a coax connection - best I've seen thus far is sub 10 Mb/s but I'm paying for 25...

I'll let the Independent state the truth of the situation :

https://independentaustralia.net/business/business-display/the-tragedy-of-australias-nbn,11531

Cheers

And do you know why you're getting sub-10?