Caelum

What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Northern NSW is going up in flames, too late to leave for some people.

Yah, it's crazy weather today, and the weekend. Not sure where you live dude?

I just ride home to the Royal National Park from North Sydney...30 degrees at 17:00,  wind gusting between 40-50 knots. Apart from trying to stay upright in the wind, I'm also trying to didge fallen branches.

This weekend is gonna be fucking mental where I live, the tourists will want to come out and play with the vast majority knowing there is a fire ban...but unfortunately plenty who do not take any notice.

I have my fingers crossed, big time.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, twinair said:

Yah, it's crazy weather today, and the weekend. Not sure where you live dude?

I just ride home to the Royal National Park from North Sydney...30 degrees at 17:00,  wind gusting between 40-50 knots. Apart from trying to stay upright in the wind, I'm also trying to didge fallen branches.

This weekend is gonna be fucking mental where I live, the tourists will want to come out and play with the vast majority knowing there is a fire ban...but unfortunately plenty who do not take any notice.

Maybe not too bad. It's about to drop 10 degrees over night. 

yep, the chart here says it all  (note it's a dynamic link, so will change as time passes):

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/weather/wind-forecast/sydney

essentially  22c at 3:50, then up to >30c in 40 minutes and then dropped after and hour and a half  at that peak to currently 12c

that's really unusual; and the air is dusty and spotted with rain

the solar panel for the pond pump on the balcony roof was launched over the edge several metres away and was dangling on the cord (but seems intact)

the next door neighbour's car has a big dent in the rear door where their gate swung at it

it's wild !

2 hours ago, twinair said:

Stay vigilant.

Tourists do what they like till it hurts them then blame the locals for not putting bigger signs up.

you too @scruffy1 , hope it passes in quicktime

9 hours ago, chrisg said:

*Sigh* always the snarky.

Ohh pull your head in . You only called it " snarky " cos you seem pretty certain I was referring to you ... so,  you must have felt my comment was justified, hence your " got my back up " retort. 

As to your comments re Venice... think you need  to update your info big time

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

I see brexit akin to selling a house.  Depending on how urgently you want to get out, you can either get the best deal possible, or just sell it for $1 and be done with it.  No-deal brexiters sound, to me, like the kind of person who is like 'this sucks, we want out ASAP!' and sell the house for $1, and think that now they don't have a house they don't have to repay the home loan.

Yeah but, the no deal brexit thing only really became an issue when May's propositions kept being denied by the Parliament ... apparently she never seemed to find the right deal ... as to the "loan", well that's jhad a few different figures over the time too ...

I call corrupt shenanigans... but then who cares right ? ... that's just the way politics is done

Edited by eveln
your not you're

I don't know that my posts have tone, but they do depend upon facts and I'm always perfectly happy to be contradicted if there is a valid argument.

i suspect Outlaw may be about to educate me 🙂

Sorry, been out at a Poetry Slam, which I had not even heard of until last week - a lot of fun.

I don't really think so with Venice Ev, they are in a lot of trouble economically and in terms of excess tourism but by the same token pretty much living on it.

They have had quite a fight with cruise ships it is true but the more responsible lines have kept their tours progressively better and better organized, with a preference for pick up or drop-off rather than the day tripping that was indeed very big a few years beck.

It's a tight rope for them, they pretty much rely on tourists but they get too much of a good thing in season and it is at core a very delicate ecology.

I have not been there for about 18 years but my sister and her husband along with my brother and his wife spent a few days there just a few years back, off-season to a degree, their views on the place are pretty much the same as mine.

Regardless, I just do not see how the EU has caused it, they did have to assist in bailing out a couple of banks there a few years ago but that was coming whatever anyone did and not exactly news in that corner of Europe.

Venice is Venice, personally I don't like the place much at all but it has an allure that the movies have pretty much created that brings the cheap tourists and it probably always will.

It's hardly alone, you could say the same of a number of places around the Mediterranean, Santorini for example, definitely Malaga, but nowhere else has the allure of the gondolas 🙂

Cheers

13 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Maybe not too bad. It's about to drop 10 degrees over night. 

The temperature isn't so much of an issue.

The high wind and the fact everything is so damn dry, is an issue.

1 hour ago, twinair said:

The temperature isn't so much of an issue.

The high wind and the fact everything is so damn dry, is an issue.

Definitely. I'm just hoping that a temperature drop and some wind means less dick heads want to go out and do dick head things... 

10 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Definitely. I'm just hoping that a temperature drop and some wind means less dick heads want to go out and do dick head things... 

Time to dig our jumpers out of the wardrobe here as it's finally gone all Jon Snow !!

sVkoRYe.jpg

3 hours ago, eveln said:

So, how are you ^^ all getting on ?

Weather is ok. It was just a cruel taste of warm weather. Wind here was gusty but not anything too major.

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Weather is ok. It was just a cruel taste of warm weather. Wind here was gusty but not anything too major.

Okay.  Probably talk tomorrow then :)

14 hours ago, eveln said:

So, how are you ^^ all getting on ?

Windy as fuck.

No fires in the national park here.

1 hour ago, TheManFromPOST said:

My near perfect, not faded, irreplaceable, Pharaoh backglass

just slipped out of my fingers

ah damn fuck !

it took me a while to realise what that was that you dropped, and then i cursed out loud

sorry for your loss; there's lots of "precious" shit that is just crap, but part of an historical piece of pinball artistry is an irreplaceable item that degrades the rest of the machine's value immeasurably

watch out for broken glass !

9 hours ago, twinair said:

Windy as fuck.

No fires in the national park here.

Hope that is still the case tonight ... the no fires bit.

7 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

My near perfect, not faded, irreplaceable, Pharaoh backglass

just slipped out of my fingers

It's been a few hours since your post TMFP, I'm hoping that it's all cleared up without any extra blood loss. Sure, it's been a shit Sunday for you, but tomorrow is Monday that's pretty shit too ( imo )

I can just about feel the pain of that one.

Lunch - 6 wickets needed with 71 overs to get them, with 296 needed by England to win.

I can't see how we can possibly stuff this one up.

Yeah,

A pity, very similar to the unfortunate loss of the Israeli attempt.

Both countries say there are trying again though.

Cheers

😉

At least it seems to be down, it's a bit willing to say four nations have put landers on the moon - Israel's is a spatter, but they are going to try again.

I forgot the Indian mission includes an orbiter, if it has a reasonable life expectancy it might make their next attempt a little easier.

It's a bit like re-inventing the wheel though, we've as a species done this before, several times.

I'd be pretty certain Space-X could do this quite easily if it were not that Mars is Musk's obsession.

Cheers