Caelum

What's on your mind?

So glad we have Andrew Bolt sticking it to the man and standing up for the little guy on the Pell appeal failure.

27 minutes ago, Nich... said:

So glad we have Andrew Bolt sticking it to the man and standing up for the little guy on the Pell appeal failure.

Ah yes the little guy backed by the original multinational corporation, the Catholic Church.

8 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I sign into YouTube so everything is ad free as I use Google play music for streaming at it plays well with chromecast audio and has the added bonus of ad free YouTube. 

i use firefox and have never seen an ad on youtube this decade

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:
1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Ah yes the little guy backed by the original multinational corporation, the Catholic Church.

tbh, I think the church hung him out to dry Jeruselem. I think that's the only reason he actually ended up back in the country.

... but it's right to describe Pell as " the little guy " if he were truly the man he thought he was, his own personal history and those of whom he had impact on would / could have been quite different

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

i use firefox and have never seen an ad on youtube this decade

where as, I use firefox but no ad blocker to be seen here. I figure giving commercial tv and even SBS the boot and not buying newspapers or magazines or even having a mailbox to collect junkmail in, the least I can do is allow the ads on line. I am learning to just not see them, and only have the sound on if wearing headphones 

re your comment on iView, I still go there but for mostly nonfiction stuffs 😉

Edited by eveln

I wouldn't run things like ublock and noscript if I didn't think that ads were good for trashing things by not being secured properly most of the time.

Good point - ads these days seem to be the vector for a significant number of browser hijacks and virus/malware infestations.  Not to mention stealing jiggahertz for crypto mining which some people seem to think should be an acceptable practice.

We have protection ! I've yet to suffer from virus / malware infestations and as I refuse to do any online money stuffs, I think I'm pretty low risk here.  * touches wood *

Where you surf to can have a big bearing on that.  Though these days by default the browsers will block a lot of stuff though it can be annoying having to do workarounds on legit sites that have expired or invalid certificates, and having sites blocked that you know are OK.

Yep ^^^ I think it's been about three -ish years since I've needed a re-boot ... have to say it's comforting my hands are always *touching wood* physically as well as metaphorically

It's off to the high court for our favourite Cardinal who's still in gaol.

16 hours ago, eveln said:

where as, I use firefox but no ad blocker to be seen here. I figure giving commercial tv and even SBS the boot and not buying newspapers or magazines or even having a mailbox to collect junkmail in, the least I can do is allow the ads on line.

i don't consider advertising has any merit whatsoever, and actively block it everywhere possible - the absence of my "hits" on sponsored sites won't make a jot of difference to them, but benefits to my sanity from a clean browser is priceless

my approach is to actively research stuff i am interested in collecting, and rely on serendipity in the forums to alert me to stuff i never knew about (like the khadas tone board, f'rinstance)

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

i don't consider advertising has any merit whatsoever, and actively block it everywhere possible - the absence of my "hits" on sponsored sites won't make a jot of difference to them, but benefits to my sanity from a clean browser is priceless

my approach is to actively research stuff i am interested in collecting, and rely on serendipity in the forums to alert me to stuff i never knew about (like the khadas tone board, f'rinstance)

Ohh I don't not remove it cos I think there's merit in it. although people earn livings from it, and I don't wish their livings gone because I find the ads irksome. So I just ignore them. So far so good really 😉

In near 25 years of using the 'net I think I've clicked on an ad deliberately less than a dozen times and accidentally about half that.  Regardless of adblocking in place or not.

^^ I'm pretty sure I've yet to click on one

OMM .... yesterday morning I thought perhaps I might, but tonight I'm pretty sure, that I have indeed grown as a human  .

Early yesterday morning the bathroom was first thing on my agenda this is normal . Also normal is my ability to pick up on spiders or any other creepy crawlies that might venture into the same room.

Now, here's where it first became apparent that I had grown/evolved. Whilst in the process of peeing I noted a spider not three feet distant. Size about 3cm diameter, and, moving. It actually moved like it was pissed off by me presence ffs.

Not only did I not project myself off the loo, screaming like a banshee for Walt, or grab my slipper and splatter it so far into the tile it might have become one with it, I once again tonight ( whilst visiting the loo ) allowed it to live.

I was sorta hoping it would make it's way back out side already ... it's down one leg due most likely to the rampaging geckos.

fashion chic is me... dressing gown, one of Walt's jackets, explorer socks and slippers . won't share colour scheme . bit nippy here this morn

Posted (edited)

I've wondered for a long time - was Dwayne Dibbley (one of Red Dwarf's alter-egos for The Cat) based on Steve Urkel (from Full House) ?

Urkel first appeared in 1989, Dibbley about 4 years later.

The 'net seems to have little/no help, other than the odd page listing alter egos (Steve had a cool version known as Stefan Urquelle)

Idontwanttobeduanedibley.jpg

Steve-Urkel.jpg

Edited by Rybags

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I've wondered for a long time - was Dwayne Dibbley (one of Red Dwarf's alter-egos for The Cat) based on Steve Urkel (from Full House) ?

From Family Matters if that helps

I think Urkel is a lot more confident than Dibley. I figured Dibley was just a fun thing to do to the oh so suave cat. 

Edit: although I just read Urkel guested on Full House and Step by Step

Edited by fliptopia
More info

at the hump marker of a long fortnight. time for sleep

Urkel ? =  a misogynist's fantasy

not a viewing went by I didn't want to wrap his braces around his smile

I didn't really watch the show, he was annoying but funny.  And looking back, a pretty enormously talented acting effort.

ive always been curious about that show and what the deal was with that character.

but i never saw much more than a second of it.  that Urkel thing made me want to smash shit just from the clips they'd play promoting the show.  i just couldnt do it...switch channel over...okay okay fat dad...then the Urkel would walk in, yeah fuck this, i really thought i could do it, but i really cant do it haha

There are two kinds of people - those who lap that shit up, and those who want someone to die for it.

Fucken Urkel! No way, man

It's the trend with so many sitcoms - there's an annoying character (sometimes the main one) that polarizes the audience.

The Nanny - she was a right looker but I couldn't stand the voice and didn't thing much of the demeanor, so gave it a miss.

Everybody Loves Raymond - he's a funny bloke and so were some of the others but the mother in law was a giant pain in the arse, so I didn't watch the show.

Frazier - his brother Niles, couldn't stand him.

Bewitched - Gladys Cravitz (sp?) - luckily she was only once or twice per series.

Friends - prettywell the entire cast.

The Big Bang Theory - as above.

I kinda liked the Dyn-o-mite guy from Good Times.

• Haha 1