Caelum

What's on your mind?

Bloody hail, seems to be getting more frequent, had a minor storm here just last week.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Bloody hail, seems to be getting more frequent, had a minor storm here just last week.

Cheers

Oh!

It must be global warning!

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Oh!

🙂

Climate change perhaps. We had one storm of note in 30 years, now have had three in the past four years.... That's Adelaide, Perth has had two in the past eight or so years as well. No one really remembered any there before.

Cheers

Bloody AMP stuff it up again, giving stolen money back to customers. Geez. Pay money into existing account, NO. Create a new AMP one and then get charged new fees in that. Yes creating a new account for you without your consent!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-21/amp-fees-for-no-service-scandal-cash-repaid-in-new-accounts/11883032

Edited by Jeruselem

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Bloody AMP stuff it up again, giving stolen money back to customers. Geez. Pay money into existing account, NO. Create a new AMP one and then get charged new fees in that. Yes creating a new account for you without your consent!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-21/amp-fees-for-no-service-scandal-cash-repaid-in-new-accounts/11883032

Grabs pitchfork and joins angry mob................

Well it's just like night and raining like crazy here, yes the monsoon is here.

• Like 1

I'm getting to be more and more convinced that we are experiencing a shift in the seasons.

If that does turn out to be the case then the worst of the fire season may be over - certainly hope so.

Cheers

Trojan jumped on a work PC - an ancient Windows 7 install with an outdated Symantec AV.

Will be replaced with Windows 10 Dell PC.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:51 PM, LogicprObe said:

Oh!

Totally. You know it means average temperature, right? And there's a mini ice age in store for Europe, thanks to global warming. 

Whodathunk, that a vast system ful of feedback loops might not fit the simplistic reasoning of jumped-up monkeys bent on pretending the world is how they wish it was...?

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1

A " mini ice age in store for Europe ". Sounds like they're in a for a doozy of a winter. Just as we be havin' a doozy of a summer 😉

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Totally. You know it means average temperature, right? And there's a mini ice age in store for Europe, thanks to global warming. 

Whodathunk, that a vast system ful of feedback loops might not fit the simplistic reasoning of jumped-up monkeys bent on pretending the world is how they wish it was...?

When I was at school, we were heading for an ice age by 1980!

The mammoths were still around then weren't they?

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

When I was at school, we were heading for an ice age by 1980!

You know scientist were once wholey convinced that the luminiferous ether was a real thing. They were wrong, and none of them held onto that old theory long.

The ice age hypothesis was wrong too. It was also never universally accepted in the same way as ether was, but was ceased upon by pop-sci types, of which a geat many school science teachers are - particularly in the lower grades.

If you're desperate to find 'scientists' (they're often not) being flagrently wrong, and very frequently too, look to nutritionist.

• Like 1

Ether should be reused for dark matter.  Though it'd help to have an understanding of it first, which is sort of unlikely for a while.

Food science is too agenda driven, but it's not the only one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Ether should be reused for dark matter.  Though it'd help to have an understanding of it first, which is sort of unlikely for a while.

Food science is too agenda driven, but it's not the only one.

Good point about the ether and dark matter.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

The mammoths were still around then weren't they?

Surely you've recovered from the giant hail?

18 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Surely you've recovered from the giant hail?

so, was that  previous rybags quote a mammoth fail  ?

• Like 1

WOMM: sitting here in a dim room before 4am, getting blinded by yet another web page with a huge expanse of whitespace.  Why don't broswers have a quick&dirty 'night mode' button to save your eyes?  At minimum, all you'd have to do is invert the colour palette, though I think it should be possible to do something less jarring with per-page brightness and contrast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

WOMM: sitting here in a dim room before 4am, getting blinded by yet another web page with a huge expanse of whitespace.  Why don't broswers have a quick&dirty 'night mode' button to save your eyes?  At minimum, all you'd have to do is invert the colour palette, though I think it should be possible to do something less jarring with per-page brightness and contrast.

Yes............gone are the days when most websites had black backgrounds and you could have the screen at 85 - 95% brightness.

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

f.lux for a less complete adjust

Those programs tend to just decrease overall brightness and reduce blue light level.

The problem there can be that images don't look right, I tried it for a while then got rid of it.

Funnily enough, my brightness here is at 42 and pretty OK most of the time.

3 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Or there's this <Nightlight>

Yah.  I've had a play with that before.  For my taste, it makes things way too orange.  I know they're cutting down on blue light to try not disturb people's sleep patterns, but mine are permanently disturbed anyway.  I'd prefer a dimmer grey.

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

my brightness here is at 42 and pretty OK most of the time.

45, and same.  Most of the time.  Dim room and a page of black text on white background, and I'm blinded anyway.