Caelum

What's on your mind?

Milk crates the most versatile piece of equipment ever built !!

have just watched a bloke in Sydney be restrained with a milk crate to the head  !

• Like 1

It beats immediate access to a 9mm- unfortunately he did manage to kill a defenseless girl first...

I've been listening to the news today and utterly bemused by the fact they sort of mention that as a coda...

Cheers

Posted (edited)

My work mobile is being harassed with dodgy phone numbers that come from the Congo. There are a number of variations, they ring for a bit then stop. I did make the mistake of returning a ' missed call' the other day, but it didn't work. Obviously some sort of scam shit ... But am over it now  

Edited by eveln
As in go fuck with some other number ffs!

Very unlikely to actually be from the Congo ev, someone bouncing off some open ports most likely, typical scam.

Cheers

*Bump*

Testing - just tried to post a video in "...watch lately" and got a "Bad Gateway" error.

OK - so it actually posted (twice) - strange.

Just so not to waste the post...

The Ashes

Just when I was thinking what an efficient bowling effort we put in to keep them to 258 in the 1st Innings, here we are now sitting at 4/80 in reply.  Fark.

36 minutes ago, Rybags said:

*Bump*

Testing - just tried to post a video in "...watch lately" and got a "Bad Gateway" error.

OK - so it actually posted (twice) - strange.

I had that when I wanted to post a clip about Clinton in a blue dress ... thought it mighta been a sensor for bad fashion sense 😛

I think there's some intermittent problems with this new forum version.   AtariAge is also using probably the same one now and some symptoms like weird delays when posting are common to both.

Yeah, do see a few more oddities than has been common of late.

Far too late now but I've always wondered why the forum was built on Invision - you have to pay for that stuff, SMF is, in my opinion much better, and it is free...

Cheers

18 hours ago, Rybags said:

I think there's some intermittent problems with this new forum version.   AtariAge is also using probably the same one now and some symptoms like weird delays when posting are common to both.

Do you know what version they're on?

9 hours ago, chrisg said:

Far too late now but I've always wondered why the forum was built on Invision - you have to pay for that stuff, SMF is, in my opinion much better, and it is free...

SMF, as in the one that hasn't had an update to it's stable branch in almost two years?

Yeah, likely SMF isn't too crash hot with it's rich internet content.  Though that said, the more Invision makes "enhancements" the more annoying and hard to control it becomes.

Most of Invision's work goes towards their e-commerce products in the bundle, I think.

Without people posting issues/being able to repro them, tho', hard to say what problems are happening where.

🙂

SMF is perfectly fine with rich content.

No, there has not been a major upgrade from 2.010 in a bit over 2 years - probably because it does not really need one.

I really cannot think of a single thing that I can do on Atomic that I cannot do on an SMF forum, very small one, that I look after. In fact in one regard it is superior, I don't have to go via notifications to be taken straight to a post, latest input will take me straight there. In general it is very much a friendly navigable environment , that does not want for much, and to repeat, it's free  🙂

I've no doubt Invision has some features it lacks, just can't think of any.

Plus of course you have the source code so if you want something and have the skills, go for it   🙂

Cheers

I didn't say major upgrade.  That's obviously the point of their preview branch - which has been in existence for somewhere around 5 years without much fruit.. Their stable branch hasn't even had point updates.

I'm not sure what SMF can do now has much relevance to what was available in 07/08.

I guess it is more a case of just what do you really need in a forum package.

If you ever have the yen drift over to aussiecue.com.au, it actually exists under the currently stagnant dudeworld, also written in smf and take a look. It's a quiet but not inactive place that is as it says, all about food and the cooking thereof.

Does everything we need.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chrisg said:

Does everything we need.

... and yet you're here ... spruiking other forums is like, not classy  dude ... it's like, visiting a friend and saying being somewhere else would be  better 😕

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)

😉

Different sites suit different needs. Not spruiking at all , could not give a shit if anyone from here came to Aussiecue, they would have to be rather passionate about food and particularly bbq to fit in - not too much evidence of that here.

I think most anyone who pays any attention knows of the existence  of Dudeworld - it was an Atomic spin-off from before I believe you even joined Atomic - the dude, Richo, became very disenchanted with Atomic so did his own thing.

That's the thing with forums, you don't have to stay and you do not have to be loyal to one. I'll bet that a lot of Atomicans left for Facebook, some have come back some have talked about it, some never went.

Similarly a number left for Reddit, Robzy was among them, and mentioned it - not spruiking just mentioning why he was not around as much as usual.

So get your knickers unknotted, not a good look on a Sunday - I spend more time here than most anywhere else and I was here before you and probably will still be here when you are gone.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

5 minutes ago, chrisg said:

... will still be here when you are gone.

NAhhh mate, I'll out live you by more than a mile ...  my staying power is truly phenomenal

• Haha 1

'nah nah forums are like flowers and we're like bees, we can go to any of them we want so please get your knickers unknotted ps my dick is bigger than yours I was here first' 🤷‍♀️

lol.

😛  my nickers are in the drawer ( still in jamas- mode here it's Sunday ffs ! ) ...and my jammies do not knot