Jump to content
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

Yep, the back end is equally fucked.

 

iiNet know it, but it is not in their control - an upgrade is scheduled next month.

 

Be nice if just once you said something that didn't end in a query Nich....

 

You begin to look like a querulous moron.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and so, who is the least shit provider to it up for nbn ?

 

no, the install people haven't been seen again after their announcement that it was happening "right now"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you were a mod, chrisg, how well was it taken when some users were deliberately calling other users insulting names?  Did it set a particularly welcoming or inclusive tone back then?  Was it ever pointed out that the most basic ideal we have here, is "It's not what you say, it's how you say it"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does not matter mate, it's all upstream, I'm not at all surprised by your NBN installer rubbish, it's normal.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

and so, who is the least shit provider to it up for nbn ?

I've had good experience with Aussie Broadband.  They're usually a little more expensive but they also tend to provision more CVC per user, so less congestion from the portion of the network they can effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seemed to have streamlined the process for some.

 

I've recently encountered 2 Telstra customers who just got the modem and are told to plug it in and wait.

Then on the given day ADSL stops and VDSL starts.  At which point and I'm not sure they bother to tell people... take the line filter out of the setup and plug your phone gear into the back of the modem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chrisg said:

It does not matter mate, it's all upstream, I'm not at all surprised by your NBN installer rubbish, it's normal.

 

Cheers

 

 

You're obviously not supporting many people on NBN. The provider has made a huge difference in many cases around the central coast. People going from teens to 40s in speed. 

 

Aussie broadband has been good for lots of people. Leaptel has worked well for me too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is probably true flip, and very useful to know.

 

No, my clients are W.A and S.A. based, there are are not a huge number of choices to be had here, in the end T$ or TPG and its descendants.

 

I personally stayed with iinet, they do keep me advised of the next upgrade - due this weekend, I'm not expecting any massive improvement, but at least it might be more reliable.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chrisg said:

That is probably true flip, and very useful to know.

 

No, my clients are W.A and S.A. based, there are are not a huge number of choices to be had here, in the end T$ or TPG and its descendants.

 

I personally stayed with iinet, they do keep me advised of the next upgrade - due this weekend, I'm not expecting any massive improvement, but at least it might be more reliable.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

On an NBN connection, how are you limited in the retail provider you use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly by who takes an interest in the local market.

 

W.A. and S.A. are pretty much regarded as back waters really. However iinet in W.A. and Internode in S.A. were founded and thrived here.

 

Perhaps I'm a bit naive and should look wider afield but in the now many years I've been online I've been, briefly, with T$, then Optus, then ii and there I have stayed. They seem to have about the best support crew and in the many times that I've been asked for a recommendation I've always proposed them and never had any negative feedback.

 

However you are quite correct, I don't do a lot of domestic mostly I consult to the bigger players and they do get preferential treatment. I don't think I have ever even been asked at that level for a provider recommendation, they tend to already have locked in contracts with pretty solid KPIs - you won't get that at domestic level.

 

I had an interesting one two weekends ago myself though - my net went down, I called the ii desk just to confirm it was the actual connection and they confirmed that they were getting numerous calls but NBN were denying that anything was amiss. Then "magically" it all came back.

 

Best guess they were doing what should have been a seamless upgrade and someone dropped a screwdriver  🙂

 

It's all bubblegum and duct tape right now and it did not need to be, in the end the cheap approach ends up costing more but by then the culprits will be long gone.

 

Cheers

19 hours ago, Nich... said:

When you were a mod, chrisg, how well was it taken when some users were deliberately calling other users insulting names?  Did it set a particularly welcoming or inclusive tone back then?  Was it ever pointed out that the most basic ideal we have here, is "It's not what you say, it's how you say it"?

 

 

I'd missed this.

 

Are you trying to tell me that I say things in an objectionable manner ?

