Caelum

What's on your mind?

34 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

bwahahahaha...

'sif that's not the tip of the i-ceberg  (see what i did there?)

you can guarantee the consumers are almost universally ignorant of how much personal detail is hoovered by t'google - but you can bet it pales into insignificance when compared to what really personal stuff facepage must "own", or is sucked into the apple source

like windoze 10, the secret is getting into the settings and choosing your own comfort level

i am routinely set upon by people being amazed when i choose to read things before i sign them or click on the accept button- you know, contractual agreements  🙂

even with my laymen's knowledge of the 'nets I don't see how the word " personal " can be used when referring to anything that gets on the interwebs. and I have not put certain details ever on the board, nevertheless, I'm pretty sure someone can connect all the dots if they feel bored enough .

On 25/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, Jeruselem said:

Are you getting any yet ?

we've been getting damp spots for a bit now. Almost enough to turn the brown to something that resembles pale green

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

you can guarantee the consumers are almost universally ignorant of how much personal detail is hoovered by t'google - but you can bet it pales into insignificance when compared to what really personal stuff facepage must "own", or is sucked into the apple source

like windoze 10, the secret is getting into the settings and choosing your own comfort level

i am routinely set upon by people being amazed when i choose to read things before i sign them or click on the accept button- you know, contractual agreements  🙂

i dont know about 'pales into insignificance'.   for many individuals, certainly, but en masse, it could be argued that its the other way around.  it all depends what datasets you deem to be 'really personal stuff'.  sure, if youre trying to forestall the break up of your marriage to your childhood sweetheart by sending intensely personal poetry via DMs over Farcebook, for example, then stuff like that is largely opaque to Google's gaze.  but i dont think its easy to downplay the rest of what they have on most of us. 

unfortunately, compared to previous versions, windoze 10, is spyware central no matter how hard you try to harden it 😞 

amen to the contractual agreements.

• Like 1

And again, I hope all you fucking anti vaxxers get a nice hefty dose of measles for your lack of concern for the rest of the planet ... only a slight exaggeration really

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-31/samoa-shuts-pre-schools-after-three-suspected-measles-deaths/11657024

"... Samoan officials have said the deaths of two babies and one adult are believed to be linked to a measles outbreak, and have ordered all pre-schools to close in an attempt to stop the virus spreading.

It is believed the outbreak started in New Zealand before spreading to Samoa. Western Australia and Tonga have also been affected. ..."

Just looking at Sydney skyline images, looks more like Beijing with all the smoke ...

Edited by Jeruselem

14 hours ago, eveln said:

anti vaxxers [...] for the rest of the planet

" 's population" I assume.  'Cuz the planet will be just fine if this plague of naked apes goes away altogether and permanently.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

" 's population" I assume.  'Cuz the planet will be just fine if this plague of naked apes goes away altogether and permanently.

Let us hope so !! 😛

On 10/31/2019 at 8:21 PM, eveln said:

And again, I hope all you fucking anti vaxxers get a nice hefty dose of measles for your lack of concern for the rest of the planet ... only a slight exaggeration really

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-31/samoa-shuts-pre-schools-after-three-suspected-measles-deaths/11657024

"... Samoan officials have said the deaths of two babies and one adult are believed to be linked to a measles outbreak, and have ordered all pre-schools to close in an attempt to stop the virus spreading.

It is believed the outbreak started in New Zealand before spreading to Samoa. Western Australia and Tonga have also been affected. ..."

Just more conspiracy theorists, we have an abundance of them these days, these types wouldn't bother me much like in distant past decades but these days they all have a platform ....thank you Mr Internet.

These days it's how they can easily communicate with each other and spread false information that makes them a whole lot more dangerous. Whether they be anti vaxxers, or the typical David Icke followers, often they are one and the same. When governments are the boggy man it makes everything possible in their minds, scary really.

Someone told me the moon is hollow and there is a secret alien base inside and the governments are hiding this from us......err....Oooookay.

Whats on my mind?

Not much really.

The Jehovas have their church on the main drag into our nearest town, so I am assuming it was them I told to "go away"when we were getting organised to begin our day of foraging and gathering

Walt was standing in the nuddy at the kitchen bench having his caffeine fix. Me, well I had under clothes on, but fuck I was sorely tempted to let Walt go to the door.

I spied through the bedroom window, a woman with younger femmes of the teenage and lesser age group out there. So I took pity on their sensibilities and denied them a peek at the magnificence that is Walt.

I've become or am simply excelling my aptness for rude and unbecoming behaviour. And there's not a cat in sight of me.

