Caelum

What's on your mind?

10 hours ago, fliptopia said:

So we had some sort of mini cyclone through our back yard last night. That was exciting. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fliptopia said:

So we had some sort of mini cyclone through our back yard last night. That was exciting. 

Any damage done?

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Any damage done?

A house a suburb away lost it's roof. We found our outdoor chairs all over the yard and a mini greenhouse that was on the neighbor's front verandah ended up on the other side of our front yard. But I checked the roof tiles today and it is all looking pretty rosy apart from cleaning up some branches and rearranging the furniture. 

On 23/01/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jeruselem said:

This sign was seen in NSW ports, don't PANIC. I assume it's aimed at people from cruise ships.

11893194-3x4-340x453.jpg

If someone should offer you a bowl of bat soup, imo, you might politely decline the 'delicacy' 😉

23 minutes ago, eveln said:

If someone should offer you a bowl of bat soup, imo, you might politely decline the 'delicacy' 😉

Sadly we got lots of roasted koala meat as well

Air Quality Index (AQI) data - updated hourly

Alert: The Sydney CBD site (Cook and Philip) is down for scheduled maintenance. The closest ambient air quality monitoring site to the CBD is Rozelle. Please refer to Rozelle during this period.

The AQI provides a comparison of air pollutants, standardising measurements of ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, airborne particles and visibility into one easy-to-understand index.

well, sometimes anyway

looking out the window, and being unable to see beacon hill except as a ghostly silhouette, i'm guess the current air is poor quality

Air pretty good here the last week, but still there's the tossers that insist on wearing masks.

went outside, and discovered it to be misting rain

whouda thunkit ?

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Air pretty good here the last week, but still there's the tossers that insist on wearing masks.

The number of people wearing completely in effective masks or wearing them wrong is kind of funny. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

The number of people wearing completely in effective masks or wearing them wrong is kind of funny. 

They'll be able to use them for coronavirus now!

3 hours ago, Kimmo said:

I have questions. We can measure gravitational wave propagation as being lightspeed. The only way both in theory and observation to get to c is to have zero rest mass. Yet she posits massy gravitons? A force carrier not yet observed to actually exist btw - massless or not.

I am not any kind of physicist - just a an astronut. My concerns can be addressed. I'll pay more attention though when Fermilab or PBS Spacetime start talking about it, rather than a newspaper.

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

I have questions. We can measure gravitational wave propagation as being lightspeed. The only way both in theory and observation to get to c is to have zero rest mass. Yet she posits massy gravitons? A force carrier not yet observed to actually exist btw - massless or not.

I am not any kind of physicist - just a an astronut. My concerns can be addressed. I'll pay more attention though when Fermilab or PBS Spacetime start talking about it, rather than a newspaper.

Hmm,

Likewise, my physics is so out of date they must have reinvented the universe at least four times.

I've a sneaking suspicion however that "gravitons" like photons will be found to be massless but that still does not explain how in some experiments it appears to be faster, much faster than light. Gravity is a very, very strange force, we can observe it, readily, but a description is elusive.

Somewhere there it is going to descend into quantum in an attempt to find that explanation.

Nonetheless the new telescopes are going to uncover a lot of exciting new science, and new puzzles over the coming years.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Here is a paper I found for more details than a newspaper article. I've only skimmed the intro. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.4173

🙂

Think I need to finish waking up before I attempt to read that.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

in some experiments it appears to be faster, much faster than light.

I have not heard of this. Do you have a citation I can check?

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

Here is a paper I found

Thanks for the legwork, flip!

That is one dense mofo. Gonna take some serious reading and no little brain stretching.

14 minutes ago, Cybes said:

That is one dense mofo. Gonna take some serious reading and no little brain stretching.

Hence why I've only skimmed the into 😉

19 minutes ago, Cybes said:

I have not heard of this. Do you have a citation I can check?

Thanks for the legwork, flip!

🙂

Scratchy half awake brain, This is one paper which makes the suggestion of gravity being faster than light, however it also applies relativity equations to show that g=c.

https://cds.cern.ch/record/590226/files/0211140.pdf

I've read other stuff over the years  that draws conclusions both ways. Certainly using some experimental postulates you can, with some accuracy, show g=c in vacuum. However if you apply multi-dimensional theories g can be seen as exceeding c by taking a "short cut" through space-time.

It's been a while since I looked into it and as I said they keep re-inventing the universe but I rather think the short answer at the moment is that we do not know but some upcoming new tools may take us closer.

Cheers

Noticed new linux distros are dropping 32-bit versions, I'm expecting people with dinosaur machines to complain.

27 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Noticed new linux distros are dropping 32-bit versions, I'm expecting people with dinosaur machines to complain.

😉

They'll just be locked to an older distro until they upgrade.

32 bit has gone the way of all things given enough time 🙂

Cheers

" are we the baddies ?

well I'm not gonna speak for you Kimmo, but no I've definitely not done any invading, genocide, or oppressing

you know I am an A class holder of grudges. It's the one thing I reckon I do supremely well . It's also what's held all but my physical growth back

Edited by eveln