 

I disagree, I just like to keep conversations alive but no, I am anything but politically correct, which seems to be the current disease, and I never will be.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, eveln said:

I'm not a fan of privatisation. But I have to say our NBN at home is fine ( FTTN )

 

Yeah, I had FTTP at my last address, and it was fucking sweet.

 

But at the new place, it drops out. Mucho sucko.

13 hours ago, NZT48 said:

The past cannot be changed.

 

Depends how you look at it; history is pretty subjective without video evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It SHOULD be FTTP everywhere but going to take a while.

 

We could have had it two decades ago, instead we still in the main exist on decrepit copper.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kimmo said:

 

Yeah, I had FTTP at my last address, and it was fucking sweet. 

 

But at the new place, it drops out. Mucho sucko.

Okay. Well the difference is in the laying of the goods, yes ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

Yep.

a little while back we spent a couple of nights, an hour down the road in the city. Light everywhere, if not for the heavy lined curtain there's no way i would have slept. And you know, the lights only go out as daylight shines.

At least with the light the crime can be seen on all the cameras

Edited by eveln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to sell a Wifi range extender?

 

Instead of telling the truth, just create a conspiracy theory about ISPs throttling you back progressively using your own modem then tell them a 300 mbps device will miraculously restore what you're paying for.

https://wifiblastshop.com/tech/wifi-au.php?affId=DA2379F6&c1=au&c2=comp_fmun_un_adgroup2_res&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ij05-XC4wIVDq-OCh2oWgcZEAEYASAAEgJd0_D_BwE

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Depends how you look at it; history is pretty subjective without video evidence.

Perhaps even with it:

That is a 1994 movie (from 25 years ago). I am confident the technology would be a lot more advanced now.
 

Plus history is written by the victors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eveln said:

Okay. Well the difference is in the laying of the goods, yes ?

 

The difference is that a private company with publicly listed shares is all about next quarter's earnings, shareholder dividends and what have you, and being thoroughly distracted from the serious business of managing the nation's infrastructure with a view on the scope of a number of decades.

 

Neoliberal scum love to pretend they're the only adults in the room, but they are, by definition, not serious people. They're all about wank and swindle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kimmo said:
2 hours ago, eveln said:

Okay. Well the difference is in the laying of the goods, yes ?

 

The difference is that a private company with publicly listed shares is all about next quarter's earnings, shareholder dividends and what have you, and being thoroughly distracted from the serious business of managing the nation's infrastructure with a view on the scope of a number of decades.

 

Neoliberal scum love to pretend they're the only adults in the room, but they are, by definition, not serious people. They're all about wank and swindle.

Ya see, none of that says anything about the people on the ground actually doing the job. You're just going on about your particular hate of the current Gov. Slack bastards, who couldn't give a fuck about the job, occur everywhere. Which was where I was coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm feeling positive about my solar system, I spent most of the afternoon tidying up the battery banks & wiring. I want to tell people about it but no one really cares that much.

 

I have a 12v circuit which runs the lights and the cctv system consisting of 350w of solar, 430ah of agm batteries and 24v circuit to run all power tools via a 3000w inverter with 500w of solar & 2x50ah lithium batteries.

 

I had to keep expanding on the 12v circuit as I was continually challenged by the real world loads, but the 24v circuit is pretty awesome for big 30 second loads while continually powering my camping fridge full of beer. I have it all together so it can be disconnected from the shed and thrown into the back of a ute or a camper trailer if needed.

 

That's all that's on my mind.

 

https://i.ibb.co/7gVybM8/20190720-141548.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Tv5cFyq/20190702-173408.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/34QNzK1/20190702-173544.jpg

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2019 at 1:53 PM, chrisg said:

Are you trying to tell me that I say things in an objectionable manner ?

 

I disagree,

You know, you feel quite free to call me a moron and stupid and silly when you think so, so well, just let me tell you I think you have moments of sheeeeer fucking moronic stupidity.

 

I realise that you 're speaking to Nich  ( The Moderator ) here, but well I can be  more blunt in my capacity as a mere member, than he can as a Mod. - someone who should always be a little more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×