• Haha 1

Let's dump dead horses in a water catchment area, what's the problem ... someone dumped 300 dead horses illegally. Someone at work told me there's a pet meat supplier up the road not far away ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-04/dumped-horse-carcasses-in-darwin-spark-environmental-concerns/11667256

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Sad 1

Um, do you suppose vegetarians and vegans and those protesting horse racing just now, feed their pets tinned food ?

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Let's dump dead horses in a water catchment area, what's the problem ... someone dumped 300 dead horses illegally. Someone at work told me there's a pet meat supplier up the road not far away ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-04/dumped-horse-carcasses-in-darwin-spark-environmental-concerns/11667256

That is fucking despicable and just ultimately crazy looney behaviour ! 

Edited by eveln

windoze fucking 10

so, i finally relented and put it on the htpc yesterday

some time today it decided the usb audio driver would benefit from an update, and a few hours into my listening to a rip of the cd set of "lady sings the blues" compilation, the output died mid-song

after much trouble shooting, i re-installed the "old" driver but it wasn't until i re-plugged the dac (the glorious khadas tone board) that the music returned

the instructions to tell winX to fuck off in that regard are convoluted and no doubt i will "fix" their arrangement tomorrow after some sleep

my research reveals that there are numerous sub-versions of X in play, and that some are more pro-active than others wrt updating whatever they want

what a pain in the arse

• Like 1

Sometimes it's really handy.

I've done installs on numerous 4-5 year old brand-name computers lately.  Normally you have that enormous PITA of finding the support page then downloading the drivers that usually have little in the way of documentation or even a clue of exactly what component they're for.  Not to mention reboots galore and lots of time.

With Win10 I've just let them sit there connected to the 'net, within 3/4 of an hour they've usually got every device driver needed, sometimes even getting the Synaptics touchpad and proper graphics drivers as well.

Same thing under Windows 7, you have to do it all yourself.

and when you have a bespoke driver for an eclectic device that contains a component (see above) - good-bye audio

apparently it similarly fucks up the usb connection for using a remote control transmitter as a gaming device for flight sim (in that case a taranis x9d+); i know this because it has caused severak people on another forum i frequent to spit chips, as windows "fixed" that for them unannounced also

my venerable 'puters are all sandy / ivybridge, all cranking along fine, often with hardware that was "designed" to die with winxp, but been perfect with my nerdly workarounds

win10 needs to be told what to leave unmolested at a granular level - as in a box to tick to say "this device is off limits, unless i specifically agree to, or provide, an upgrade"

I purchased Win 10 2 months ago, I removed it 1 month ago.

Back on 7 and happier, even got a stubborn security update to work that had always been a pain previously.

Edit: think I built this same PC when I was still on here 10 or 11 years ago, was when the Xeon E3110 cpu was released, only the drives, gfx card have been replaced in that time, still serves me well enough.

Edited by datafast69

win 10 works okay; my beef is when redmond thinks they are delivering what i should have, and the fact is i am quite capable of knowing the requirements to make my hardware work best for my needs

the interface is passable once i have gained some familiarity with it, but i still struggle to find the interface i need to provoke it to do what i want

Got myself a nice lump on the back of my left heel. Rock hard.  Had it 3 months. Hurts like a bastard.  Had an Xray on friday and get to see Doc Thursday coming.  Not sure what it is or how its fixed but its giving me the shits. 

AND my bloody knees.  Time to get the replacements done I think. Been holding off but struggling to get a good nights sleep. 

Getting old sucks.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, hulkster said:

Got myself a nice lump on the back of my left heel. Rock hard.  Had it 3 months. Hurts like a bastard.  Had an Xray on friday and get to see Doc Thursday coming.  Not sure what it is or how its fixed but its giving me the shits. 

AND my bloody knees.  Time to get the replacements done I think. Been holding off but struggling to get a good nights sleep. 

Getting old sucks.

Getting old does suck a bit hulkster, but you know, it's the day of fucking fascinators today. And I'm bloody glad to be old enough to not be a part of that particular freak show, and know it 😛

• Like 1

OT: i keep seeing pics of this guy.  apparently he won the Melbourne Cup, in ... 1919  2019. 

MdVFDll.jpg

old matey is 42!  makes me wonder if not verifying the ages of young jockeys is going to be the next scandal...

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

old matey is 42! 

The 6pm news on my car radio told me he'd had about fifteen previous attempts ... sorta like crossing it off his bucket list really

4 hours ago, datafast69 said:

I had to google ' fascinators ' 😎

They are hideous pieces of shite

• Like 1

4 hours ago, datafast69 said:

I had to google ' fascinators ' 😎

this is the person who introduced me to that term all those years ago

2-princess-beatrice-hats-113286923-15169

"royal with a toilet seat and ribbons" decor

• Haha 2

Rumours Deutsche bank has filed for bankrupcy, if DB goes down it will take out all connected global banks with it ... it's that big.