Caelum

What's on your mind?

14 hours ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

Shitbag arsonists set fire to lorry trailers (full of spare parts for washing machines & fridges) opposite our depot causing £2million damage.

I suspect they'll get a slap on the wrists !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7413671/Five-teenage-boys-aged-15-19-arrested-arson-inferno-Whirlpool-factory.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

I'd tie arsonists to a post and set them on fire but that's me.

• Like 1

...Hardly seems worth reporting but a random shooting in Texas has taken thus far five lives.

When will they ever learn ?

Cheers

10 hours ago, chrisg said:

...Hardly seems worth reporting but a random shooting in Texas has taken thus far five lives.

When will they ever learn ?

Cheers

Thoughts and prayers aren't working ... need to pray harder?

Oh, they are thinking differently alright scruffy.

With the death toll up to seven now Texas has passed new laws making it EASIER to own guns and have them in public places including schools...

They are truly insane - Trump calls it a "mental Health problem" whose he does not stipulate, and a Republican in Austin Says "pray more..."

Unbelievable.

Cheers

On 8/30/2019 at 5:06 PM, eveln said:

On 8/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, chrisg said:

She's way down in Esperance Ev, far from the effects - Perth is getting a drenching though...

Cheers

Yep all good - had a few glorious days to finish winter off.  I even cracked out the shorts last Thursday when we got a max of 34 😁😁

39 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

Yep all good - had a few glorious days to finish winter off.  I even cracked out the shorts last Thursday when we got a max of 34 😁😁

mein gott !! is that even allowed ??

...okay glad you and the biz are all good.

13 hours ago, chrisg said:

"pray more..."

With the amount of preying going on due to all the shootings in the US, there should only be love and well wishes flying around everywhere - not bullets.

Rather odd.

i'm not far from the airport at all  and it was clear here as the sun rose.

However no, Adelaide never has been Cat3 rated, ie. full autoland, never really been deemed necessary.

it's enough that we do at least have ILS I guess, although even it does not really get a lot of actual use - pilots fly it for night landings but usually the strip is right there  so it's a luxury not a necessity.

Personally if a strip has active ILS I'll use it, if it is below 100m viz and there is no ILS I'll consider going somewhere else 🙂

(That assumes the strip is even taking incoming at that visibility, they do in Europe, prefer not to most other places. )

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Dear Geekbench people, can you please allow the 4 license to work with your new version 5 because I only bought it this year.

Thank you

(For some reason, you can download exe for 2 and 3 but not 4 which redirects you to 5)

Edited by Jeruselem

WOMM?

A rather unusual and heartening reaction in America to the last tragic mass shootings.

Walmart have completed no longer selling handguns anywhere, they had actually banned them everywhere but Alaska before, and have also stopped selling handgun and assault rifle calibre ammunition - they stopped selling assault rifles a while ago. They are also stopping people from open carrying weapons in their stores, even in States where it is permitted and they videotape all gun sales.

it's  highly commendable that a corporation has gone to these lengths, presumably at a loss to itself, in a bid to stop gun violence.

It does not go far enough of course, those who want them will only go elsewhere but Walmart was once the easiest, and usually cheapest, place in the U.S. to buy a gun. Real change has to come from Washington, where Trump is too busy checking himself in the mirror and tweeting to spare time for the matter - quite apart from relying on NRA votes.

The  NRA itself of course immediately condemned the move, drooling all over the 2nd Amendment, as usual - brainless drivel from gun toting idiots in other words.

It's actually an even gutsier move on Walmart's part than some might realise. Without being derogatory or type casting the typical gun owner in America would certainly fit the demographic of a typical Walmart frequent shopper.

Whether they will notice or not is of course a different matter.

Quite some years ago now Zephyr and I and another friend were in Cleveland and visited a Walmart. Zeph was somewhat stunned to find you could basically turn a corner, part a curtain and be in an armory.

Not any more, just the legitimate end of hunting rifles and shotguns with ID checks whether the State requires it or not.

That's actually a huge leap, much more than you might think.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

WOMM?

A rather unusual and heartening reaction in America to the last tragic mass shootings.

Walmart have completed no longer selling handguns anywhere, they had actually banned them everywhere but Alaska before, and have also stopped selling handgun and assault rifle calibre ammunition - they stopped selling assault rifles a while ago. They are also stopping people from open carrying weapons in their stores, even in States where it is permitted and they videotape all gun sales.

it's  highly commendable that a corporation has gone to these lengths, presumably at a loss to itself, in a bid to stop gun violence.

It does not go far enough of course, those who want them will only go elsewhere but Walmart was once the easiest, and usually cheapest, place in the U.S. to buy a gun. Real change has to come from Washington, where Trump is too busy checking himself in the mirror and tweeting to spare time for the matter - quite apart from relying on NRA votes.

The  NRA itself of course immediately condemned the move, drooling all over the 2nd Amendment, as usual - brainless drivel from gun toting idiots in other words.

I'st actually an even gutsier move on Walmart's part than some might realise. Without being derogatory or type casting the typical gun owner in America would certainly fit the demographic of a typical Walmart frequent shopper.

Whether they will notice or not is of course a different matter.

Quite some years ago now Zephyr and I and another friend were in Cleveland and visited a Walmart. Zeph was somewhat stunned to find you could basically turn a corner, part a curtain and be in an armory.

Not any more, just the legitimate end of hunting rifles and shotguns with ID checks whether the State requires it or not.

That's actually a huge leap, much more than you might think.

Cheers

Hmm,

Dunno what happened there, went to make a minor spelling edit and it doubled itself.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Walmart are a private business, they can pick and choose what they want to sell (legally).

If you want to buy guns and ammo, go to a gun store! I'm sure the gun store owner is a NRA member and would be happy for the extra business.

Edited by Jeruselem

🙂

Of which there are plenty of in America of course.

However Walmart always was the cheap end of things, as it is with most stuff really.  Guns tend to have a degree of elitism in America - take a look at "American Handgunner" if you can even find it any more at a newsagent in Australia and you'll see lots of ads for highly collectable, extremely expensive guns that actually in the main never even get fired - reduces their value.

Americans have an enduring love affair going on with guns but if you look back over the mass shootings of the last few years I do not think you will find much in the way of well-heeled people going amuck with guns, it's the poorer end of society and/or teens that go nuts.

Perhaps that is a part of the blind spot they have - shooters who have large gun collections do tend to be at the wealthier end of the spectrum, perhaps they just do not understand that their to them "harmless" hobby is getting people killed.

Somehow that would not surprise me much, but it is those wealthier Americans that tend to control the politics.

Cheers

I don't actually hate guns totally, I have shot them when I had access to them but ... I know what they are. They aren't toys, they are designed for one thing ... KILLING

Hmm.

I used to love paper punching and skeet, been a long, long time since I shot  at a living thing let alone hit it, but I do enjoy punching paper and blowing away clays - at great expense.

However I do not enjoy it so much that I'm ever going to insist upon any right to have a gun that in the end is just for a relaxing hobby - not worth the risk.

I do own guns, but not in this country, just did not want to part with them after putting a lot of work into them so store them under lock and key off-shore.

May or may not ever need them again - then getting to them might be a challenge 🙂

Cheers

🙂

I'm tipping a very quick election and he may well beat the record for shortest time in office.

Trouble is that implies a win by Labor and I really do not trust their leader one little bit.

Cheers

No sympathy for Boris from me, him and Nigel created Brexit and it still a thorn up where the sun don't shine.

Indeed.

One day the British might realise there is just 20 miles of water that separates them from Europe - get over it.

Cheers