Caelum

What's on your mind?

18 hours ago, Cybes said:

See, those are very interesting, but 10-20 years old still isn't news,now is it?  The way the headline was written, however, sounds like "Wowow - we discovered alien life under the fridge!1!!"

the genuine news part is that a display is commencing at Vincennes Zoo.  it was their press release that started the proliferation of stories, and now heaps of people are hearing about the craziness of this mould for the first time.  that can only be a Good Thing™.  i only barely knew of it from a RadioLab podcast from a while back.

Edited by @~thehung

* Everybody is so engrossed in their own little universe 

* thank fuck it's Friday 

well, it was my turn to get run over on the internet superhighway

i have an existing foxtel cable, but it is not subscribed for some years, though the cable remains intact (ttbomk) and attached to rupert's external box on the wall, and thence to the living room, where i would not like the nbn to connect

it was installed via the phone conduit and thence under the lane to a pit, that foxtel's subbies created at no great expense to me (but lots for rupert) last century

we live on a laneway which has no street frontage to the nearest connection

the supervisor who arrived suggested a grandiose plan where they would somehow traverse the neighbour's yard along the boundary and then up along a shared boundary to supply a line, which sounds suspiciously like it would be an extension of the neighbour's feed

given an existing line is already available, why would he suggest not using it ?  they'd be digging around 50 metres to make a new pathway to our connection point

the day after the contracted supervisor was told no, his team returned (while we were not home for the day), and were scouting the backyard of my neighbour (between our property and the street where the line runs)  

he confronted them and asked what was happening, having had the heads up from me

they suggested it was all good, and he told them that he didn't agree, and that they had failed to even knock on the door before entering his private yard, and were thus trespassing; he also told them that he was aware that we did not agree to their proposed "solution" and thus had no consent, and that we had advised there was a foxtel line available

they left

the following day a far more useful further person came in, checked the foxtel line, replaced the ceramic connector and substituted an hfc box and removed the redundant foxtel box; it took less than an hour and my wife had nothing but praise for the professional approach of the worker

segue to today, and i receive a phone call in response to my complaint

the man i spoke to informs me he is apologising somewhat on behalf of nbn, but the actual chain of command is that the responsible company is lendlease, and their subcontractor is the initial supervisor who made the bad call

i suggest he needs to be "counselled" re his unprofessional and simply stupid suggestion to dig a trench; i ask if there is any financial imperative in the subbie getting a trench dug rather that initially simply checking the existing cable.. there's a pregnant pause and then a non-answer as to whether that may be so

i expect the contractor has to pay cable man 2 for his expertise, rather than his trench digging minions who their grunt

i am informed that nbn has a right to supply a cable unless we have written to refuse when first approached (twise actually, some months apart, in writing), and i counter that i don't believe that they can unilaterally invade a neighbour's yard without consent to supply my yard... let alone without him being inviolved and agreeing to that disruption

and that the rules state clearly that someone over 18 must be present and consent - which per his reading meant if we had accepted they were intending to try meant all negotiation thereafter was irrelevant

the next step is that lendlease will be in contact, and the contractor

i explained that i have wasted enough precious bodily fluids in pursuit of the eventually good outcome, that i wasn't interested in speaking to the contractor, as it should be his senior supervisor's task to enlighten him as to his uselessness

the cascade of responsibility means nothing useful will happen, and the whole process will happen to the next similar recipient, who may or may not be outraged and coherent enough to complain and resist

i recall it took 3 personal refusals to foxtel's people back in the day before they capitulated and dug up the street and under the road to supply a buried cable, as the contract informed me was my right if an aerial route was impossible - which the council rules backed

what does joe average who is at work when they turn up get ? whatever he comes home to discover i guess

i'm pleased to have hfc connected; i'm pretty much disenchanted with the bullshit that entailed

here's hoping the isp have better standards

On 10/21/2017 at 7:58 PM, ssar said:

Orionid meteors are visible from anywhere on Earth and can be seen anywhere across the sky, best viewed ~2am

19th Oct 2019:

The 2019 Orionid Meteor Shower peaks ~Oct21-22, worth a look ~11pm-midnight if clear over the coming nights..

Called "Orionids" because the meteors seem to fan out from a region to the north of Orion's second brightest star Betelgeuse, they are one of just a handful of known meteor showers that can be observed equally well from both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Also often referred to as the "legacy of Halley's Comet", they are tiny flecks of dust that the famous comet has left behind in space along its orbit from previous passages around the sun; we see them burn up in streaks of light as they slam into our upper atmosphere where they usually vaporize at some 100 km above Earth’s surface.

Earthsky.org webpage: https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-orionid-meteor-shower

(Info also on space.com etc.)

Looks like you get FREE asbestos with J&J talc baby powder, J&J just recalled 33000 bottles of it.

Makes you wonder about the other bottles of that stuff they send elsewhere.

