Caelum

What's on your mind?

39 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I got measles by accident ... young. So that chicken pox episode on South Park was based on reality ...

Some die of measles, some can devolop extra mental retardation I think. And if you had Chicken pox, you might develop Shingles as an older person. Life is truly grand

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eveln said:

give it time datafast69. and I'd say it will take waaay less time than it did in the 14th century

With the melting of the Arctic some super bug that is millions of years may have another run , I can see that 😎

Edit: and sometimes the superbug ends up there instead of originating from there.

https://www.livescience.com/64599-superbug-genes-arctic.html

Edited by datafast69

polynesians (and aboriginals) may well be genetically less "resistant" to measles

the problem is herd immunity, and the fact that vaccination is certainly not 100% effective - so if you have an outbreak and there are enough completely vulnerable hosts, the exposure of immunised people to enough contagion means ... uh oh

from the australian immunisation handbook

https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/measles

Vaccine effectiveness

Measles-containing vaccines are 90–95% effective in developed countries that have high vaccination coverage and low measles incidence.1 In Australia, the overall vaccine effectiveness is about 96% for 1 dose and 99% for 2 doses of measles-containing vaccine.67 A Cochrane review reported 1-dose vaccine effectiveness to be 95%.68 However, some studies, especially in regions such as Asia and Africa, have shown effectiveness to be lower in 1-dose recipients.69

A review by the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the pooled vaccine effectiveness estimate for dose 1 of a measles-containing vaccine administered at 4.5–9 months of age was 72%.33

so effective prevention requires limiting host opportunities for the virus, which means immunising everybody possible (and there are some contraindication - see link above; but these are not common)

7 minutes ago, eveln said:

Some die of measles, some can devolop extra mental retardation I think. And if you had Chicken pox, you might develop Shingles as an older person. Life is truly grand

subacute sclerosing panencephalitis is a rare brain involvement; it is incurable and invariably fatal (or at least it was when i was training; maybe antivirals now available can offer some treatment?)

• Like 4

In Samoa, the god-bothering anti-vacc have been active stopping vaccinations but ironically the measles have killed more than the bad vaccinations did. God obviously isn't doing much to help them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, datafast69 said:

With the melting of the Arctic some super bug that is millions of years may have another run , I can see that 😎

Edit: and sometimes the superbug ends up there instead of originating from there.

https://www.livescience.com/64599-superbug-genes-arctic.html

I'd never thought of that - sort of like taking a virulent strain of something out of the ice box - scary.

To date the "new" nasties such as Ebola and Marburg have tended, so far as we know, to have come from Africa as a side effect of opening up the jungles, something from the cold zones could well blindside us.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

I'd never thought of that - sort of like taking a virulent strain of something out of the ice box - scary.

To date the "new" nasties such as Ebola and Marburg have tended, so far as we know, to have come from Africa as a side effect of opening up the jungles, something from the cold zones could well blindside us.

Cheers

But the best one is the almost indestructible Prion.

Speculated that it came in on a shooting star!

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Cheers

What is sadder is that the destruction of these forests could also mean the destruction of natural forms of antivirals to fight these things. Things that would normally be isolated and synthesized down the track as treatments.

7 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

But the best one is the almost indestructible Prion.

Speculated that it came in on a shooting star!

A meteor?

Can't friggin help myself 😶

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

@LogicprObe On another note...how interesting this Prion is 🤔

It's my favourite thing.

It's like the shapeshifting Terminator!

• Haha 1

At Funland in Ulladulla I played a Pinball from 2013 "Metallica".  Pretty good machine.

Then have a look online once I got home and yep, it's emulated in Visual Pinball X, but sadly it seems not by anything else such as Future Pinball or The Pinball Arcade.

Sure, not as good as the real deal but better than nothing.

http://vpuniverse.com/

https://vpinball.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, datafast69 said:

@LogicprObe On another note...how interesting this Prion is 🤔

What fascinates me is that prions are infectious - which means they are the preferred shape for a protein to fold.  So, I'm wondering why in heck a sub-optimal fold became the basis for life here.  Any biochemists in the house?  Perhaps proteins need to have some lower energy state to fall to in order for life processes to function?

