Caelum

What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

hey, growl at me too if you like.

huh ? do you feel the need to be growled at ? It might work better with a RL growler maybe, perhaps ... * shrugs * ... at least it might satisfy your need more succinclty

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

but why not just acknowledge that the misinterpretation of Kimmo was all on you?

I'm pretty sure I acknowledge a desire to understand him fully with my very first two replies. so ummm not getting what you're on about here

3 hours ago, eveln said:

never mind.

Edited by eveln
wow @thehung I didn't post that . just to say how dishonest your post is @thehung ... that's the sort of thing Schiff would do

deleted

Edited by eveln
deleted

On 15/01/2020 at 9:42 PM, fliptopia said:

That's always my point to the angry mobs. What thing they made 10 years ago that they sold for $150 (and a heap of people just stole it) do they still have people they pay to keep working on for no cost to the original purchaser? And the upgrade is free still!

I've asked similar questions like "would you start a business selling something for ~$200 and support that product for 10yrs+ with no ongoing payments?" ...and i've never got an answer. Apparently it doesn't count when it affects them, but more than happy to if they can take advantage of it.

8 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Well Ubuntu upgrade from 19.04 to 19.10 ... rebooted in the middle of installation and killed the entire OS.

How can that be? I thought Windows was the only OS that dies mid-upgrade, and that Linux is the saviour of all users from the hell that is Windows 10 and will be taking over any day now... /s

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rs727 said:

How can that be? I thought Windows was the only OS that dies mid-upgrade, and that Linux is the saviour of all users from the hell that is Windows 10 and will be taking over any day now... /s

Well the crash was so bad the kernel looked like it was erased.

C'mon, we've known that stuff for years.  Haven't you ever watched Batman?

18 hours ago, rs727 said:

I've asked similar questions like "would you start a business selling something for ~$200 and support that product for 10yrs+ with no ongoing payments?" ...and i've never got an answer. Apparently it doesn't count when it affects them, but more than happy to if they can take advantage of it.

Apparently you were not alone:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/+bug/1849396

I've not had a problem "touch wood," have a feeling it is particular to certain hardware but that is unconfirmed.

Cheers

PSA

If you feel impelled to protect yourself from the sun and shit, by all means do so, but please please do it using clothing, hats, and rashies

If you don't know what a rashie is ( I didn't myself till about a year or so ago ) it's the name used to describe garments that cover your torso and limbs whilst partaking in water activities ... they might also protect you from stingers, but I'd imagine that

would only work if you were fully covered . Most people go in for a rashie top which is high round neck and long sleeve and fits down to your hips , whatever.

What these garments  can do is fully negate the use of disgusting chemical sunscreens and that most assuredly is a good thing, for you for me and for the fucking cleanliness of the swimming pool I share with you !!!!

Mein Gott ! but it's just hideos trying to have a refreshing morning dip in a pool that is still trying to filter the sunscreens used the previous day !!! 😞

Get a clue please and realise that sunscreen shit will kill you before the melanoma gets a frigging chance ! << imo. only.

So now the IMF is concerned about wealth disparity... That's pretty cute, after all those decades of enforcing neoliberal policies. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/17/head-of-imf-says-global-economy-risks-return-of-great-depression

As Piketty incontrovertibly demonstrated, since R>G, governments not in the business of at least a minimum degree of downwards wealth redistribution are in the business of upwards wealth redistribution.

Anywhere the trickle-down con is still in force, we have active upwards wealth redistribution on top of the uncorrected background vampirism. It's a rent-seeker's paradise all over. 

Decades of bleeding populaces dry, yet the obvious consequence comes as a surprise to so many... I suppose that's what you get for using a fantasy in place of an attempt to actually model reality. 

8.31pm EST and inside temp is a warmm 33.5c. They said it was gunna be a fiercely warm weekend and they weren't wrong. Course we chose today to catch up inside and out didn't we ?... well we did and we are totally done into the bargain

I spent this morning attaching a pod to roof racks in the rain and then packing said pod with stuff while it continued to rain. I assume my son's outside birthday party is what brought the wet stuff back around here. 

so win7 is no longer with us, and with it goes internet backgammon

a simple pleasure, but such a greatly entertaining waste of time - was great when the other player was good and had a sense of humour, and even funnier when they were so-so and rage quit when the flow of the game turned against them

any suggestions for online backgammon that is neither ad-infested or in a micro window ?

PMSL@ FB's Burmese to English translation of Xi Jinping: Mr Shithole

Oops 

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

so win7 is no longer with us, and with it goes internet backgammon 

a simple pleasure, but such a greatly entertaining waste of time - was great when the other player was good and had a sense of humour, and even funnier when they were so-so and rage quit when the flow of the game turned against them

any suggestions for online backgammon that is neither ad-infested or in a micro window ?

https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-games-for-windows-10-anniversary-update-and-above/

See if this works ... no I haven't downloaded that file to test

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

i was using that quite happily

they are removing the game from the interweb... as of pretty much today, completely and forever

Bastards!

(not that I've ever used it.................)

it's hard to have a casual game of backgammon round here - i used to play it quite a bit as a student and when i first moved to sydney; it's a great game of chance with skill, where clever players win maybe 55% of the time, as sometimes it's down to a lot of luck, but much of it is strategy with the numbers you throw

i used to quite like bridge and canasta too

whereas now i just kill stuff, or fly virtual (and model) things - looks like borderlands the pre-sequel will have to do as entertainment for now, having recently finished metro exodus

I quite like using tabletop simulator for board games with people who are geographically convenient. It's fairly cheap on steam and doesn't do everything for you. Much more like playing properly. Lots of mods have been made to incorporate all sorts of games and there are commercially done games too. 

Fire danger mostly over here but thanks (not) for the hail  this morning.

My car now has about 50 dings on the roof & bonnet & I've heard of at least 2 windscreens gone.  Trees shredded everywhere yet some areas went untouched.

Bad weather for 2020

Bushfires / firestorms CHECK

Cyclones CHECK

Hail CHECK

Wild storm CHECK

Drought CHECK

Flooding CHECK

Dust storms CHECK

Just leaves

Tsunamis

Volcanoes

Earthquakes

Edited by Jeruselem

Driving home, there's cars all over the place with windows gone.  Some obviously not yet discovered by their owners.

Trees shredded.

And 7+ hours after it, I've seen slabs of hail still stuck together not yet defrosted.

• Sad 1