Caelum

What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

God is great.

God's goodness seems to know no bounds.

Bullshit.

God's a cunt................maybe even a fucking cunt!

7 hours ago, NZT48 said:

God is great.

God's goodness seems to know no bounds.

Because childhood cancer, muscular dystrophy, screw worms, botflies, and a whole host of other things are fecking magnificent. Right?

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 12:03 AM, Kimmo said:

18 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Here is a paper I found for more details than a newspaper article. I've only skimmed the intro. 

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.4173

Ok, so I've spent around a bit over an hour plowing through the Arxiv paper...  I'm straight up going to state that much of it is way over my head, and there were occasions that I had to go back and read something again because I realised I was a paragraph further on and hadn't absorbed a thing, but I can't see any reference to the issue I raised as even existing, let alone being a problem.  After a little extra googling (and google Scholaring), whilst there are a number of people discussing the topic, there is no mention of that 'problem'.  So, either I'm just missing the reference, or they consider it so far beneath concern as to not mention it.

I'd be interested to hear how it isn't an issue.

• Like 1

I started on it and realised fairly quickly that I was going to have to read a dozen more papers to under stand the things being referenced. So I just thought I'd let someone else check it out. 

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

Ok, so I've spent around a bit over an hour plowing through the Arxiv paper...  I'm straight up going to state that much of it is way over my head, and there were occasions that I had to go back and read something again because I realised I was a paragraph further on and hadn't absorbed a thing, but I can't see any reference to the issue I raised as even existing, let alone being a problem.  After a little extra googling (and google Scholaring), whilst there are a number of people discussing the topic, there is no mention of that 'problem'.  So, either I'm just missing the reference, or they consider it so far beneath concern as to not mention it.

I'd be interested to hear how it isn't an issue.

Yeah,

I took a look at it but the math was beyond me however same, could see no reference to gravitons being massy being an issue under relativity in placing a light speed limit.

Seems to me they are stepping away from relativity all together, which, being the General Theory was never completed I guess they can, theoretically do.

I've been thinking about it in relation to some of the wilder theories about dark matter, something about the relationship between spin and mass in quantum terms keeps tickling at the back of my brain but I can't find where I've read about it.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on at least.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Cybes said:

Because childhood cancer, muscular dystrophy, screw worms, botflies, and a whole host of other things are fecking magnificent. Right?

they're good at what the do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

they're good at what the do

Ha! True enough!

"And the Goonbag Award for silver linings goes to..."

I think Nick Kyrgios has grown up and grown as a person this summer.

I don't go much for tennis but will get into the big games and the ones with Aus representation.  Plus it's relaxing to just have it going in the background even if I'm not interested.

It was a cliffhanger 2 days ago and he missed a couple of early match points then was under threat but got up to win.

But tonight a bit of a different story.  He was #30 ranked at the start of the summer and about 23 at the start of the Australian Open.  Just went down in the Quarter final against Nadaal who is #1.

A few unforced errors that just made me scratch my head.  Some great aces (I think he led the count by about 2 to 1).  But not quite good enough to get over him.

Regardless, he's an entertainer and if he can keep it together no reason why he shouldn't advance up the ranks and take out some grand slam events in the next few years.

😉

He can be decidedly infuriating at the same time as he is producing magical tennis.

There's no shame in losing to Nadal, one of the two best of all time although I don't much care for him as a person at all.

Been a great Open thus far.

Cheers

Philippoussis was the last great hope that we had who crashed and burned after showing so much early promise but in the end becoming his own biggest obstacle.

Kyrgios looked to be going the same way until not so long ago.

Hewitt was our most recent grand slam winner, way back in 2002.  And he was a prick for most of his career, only really coming good towards the end (when his best years were well and truly behind him).

Kyrgios is certainly the big male hope, Ash Barty being the female one - that girl can be unreal.

Cheers

FIFA moved the Female Socceroos games in China to Australia for obvious reasons ... dunno why they didn't do that earlier!

Edited by Jeruselem

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

FIFA moved the Female Socceroos games in China to Australia for obvious reasons ... dunno why they didn't do that earlier!

Why bother when the Australian Government is still allowing flights in from China?

Yep, bit of a joke really.  They announce a lockdown on a city of 11 million, meanwhile the same day the last plane out heads for Aus.

