Caelum

What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Chrisg, rejoice! SA is getting a NEW NUKE WASTE DUMP! Hurray, think of the all money SA can make.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-01/kimba-farm-eyre-peninsula-chosen-for-nuclear-dump/11920514

The Federal Government has selected a farm on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula as the site of a controversial nuclear waste dump.

Key points:

• Kimba residents voted in favour of their area being home to a nuclear waste dump
  • The Federal Government has decided to go ahead with the facility near the town
  • Local Aboriginal people lost legal action opposing the vote

They've kept it pretty quiet in the State.

Still, realistically we cannot enjoy the benefits of nuclear medicine and not expect there to be waste. Kimba is about as far from anywhere as you can realistically get and still be on a road, probably about the best option.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, chrisg said:

They've kept it pretty quiet in the State.

Still, realistically we cannot enjoy the benefits of nuclear medicine and not expect there to be waste. Kimba is about as far from anywhere as you can realistically get and still be on a road, probably about the best option.

Cheers

The locals might complain when the government tries to sneak in higher level waste though.

3 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

The locals might complain when the government tries to sneak in higher level waste though.

Good place for a giant processing facility!

15 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Aside from spent rods from Lucas Heights there isn't any high level waste in Australia and even those are not off-the-scale. I'm a bit concerned over the vagueness of just where those are going to longer term but it is an issue that will need to be addressed.

What I am somewhat bemused about is just how they intend to ship Lucas Heights waste to Kimba. By road you pretty much have to go via Port Augusta which is a declared nuclear-free zone with residents who don't mind objecting to passage of such materials. (That status may have changed but was the case until recently.)

However to reiterate we have to accept responsibility for waste from processes we need.

I'd also note that by international standards we have damn all waste at all and what we do have has in the main very short half lives. That's a big part of why Luca Heights is there, the products produced for nuclear medicine are so short-lived that importing them is difficult. It is not unusual in some cases that patients go to Sydney for tests and treatments because the products do not last long enough to be useful on the other side of the country.

It is though a bit of a bizarre game of pass-the-parcel with spent fuel rods, I don't really see why they need to go to Kimba - middle of nowhere - for "interim storage."  That suggests the government does not yet have a final resting place secured and will need discussion.

Cheers

look on the bright side, you now have corona virus as well

how very international is s.a. ?

Yeah,

It was pretty much inevitable, SA has a relatively large Chinese population and a lot of Chinese study here.

I suppose that I ought to be a little concerned being I'm STILL breathless from pneumonia but in reality I can't summon up any great worry over it.  It's a bug, not even demonstrated yet to be as bad as flu, but it is certainly getting a lot of attention.

I was routinely traveling in Asia during the SARS thing when most every national you saw was wearing a mask, never even had a sniffle. Mostly I don't even get colds.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I don't think you ever get over pneumonia.

🙂

i begin to wonder.

Cheers

5 hours ago, chrisg said:

It is though a bit of a bizarre game of pass-the-parcel with spent fuel rods, I don't really see why they need to go to Kimba - middle of nowhere - for "interim storage."  That suggests the government does not yet have a final resting place secured and will need discussion.

Cheers

I wouldn't believe them saying it's an interim solution, because it becomes permanent anyway because it's there!

17 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

i begin to wonder.

Cheers

Since I had it near 10 years ago..............any cold air like car aircon and shopping centres cause a coughing fit in me.

Funny watching the people scurry away from me today in the shops!

16 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Since I had it near 10 years ago..............any cold air like car aircon and shopping centres cause a coughing fit in me.

Now people think anyone with flu like symptoms, they might think it's coronavirus!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I wouldn't believe them saying it's an interim solution, because it becomes permanent anyway because it's there!

That's why we will need some solid guarantees, SA has had a dog in the nuke fight for a long time.

19 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I don't have a cough, I'm just short of breath, beginning to think its something to do with the BP meds my doc has me on.

Cheers

2 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I don't think you ever get over pneumonia.

i've gotten over it 3 times so far; twice requiring iv antibiotics

and that was before i was cancerous

harden the fuck up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

i've gotten over it 3 times so far; twice requiring iv antibiotics

and that was before i was cancerous

harden the fuck up

Don't worry.............I just drugged up and went to work!

(collapsed as soon as I got home everyday)

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

Don't worry.............I just drugged up and went to work!

(collapsed as soon as I got home everyday)

a regular typhoid mary

good job, contagious one

i got drugged up with antibiotics and was not very well anyway

• Like 1

Hmm,

I was on IV for three weeks - did not know it then but afterwards was told my family really wondered if I would make it.

Climbed out of that then nursed my mother to her demise - managed that quite well but ended up with a recurrence of high BP. My GP does not like Atenonol which has always worked fine for me so he has me on some mix of Apotex and Olmesartan which has me putting on weight and I suspect causing breathlessness.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason why not I want back on Atenonol - went through this two years ago in WA and my then GP finally agreed it was the best, for me.

I'm patient with my GP because overall he is great but this one we may come to blows on.

I think I'm hard enough 🙂

Cheers

36 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Trump authorised the USA to use landmines again

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51332541

*Sigh* Not a day goes by he does not reinforce his status as Fuckwit CiC...

Cheers

6 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

a regular typhoid mary

good job, contagious one

i got drugged up with antibiotics and was not very well anyway

I was on a plane with 400 add other people and another guy was coughing his guts out as well.............especially when they lower the cabin temp to try and send us off to sleep.

Sounded like a couple of frogs calling each other across the marsh.

" Phoenix lays the boot in  "

I've not heard what he said, just that he noted the continued bias ... but well,  his ire was not enough to reject his award though was it ?

Seems to me all these actors should refuse the awards en masse if they really and truly believe great talent is being overlooked for colour or what ever ...

Close all the various awards nights down till it changes ... mind you if those felt to be being prejudiced against are not that great at their trade, well what can you do ?

Edited by eveln
be

A-fecking-men!  And these points do not only apply to science, either.

Yeah,

Even such journals as Nature have been guilty of that more than once in the past few years. They used to report with caveats on credibility, sometimes they assert without reservation then have to retract later. By no means confined to science at all.

I suppose in the end it is the media moguls insatiable lust for breaking news but it is far from healthy.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Yeah,

i'm starting to query those numbers. It's been 17 years since SARS, I'd expect the detection of infection might uncover more cases sooner.

I'm all for prudence but the reaction to this virus does seem a bit OTT. Not only that but more than somewhat flawed, flying all these people out of the "hot zone" is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers