Caelum

What's on your mind?

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

Indeed.

One day the British might realise there is just 20 miles of water that separates them from Europe - get over it.

Cheers

True, and even less separates Russia from Ukraine.

• Like 1

Hmm.

When you have land as opposed to natural water barriers you are always going to have a strategic challenge.

Ukrainians do not want to be back under the Russian yoke, it would be a very good idea if Moscow would respect that - whether they will - only time will tell.

It is very different though, Russia takes states by force, mostly in some weird belief that because they liberated them in WWII they should be able to keep them, but also to provide barriers between Russia proper and the nations of NATO.

It's rather different for Britain,  they still seem to think that because they held the line against Germany twice they can continue alone.

Short answer, they can only continue alone in poverty in the long run, the opposite applies for Ukraine, Russia will rape them.

Cheers

8 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

I'm tipping a very quick election and he may well beat the record for shortest time in office.

Trouble is that implies a win by Labor and I really do not trust their leader one little bit.

Cheers

yeah, what is it about Corbyn?

not basing this impression on anything specific he has said or done, but his whole manner just screams "I'm a thoroughly ineffectual git!"

...the kind of person who leaves admonishing notes on sharehouse fridges because nobody is following the rules he thought 'everyone' agreed to, like "Green vegetables should go on the LEFT side of the crisper!" and who will never find out who keeps stealing his pickles because everyone is always stealing his pickles, because nobody ever asked him to be in charge of the fridge, and because he's such an unlikeable ineffectual git.

the potential leader of a country?  potential parking inspector of a small country town more like. 

• Haha 1

🙂

I tend to think he might lack the qualifications for that role as well....

Cheers

obviously there is nothing about Corbyn.  I did appreciate the grin I got from @thehung's post.

Wouldn't it just rot the socks of the British MP's who voted against Brexit without conditions to see Boris and his tousled hair become the next elected PM . lol.

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

It's rather different for Britain,  they still seem to think that because they held the line against Germany twice they can continue alone.

You talk like them wanting independence of thought from the EU means a declaration of war ... you seem never to be happy unless bringing on the doomsdays.

Alone ? They can trade with all the other countries ffs. They will more than likely trade with countries within the EU too.

Edited by eveln

Hmm,

No Ev, I  just think Britain is, whether it likes it or not, a part of Europe first and the rest of the world second and it does not exactly help that a chunk of what is, at the moment, a part of the U.K. is on the same island as a member of the EU who has no intention of leaving.

Having been a part of the EU for a few decades the disengagement is not as simple as people want to think it is.

Sure they will most likely go on trading with Europe, but at a cost of customs overhead that does not exist at the moment.

Johnson is just a throwback, an Eton boy who still thinks there is an empire.

It's long gone Shaggy, get real.

Cheers

41 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Sure they will most likely go on trading with Europe, but at a cost of customs overhead that does not exist at the moment.

which will have to work both ways .So it will keep people gainfully employed working out new deals with individual countries, hopefully more in favour for all involved

All that means is that after several years of fighting to get INTO the then called Common Market, several decades of being a part of it, the country, which by the way I was born in, end back not even at square one but back from where they were.

Brexit is overall a lunacy, England is a part of Europe and it profits from being a part of the greater economy.

No, I don't much like the over- governance, or the realities of having to bail out sick members but it is a package, overall Britain is much better off in than out.

Leo, will, when he gets here, disagree with me, and cite the overbearing nature of the EU probably, I don't disagree but it can be improved and streamlined from within, much harder if not impossible to do from without.

Europe can be a rather strange place overall, the French do not really trust the Brits, or the Germans, and it is mutual, the Italians tend not to care much, and so it goes on but the EU is a work in progress, and it has kept war or even trade war, which the Prez is so into, off the agenda for over seven decades.

That is an achievement that should not be overlooked, Europe had not gone anything like that period of time before without dispute one way or another.

It is a leveling influence, over administered, over politicised, too many lawyers and accountants, I utterly agree, but it is much better than what came before it and it can get better, if moron Boris and his cohorts would look to the future possibilities and not want to live on dead and gone past glory.

That is exactly what the Brexiteers are on about, Rule Britannia bullshit.

I'm English, proud to be, fought for the place, and for others I suppose, but I am not at all proud of a privileged dickhead thinking he knows what is best for the country, because really he does not have at all much of a clue.

The people are starting to stir - I really do hope that an election is forced upon him, that he loses and then we deal with the next problem, Corbyn...oh God, why is it only a choice between dickhead and dickhead ?

Seems to be the same all over just now, half the reason America hasn't ditched Trump yet is they are afraid of the alternative...

Cheers

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I'm English, proud to be

So what. I don't mean to be nasty but geez a lot of us have English heritage  ... and yet none of us are even trying to live in Britain. Your statement means nothing in context here.

The only way the EU will meaningfully change is for countries to pull out. Look what has happened to countries Like Italy, and Greece and Spain for starters  ... places like Venice trying to live off tourism while the country literally falls apart under the weight of the people and ships passing through it. Britain has to pull out and so do other countries, and they will survive. What won't survive is the diseased controlling body of the current EU.

38 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Seems to be the same all over just now, half the reason America hasn't ditched Trump yet is they are afraid of the alternative... 

hah.

39 minutes ago, chrisg said:

The people are starting to stir - I really do hope that an election is forced upon him, that he loses and then we deal with the next problem, Corbyn...oh God,

God ? 

I have heard people saying that yesterday was a sad day for democracy.
I have to disagree emphatically.

For fifty years, our parliament has been infiltrated by a cancerous cabal that has been serving the malevolent agenda of globalist forces who are intent on undermining and destroying the Britain that we love.
Many have concealed their identity and on the surface have seemed like MPs going about their business, not making waves,unknown and by and large inconspicuous. However, beyond the presenting facade, they have been facilitating the creeping, progressive undermining of our democracy and the establishing of EU supremacy.

They are what is known as sleepers, intended to stay in the background, until the status quo is affected and threatened, then, they are activated and spring to life. Unbeknown to us, these sleepers have been distorting democracy for years and without Brexit, would have remained hidden. Brexit was a threat, but under May, could be controlled and managed.

Now that Boris has grasped the nettle and is pushing forward, these enemies of the state, these quislings, these traitors to the Country have been exposed and have had to reveal their true colours. This had to happen if true democracy was to prevail. Now that these shills have been flushed out, we can rid our parliament of all these assets who are working against this Country and re-establish a parliament which is truly democratic and which is truly representative of the wishes of the British people. This sequence of events was absolutely necessary and indeed vital in order to achieve this. The swamp is being drained.......on reflection, a very good day for democracy!.

(The same is going on Down There only you have no EU as an excuse)

On another note....

I hope they pay him double time.
"Your attention please, Dis is your captain Tobias Wilcox. Today I commandeer Flight 372 for your pleasure. We shall be flying at an altitude of Tirty two Tousand feet. Please fasten seatbelts and refrain from smoking  until...Forever" !
Woh.. We're going to....

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-04/legend-dad-on-holiday-flies-delayed-easyjet-flight-to-spain-after-original-pilot-missing/?fbclid=IwAR33fPHd9AxtBj6xaxkjn4PgrPfgEiK5aU6XZzA_FWCeg_JW2hxEleZ6ko0

Edited by Outcast_Aussie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eveln said:

obviously there is nothing about Corbyn.  I did appreciate the grin I got from @thehung's post.

Wouldn't it just rot the socks of the British MP's who voted against Brexit without conditions to see Boris and his tousled hair become the next elected PM . lol.

Sure.  Just like May called an election and won.  Doesn't mean she could get anything done on Brexit.

3 hours ago, eveln said:

places like Venice trying to live off tourism while the country literally falls apart under the weight of the people and ships passing through it. Britain has to pull out and so do other countries, and they will survive. What won't survive is the diseased controlling body of the current EU.

What?

6 hours ago, Nich... said:

Sure.  Just like May called an election and won.  Doesn't mean she could get anything done on Brexit. 

I think I recall May as being against the whole idea of Brexit, but as PM and the country's vote for it, she was attempting, some say stalling, with proposed deals to make it eventually occur. It seemed like the EU was / is trying to make Britain pay stupendous billions for the right to leave it's clawing fold ...

On another note ...

It's 16c atm *shiverrrs * ...fucksake... yay Spring is here .

I don't think you really understand what you are talking about Ev, so I'll leave it alone.

That's a very interesting take Outcast, care to elaborate further ?

One thing that is certain is there is a lot of dead wood in the parliaments of most all nations at the moment.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

well duh, thats obviously because they are part of a cancerous cabal that has been serving the malevolent agenda of globalist forces who are intent on undermining and destroying the Britain that we love. 🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

well duh, thats obviously because they are part of a cancerous cabal that has been serving the malevolent agenda of globalist forces who are intent on undermining and destroying the Britain that we love. 🤣

The UK is the originator of the globalists, it is the original globalist.

Edited by Jeruselem

*Sigh* always the snarky.

I'll say one thing - you do not understand Venice.

The city has been slowly sinking into the lake for centuries. rather than abandon it they have instead made it into one of the great tourist attractions of the world - one of only two things that it really has going for it, the other is the pretty Venetian Glass, and it is not the locals that buy that.

Predictions say that the place will likely be uninhabitable sometime this century, no one seems to really know when, so they are cashing in on its history and not quite but almost unique "water streets" (Bangkok has a network of canals as well) whilst they can.

Most cruises of the Med go there, but they are very strictly controlled and scheduled into and out of the port - most actually dock elsewhere, let passengers journey overland to Venice and pick them up, or vice versa.

In the laisse faire way of Italians i doubt it is terribly well organised overall but the Venetians do not seem concerned over it.

That in total has absolutely nothing to do with the EU, nada - it has been going on one way or another for well over a century as Venice slowly sinks into oblivion.

The EU may well fail, but I hope not, it is a valuable step forward that simply needs, very badly to clean up its creaking infrastructure.

However you do have to at least sympathise - developing an organisation that can accommodate the different mores of Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy and a host more is a truly Herculean task.

It's important though, the sub-continent has had more than enough war, no more is needed and dissolving economic jealousies and opening borders is a huge step towards making it truly a thing of the past.

Cheers

Cheers

Edited by chrisg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, eveln said:

I think I recall May as being against the whole idea of Brexit, but as PM and the country's vote for it, she was attempting, some say stalling, with proposed deals to make it eventually occur. It seemed like the EU was / is trying to make Britain pay stupendous billions for the right to leave it's clawing fold ...

I see brexit akin to selling a house.  Depending on how urgently you want to get out, you can either get the best deal possible, or just sell it for $1 and be done with it.  No-deal brexiters sound, to me, like the kind of person who is like 'this sucks, we want out ASAP!' and sell the house for $1, and think that now they don't have a house they don't have to repay the home loan. 🤷‍♀️

Just now, chrisg said:

*Sigh* always the snarky.

*sigh* always the patronising father figure who knows best.

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

*sigh* always the patronising father figure who knows best.

🙂

Think so ?

More a case of not keeping quiet whilst someone spouts rubbish...

Cheers

Unlike everyone else on here, right?

If you're going to tone police others, consider your own tone of posting.

• Haha 1

Usually with age, comes wisdom.

Some times even an infalted ego.

Northern NSW is going up in flames, too late to leave for some people.