Caelum

What's on your mind?

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before China started to grow its own commercial aviation industry. Even if they never sell a single aircraft outside of China they have an internal market more than large enough to keep a commercial aircraft manufacturer in business.

Being China though it is likely that they will in the future represent a serious challenge to Airbus, and Boeing, assuming they survive.

Cheers

China want to make their own planes but probably know their own manufacturers also have this bad habit of cost cutting by default ...

Hmm,

Maybe - they are to some degree running a big lie trying to tell us they have leap-frogged umpteen generations of fighter development to deliver an aircraft like the J-20 and claim it is stealthy - I doubt it, not with a canard design. Nonetheless that aside their aircraft do seem pretty serviceable and they are nearly independent of Russia even for engines now.

They quite deliberately and totally above board (makes a change) took on a technology transfer with GE that began over 30 years ago with first service work under supervision that grew into assembly and now independent designs.

Back at the dawn of the "Iron Rice Bowl" as they called their embracing of capitalism I was part of a group that went up there to present some papers at a conference in Guangzhou. GE were in the process of finalising the deal and announced the signing to much fanfare during the four days of the conference.

Cheers

22 year old cold case (missing person) solved thanks to Google Earth image.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/13/google-earth-helps-solve-missing-florida-man-cold-case-22-years-later/2309070001/

It took 22 years, but a missing man's remains were finally found thanks to someone who zoomed in on his former Florida neighborhood with Google satellite images and noticed a car submerged in a pond, authorities said.

Police confirmed the skeletal remains found inside the vehicle were of William Moldt, who went missing on Nov. 8, 1997 at the age of 40, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said Thursday on its Facebook page.

Sheriff's office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said Thursday that a previous resident of the Grand Isles neighborhood in Wellington was checking the neighborhood on Google Earth when he zoomed into the pond and saw what looked like a submerged car.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.625017,-80.22766,44m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

By the looks of the neighbourhood, a whole bunch of artificial waterways and probably polluted to the point where you'd never want to go into the water.

I guess the car accident might have occurred before the immediate area was developed - by the looks it's some sort of gated community and streetview coverage isn't very good.

Looks like Vodafone are cold calling people about phone upgrades because the iPhone 11 is out ...

Yeah, had my call today.

I wonder why they would think a customer who has bought four Android phones through them would switch to Apple ?  🙂

Very good news on the ozone layer but as you say not so good on CO2 accumulation.

Not sure if they are all still burning but a week or so ago there were fires in the Amazon, West Africa, Siberia, Australia and much smaller but in California - felt like the world was on fire.

Cheers

🙂

Oh I think he did flip, just in a very twisted fashion...

WOMM?

It seems pretty certain it was Iran behind the Saudi oil facilities strikes whichever way you cut it.

The question is what if anything is the U.S. going to do about it ? Especially with Iran being very vocal about it NOT being them.

Any retaliation will lead to self justification and escalation, doing nothing will just embolden them to undertake more strikes.

Tough one Mr Trump, be interesting to see how you talk your way around this "deal."

My recommendation for what it is worth:

Hit some of Iran's oil facilities, be careful not to kill anyone but take suitable revenge.

That is about as far as any retaliation can go without escalation, it's not enough, it's frustrating but if he wants to avoid war that is an option.

The only other way is near immediate "Shock and Awe" for which he is actually quite well placed although not for the invasion component. A sweeping attack on the order of El Dorado Canyon but much larger would serve the dual purpose of taking out a lot of Iran's military capability whist showing them the U.S. has had enough.

He'd certainly have the backing of Saudi, the UAE and Qatar at a minimum.

I'm not saying it is the right thing to do but it might put a stop to this stupidity before it does bog down again into yet another ME conflict.

I don't really think the Mullahs have the stomach to face the full might of the American War Machine and it might just provoke the revolt I sense building in Iran if it is done with zero collateral damage, which is achievable.

