Caelum

What's on your mind?

🙂

I do not recall if you were or not Nich both early, very early days, but the bee analogy is a very good one  🙂

(Of course, neither of us can prove it - lost in the mist of meltdowns 🙂 )

Cheers

26 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Of course, neither of us can prove it - lost in the mist of meltdowns

What was lost and can't be proven?

🙂

ROFL in fact !!

We did lose a lot somewhere back there , including some classic posts.

Ah well, life goes on   🙂

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I do not recall if you were or not Nich both early, very early days, but the bee analogy is a very good one  🙂

(Of course, neither of us can prove it - lost in the mist of meltdowns 🙂 )

Cheers

I beat you both by a bit.  And I'm still here, still actively kicking Nich's arse and will still be here when the lights go off.

I've also been part of / am part of a number of forums outside of here.  DIfference is that I don't mention it because it has no bearing on here.

We don't have a say in what our playground is built on, and should perhaps just consider ourselves incredibly blessed to still have a playground at all that allows us to roam free like the wildebeast.

• Like 2

🙂

I'd probably prefer like the Bengal Tiger but otherwise totally agree with you  Chaos.

I was not promoting other web sites, it does not work that way at all, just showing some SMF examples is all.

But Nich is right, nothing welds us  to a site,  if it did a lot more members would still be here. Instead they have flitted off, like wandering bees - but some come home... 🙂

Cheers

Yes,

It's rather peculiar, there was a spike in radiation but only for a relatively short period of time and not the sort of radiation that would be associated with another Chernobyl for example.

I guess the truth will slowly emerge, if they are indeed messing with a nuclear powered rocket they are skating on very thin ice, the dynamics of nuclear powered rockets are such that you cannot completely shield the engine - too much weight - makes them somewhat difficult to test...

In the depths of the cold war the  U.S actually did look at this option, even the nuts were afraid of it, essentially it would be spewing radiation all along its flight path and once all its warheads were used up it could crash on its final target.

This is why we have nuclear treaties, you know,  ones like the IRBM limitation that Trump has torn up...

Cheers

I'm so over Youtube's bullshit. Their 'reccomendations' blow chunks. I installed a plugin so I could block crap like Jordan fucken Peterson, but it's still shit.

Anyone aware of any sort of third-party means of browsing youtube?

Why don't you just not click on the recommendations?

It'd be nice if some of the page full of thumbnails I see weren't the same old crap. The only ones I'm interested in are videos I've already watched; it bites. 

How do you find YT content? 

?

I don't seem to have any trouble, connect via a TelstraTV Smart TV box, it's just one of the apps - get ads at the start but one only and can just browse around.

Might be missing something - I really make very little use of TV in general 🙂

Cheers

39 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

It'd be nice if some of the page full of thumbnails I see weren't the same old crap. The only ones I'm interested in are videos I've already watched; it bites. 

How do you find YT content? 

Usually by specifically searching for something, sometimes by browsing other videos on a channel if it's sub-worthy.

See, I guess I'm just pining for a recommendation system that actually does what it says on the tin, rather than drive 'engagement'. 

They keep fucking with the algorithm (typical Google) - for a while it was actually good.

But now it seems to regurgitate the same stuff you looked at 2 weeks ago, and regurgitate the same stuff you didn't watch 3 days ago.

And for some reason for a while it was giving me constant screenfuls of cat videos despite me barely ever watching that sort of thing.

What annoys me more though is the interface - they started the new one that forces you to use some ridiculous tablet-like huge font thing.  I opted for the old one but it's only allowing that on my desktop, when I go away my laptop defaults to the "new" which is moreso bad since the resolution is lower and much less stuff fits onscreen.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kimmo said:

I'm so over Youtube's bullshit. Their 'reccomendations' blow chunks. I installed a plugin so I could block crap like Jordan fucken Peterson, but it's still shit.

do you log in? 

i dont have a YT account.  never saw the rationale for why a video delivery platform needs to keep account of me, even pre-Google.  the supposed benefits are.... what? — something like push notification of new content in your subscriptions, and lame robotic "you might also like" recommendations.  yeah fuck all that.  i bookmark the 'videos' tab on accounts i like, and check in every once in a while, ordering them by date.

...anyway.  since i dont make much of an effort to be untrackable in my ordinary YT watching browser, Google still manages to stalk me with their creepy recommendations during a session.  HOWEVER, my cookies are deleted between sessions, and this seems to be enough to cause something of a refresh.  in a new session, recommendations tend to be populated with stuff solely related to the search string that landed me on a YT video, and with little to nothing related to the YT content i tend to revisit day-to-day.  but then again, i really wouldnt know if this is normal???????? 

Edited by @~thehung

59 minutes ago, Rybags said:

What annoys me more though is the interface - they started the new one that forces you to use some ridiculous tablet-like huge font thing. 

dont think ive encountered that yet... but its only a matter of time i guess.

tell me this:  they added the "Miniplayer" button, but what the fuck use is that if not to browse comments while watching a video — which you cant seem to do?  that would actually be useful, because often while listending to video i find ive strayed all the way down the comment cess pit expanding threads when something happens that i need to see and dont want to lose my spot.  its retarded that i have to copy some comment text before scrolling all the way up so i can Ctrl-F back to where i was.

Posted (edited)

Miniplayer?  OK, found it.  Seems that's only available with the new style interface.

The other annoyance is you can't just open the comments all at once, you get dripfed each time you press the "Show more" button and the sort algorithm there for "Top comments first" - WTF?

There's a website that allows it thought - http://ytcomments.klostermann.ca/scrape

Edited by Rybags

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

no

i would try vimeo

or aeon

but i confess i also watch youtube sometimes

8 hours ago, @~thehung said:

do you log in? 

I don't have an account with yt either  ... I did make one with iView / abc but I rarely bother to log in there .

I've come to the conclusion with yt that they just be asking me to log in as some sort of courtesy, like they not be looking at me from the moment I turn my 'puter on ( tinfoil hat wedged firmly on head ) they still have my history and drop shit at my ' door ' regardless

logging in on iview will open it at what you were last viewing if incomplete, i think

i rarely watch it these days

I sign into YouTube so everything is ad free as I use Google play music for streaming at it plays well with chromecast audio and has the added bonus of ad free YouTube. 

I logged in by habit when I was into content creation.  It's handy now since I can see quickly what subs have new videos.

Thanks to FF extensions I've been ad-free most of the time I've ever used it.

Thanks to another FF ext, I download stuff I want to keep or that's long enough to watch on a proper screen.  Though annoyingly they now do protection on most music, but there's websites that can help with that though they're usually full of dodgy popups.

Posted (edited)

Pell failed to overturn his conviction, so he's stuck in gaol. Of course his ardent supporters will complain ...

Edited by Jeruselem

50 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Pell failed to overturn his conviction, so he's stuck in gaol. Of course his ardent supporters will complain ...

And I just this minute read a header from my news feed.

I held a quiet doubt of this outcome. I'm glad to be wrong.

Yeah,

I had wondered if the as yet unidentified Paeds would cushion him, glad they did not.

Cheers