Edited by Jeruselem

finally commenced the move to win10 on my desktop, having activated it a few months ago without incident despite m$ bullshitting that i would need to buy a copy to "upgrade"

so far it's less horrible than i expected, and i'll get used to it eventually

the best discovery thus far is that my trusty ancient canon scanner, the lide35 that was "obsolete" at win 7 (from winxp) is still cranking using the lide60 drivers over 8 years after i got it for $5 "because it doesn't work with windows 7"

ah, planned obsolescence that does a lazarus is always a good thing

Win 10 becomes a lot more livable with ClassicShell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - though you can say the exact same for Win 7 (IMO they got the Start Menu right with XP and have been going backwards ever since).

The annoyance about 10 is the notifications which are a royal pain in the arse and become slightly less so after tweaking settings, the spyware and upsell aspect of the whole thing, and the constant barrage of updates and unsolicited CPU hogging by what should be background processes.

I still hate the look/feel of metro and the OS in itself is inconsistent there in that some stuff is metro based and other has the legacy look.

Another gripe is that they took a whole lot of the customization away for the desktop vs older OSes.  Though actually a bunch of what I've just mentioned in fact came to be with 8.

11 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Win 10 becomes a lot more livable with ClassicShell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - though you can say the exact same for Win 7 (IMO they got the Start Menu right with XP and have been going backwards ever since).

The annoyance about 10 is the notifications which are a royal pain in the arse and become slightly less so after tweaking settings, the spyware and upsell aspect of the whole thing, and the constant barrage of updates and unsolicited CPU hogging by what should be background processes.

I still hate the look/feel of metro and the OS in itself is inconsistent there in that some stuff is metro based and other has the legacy look.

Another gripe is that they took a whole lot of the customization away for the desktop vs older OSes.  Though actually a bunch of what I've just mentioned in fact came to be with 8.

I'm used to Win10, and well don't need ClassicShell anymore. I have Windows 10 phone (actually 2) too so that was a factor.

The right click start menu was a great step forward from XP/7. Overall I find the win 10 interface quite good, especially when compared to 8. Once you customise and remove the useless stuff they prepackaged.

Hmm,

Personally I've given up on Windows, Ive been on Ubuntu for nearly two years now and do not regret it one bit.

TBH I spend the bulk of my time in a browser and if I need something "Office" related Libre is fine.

Not for everybody I know and I do think I'll have to dual boot eventually to handle the odd support call but I've no intention of going back to Windows at the moment at all.

Cheers

9 hours ago, fliptopia said:

The right click start menu was a great step forward from XP/7. Overall I find the win 10 interface quite good, especially when compared to 8. Once you customise and remove the useless stuff they prepackaged.

ha !  thanks... i didn't even know there was a right click menu, and now i'm less disappointed by win10

as a keen user of a multi-button mouse and setpoint software, most things i use in any given program are a thumb click or scroll tilt away, given each exe can be independently defined

🙂

It's Adelaide mate, I really like the place but a lot of the inhabitants are past their use-by date and a lot of those are on councils.

Cheers

I like wombats .

To all you preciousfuckingantivaxxers, I hope you all contract a big fat dose of measles  ... ffs we've now got another case of measles down in Cairns. bloody hell

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eveln said:

I like wombats .

To all you preciousfuckingantivaxxers, I hope you all contract a big fat dose of measles  ... ffs we've now got another case of measles down in Cairns. bloody hell

I'm in the #gotmeaslesasachild group

On 10/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rybags said:

I'm only really just getting used to Windows 10 now.

Been using Mac exclusively since around 2013.
New gig now and I'm on a Surface Pro...

Fuck it's painful.

We are a complete Office 365 outfit, so thinking of ditching the Surface and using my Mac again.

I'll see if I can push through the pain barrier though, as I do need to talk Windows with my customers...so figuring out the nuances of Win10 would be of help.

22 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Wonder what some skatepark designers have been basing their designs on, LOL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-22/plans-for-skate-park-design-generate-buzz-on-social-media/11625570

I saw this and I don't actually think it looks like a dick.

The internet has a lot to answer to, however.

13 hours ago, eveln said:

I like wombats .

eatliver-com-does-it-hurt-yes-go-vaccina

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Insurance is going get harder to get, and in some areas you won't be insured. Check out the maps

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-23/the-suburbs-facing-rising-insurance-costs-from-climate-risk/11624108

I live in the middle of a National Park, no insurance issues - in fact I explicitly asked my insurer "Am I covered for bushfires?"
Yes, they said. Stating that according to them I am not even in a high risk area!

Yet back in '94 we had the worst bushfires NSW has ever experienced.
Even though my insurance company says not a high risk, I take my fire plan very, very seriously.

Even got a petrol generator with a fireproof hose to suck water out of my pool...just incase.

This is what it looked like 25 years ago!

You can see my house in that footage.

Edited by twinair