1 minute ago, Cybes said:

What fascinates me is that prions are infectious - which means they are the preferred shape for a protein to fold.  So, I'm wondering why in heck a sub-optimal fold became the basis for life here.  Any biochemists in the house?  Perhaps proteins need to have some lower energy state to fall to in order for life processes to function?

Life is not perfect, it can get it very wrong, for instance cancer is a byproduct of multi-cellular life.....basically a result of evolution.

We get the good, and the bad.

Viruses and other pathogens often survive by mimicking, or if you like offering themselves as being preferred by the host. It's all about survival via propagation, if they fail to do so they perish, they become extinct....life is a battle for us, for them, for all life.

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

But they're not alive....................or are they?

Here's an article trying to put a positive spin on something that could scare the bejesus  out of the general populace if Mike Moore made a documentary about it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/the-bright-side-of-prions-38210

Edited by LogicprObe

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

You can ask the same of viruses.  And in italic, underlined, super-bold when its RNA viruses.

Life got more tricks than humans got questions. 😜

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Interesting - thank you!  So, basically, life has incorporated prions to its benefit, and I was just ignorant of that.  Cool!  I like being able to fix that when it comes up. 🙂

Us and our bloodythirsty Gods ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-04/thousands-of-animals-killed-mass-animal-sacrifice-in-nepal/11764630

Someone found that Indian rover on the moon, what's left of it

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-03/indian-rocket-crash-site-seen-on-moon-chandrayaan-2/11763124

Edited by Jeruselem

Eh, so wikipedia is now throwing up big popups trying for donations, I hate popups so.....pass.

9 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Here's an article trying to put a positive spin on something that could scare the bejesus  out of the general populace if Mike Moore made a documentary about it.

https://www.the-scientist.com/features/the-bright-side-of-prions-38210

No apparent not, and interesting from the propagation angle.

Ah yeah....Mike 'Manipulate' Moore.

38 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Eh, so wikipedia is now throwing up big popups trying for donations, I hate popups so.....pass.

No apparent not, and interesting from the propagation angle.

Ah yeah....Mike 'Manipulate' Moore.

🙂

Saw him last night on some show spruiking Bernie Sanders - unfortunately more tilting at windmills.

Cheers

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eveln said:

und da heat ist On !!

Ah! you started me on a trip down musical memory lane, of course starting with Glenn Frey, but luckily I move quickly to here.

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Saw him last night on some show spruiking Bernie Sanders - unfortunately more tilting at windmills.

Cheers

He's a shocker, I never could understand folk that couldn't see his manipulative behavior, the absurd 9/11 doco was a shocker.

To be feared by windmills everywhere, as you point out 🤣

44 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Ah! you started me on a trip down musical memory lane, of course starting with Glenn Frey, but luckily I move quickly to here.

He's a shocker, I never could understand folk that couldn't see his manipulative behavior, the absurd 9/11 doco was a shocker.

To be feared by windmills everywhere, as you point out 🤣

🙂

According to Trump they cause cancer....

I didn't object to Moore back in the day of "Bowling For Columbine" he had a message - which has been persistently ignored, but since then his so-called influential power has just gone to his head, and his waistline.

Shocker doesn't really describe it.

Cheers

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

"... and his waistline "

So if Moore was more in keeping with the likes of say Macron or the Canadian PM he would be tolerated ... 

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

According to Trump they cause cancer....

I didn't object to Moore back in the day of "Bowling For Columbine" he had a message - which has been persistently ignored, but since then his so-called influential power has just gone to his head, and his waistline.

Shocker doesn't really describe it.

Cheers

I didn't have an issue with Moore at that time either, but everything that followed was excrement, turned in to a manipulative conspiracy theorist.

Trump is a Cancer 😎

dbd.jpg

1 hour ago, eveln said:

"... and his waistline "

So if Moore was more in keeping with the likes of say Macron or the Canadian PM he would be tolerated ... 

🙂

Hardly, he's just a fat slob - maybe it was the contaminated water of Flint...

Cheers

26 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Hardly, he's just a fat slob - maybe it was the contaminated water of Flint...

Cheers

Not sure about weight, but could turn him into a nutjob, impair his cognitive abilities.