Cheers

If you want to feel more in control of your surrounds when walking / running / jogging etc. then I suggest you don't wear gadgets in your ears that restrict your sense of your surroundings

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, eveln said:

If you want to feel more in control of your surrounds when walking / running / jogging etc. then I suggest you don't wear gadgets in your ears that restrict your sense of your surroundings

or gaze unblinkingly at your i-things

or ye be made to walk the plank..... yaaaaaar !

https://theconversation.com/why-would-anyone-shiver-their-timbers-heres-how-pirate-words-arrr-preserving-old-language-121493

Edited by scruffy1

6 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

or gaze unblinkingly at your i-things

or ye be made to walk the plank..... yaaaaaar !

https://theconversation.com/why-would-anyone-shiver-their-timbers-heres-how-pirate-words-arrr-preserving-old-language-121493

When I posted above, I'd just finished reading about a young lady who felt unsafe going for her early morning constitutional. Her routine was to step out with plugs in her ears for her entertainment, but lately it bothered her, so then she had to post about it and get some company to walk with her.

Basically she just pissed me off with her stupidity 

Heh,

Last year I had to make an unexpected corner of a young girl who literally walked straight in front of me on a straight road whilst going to the pharmacy.

She literally stopped, presumably in shock, in the middle of the road as I managed, sometimes I do wonder how, to avoid her.

Then she wanted to abuse me... whilst she was standing in the middle of the road...

I did manage to get her to unplug her ear buds and point out just where she was, she did have the good grace to be embarrassed and apologise - she quite literally had no idea where she was.

An accident waiting to happen , I just hope I woke her up...

Cheers

There was a story on the news about pedestrian zombies and their phones.  Plenty of footage of near misses.

I went through the Canberra Centre shopping centre earlier (walking) - it's just as fucking bad trying to walk from A to B with these ignorant morons everywhere.

And they think they're doing a favour by stopping?  Usually when they stop to take a call, it's in a doorway or middle of somewhere that you need to traverse.

We need to follow the lead of Hawaii (I think that's who it was) - start handing out tickets to people who cross the road while using their phone.

That said though, the ones with headphones and earphones are almost as bad, and the ones who drive that way probably worse.

If you be on your own and feel unsafe , the last thing you should do is prevent your senses from being alert to the surroundings .

ffs ... That's just crazyasfuck !

Tracking an item for work

Thief Falls USA - Louisville USA - Anchorage USA (yes Alaska) - Shenzhen China - Changi Singapore - Darwin Australia

I like running with headphones while it's still dark. You can look out for headlights. But just to be sure I wear a fluro yellow shirt, bright blue shorts and fire engine red tights. 

🙂

Conjures an interesting image flip   🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I like running with headphones while it's still dark. You can look out for headlights. But just to be sure I wear a fluro yellow shirt, bright blue shorts and fire engine red tights. 

lol . moving target practice. 😜

tell you what though those leggings with the fluro strips on them work a charm at night ... I live in outer country suburbia that thankfully doesn't do lots of street lights , so seeing those fluro strips moving on the side of the road ( that is not quite wide enough ) are definitely worth the money ... what shits me tho is the dog on the lead

6 minutes ago, eveln said:

lol . moving target practice. 😜

tell you what though those leggings with the fluro strips on them work a charm at night ... I live in outer country suburbia that thankfully doesn't do lots of street lights , so seeing those fluro strips moving on the side of the road ( that is not quite wide enough ) are definitely worth the money ... what shits me tho is the dog on the lead

I have a pair with reflective strips too. I pass people with dogs but I don't have one. I used to think it would be good to get me out but now I don't think I'd like running with one. 

49 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I have a pair with reflective strips too. I pass people with dogs but I don't have one. I used to think it would be good to get me out but now I don't think I'd like running with one. 

It'd be alright if they gave the dog some fluro strips ... but noooo they let them walk / trot the road cos ya can't be too careful about what's in the grass at night