Just hoping this one's overhyped like the previous big strains.  Because the quarantine measures are a joke so far.

The Socceroos thing though (or is that Jillaroos?) - was that an anti flu measure or one to ensure the correct gender is competing in each team?

It's probably too soon to say how bad this strain is but the fact it is infectious during the incubation period when no symptoms are showing is very worrying.

I've not been to that part of China but from the images it is one very dense city, as most Chinese ones are so locking it down was important but they really fumbled the ball.

Today's infection stats for all over China are probably very low-ball but quite frightening enough although most of the fatalities seem to be the elderly or the already compromised.

Cheers

it's currently not appearing to be as bad as sars, and nowhere near as bad as mers

of the reported ~3% mortality, the vast majority were aged 70 years or older - and that % is skewed by the fact that lots of minimally symptomatic but infected people aren't in the total, so it may well be it's not much different to standard influenza, which currently kills ~ 1% of it's victims

ah, pestilence... may we live in interesting (end) times

Coronavirus has put one heck of a big dent in Chinese New Year holiday extravaganza spending in Aus.

I suppose, whilst they can be a bit slow letting the news out, we have to give credit for China in reacting as well and as quickly as they did.

They really need to clamp down on the source of these outbreaks though, which will be easier said than done, a awful lot of Chinese still believe in the old ways and the batshit medicines.

It could well be just a whiff of the future though. Not so much in Australia, we don't have the population densities, but when a city can hit 14 million and barely be noticed as anything significant whilst still having dubious markets in its centre whilst, no disrespect, an awful lot of Chinese are moving out into the world and bringing some of this stuff with them it's a recipe for repeats.

So far it is tracking as a bit of a false alarm, so long as it does not mutate, but the infectious incubation period is a concern.

Dunno if anyone has seen the now old movie "Outbreak" which was very loosely based on "The Hot Zone" but the lead character in that looks at an electron microscope image  of Ebola and says "you really have to admire it, so simple, and it is beating us."

Ebola wont, not in its present form, it burns out too fast but courtesy of vector 747 this one could go around the globe. Just as well the mortality rate is so low.

Cheers

it was likely batshit that caused the outbreak, actually

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

It would not surprise me - there is a reason the rats with wings have a bad reputation.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Flying rats... that's pigeons.

🙂

That too...

Cheers

8 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

hence my warning to Jeruslem earlier about declining any offered dishes of bat soup. It is a real thing you know, bat soup. It's the whole dead bat in a bowl of thin soup.  And people eat that shit !

edit:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/wuhan-coronavirus-created-in-australian-lab-outside-of-china/11906390

looks like Aussie Science to the rescue !

Edited by eveln
for link

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/coronavirus-timeline-from-wuhan-china-to-global-crisis/11903298

So this abc article gives a supposed time line of the coronavirus becoming a thing ...

" The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated, is shuttered and put under investigation.

It will later emerge that the "wet market" sells meat alongside wildlife — some of it illegal.

The list, according to news agency AFP, includes wolf cubs, hedgehogs, civets, crocodiles, giant salamanders and peacocks, among 112 exotic items.

Media reports that "clean-up efforts" at the seafood market have been completed surface a couple of days later, with city officials saying that "no obvious human-to-human transmission had been seen and no medical staff had been infected".

In the coming days, the number of confirmed cases rises to more than 40 ..."

Edited by eveln

2 hours ago, eveln said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-29/coronavirus-timeline-from-wuhan-china-to-global-crisis/11903298

So this abc article gives a supposed time line of the coronavirus becoming a thing ...

" The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, where the virus is believed to have originated, is shuttered and put under investigation.

It will later emerge that the "wet market" sells meat alongside wildlife — some of it illegal.

The list, according to news agency AFP, includes wolf cubs, hedgehogs, civets, crocodiles, giant salamanders and peacocks, among 112 exotic items.

Media reports that "clean-up efforts" at the seafood market have been completed surface a couple of days later, with city officials saying that "no obvious human-to-human transmission had been seen and no medical staff had been infected".

In the coming days, the number of confirmed cases rises to more than 40 ..."

Chinese will eat anything that moves ... just have to look at their markets in rural areas

• Sad 1