Caelum

What's on your mind?

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

Yeah,

i'm starting to query those numbers. It's been 17 years since SARS, I'd expect the detection of infection might uncover more cases sooner.

I'm all for prudence but the reaction to this virus does seem a bit OTT. Not only that but more than somewhat flawed, flying all these people out of the "hot zone" is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers

I'm just waiting for Trump to catch a flu and see what OTT happens LOL

🙂

Unfortunately I think he might be a bit like John Paul Getty, if a bug bites him the bug dies  🙂

Cheers

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

umm... sars is a coronavirus, as is mers

it's probable that 2019-nCov (catchy title) got hysterically popular too soon to give it a more media friendly sobriquet

26 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-genome-close-to-sars-originated-in-bats-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Coronavirus came from bats, 80% genetics of SARS which came from bats.

Now can we stop eating bats ...

the business insider is a bit slow to report

Lancet : Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding

Lu et al

Published:January 30, 2020 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30251-8

Findings

The ten genome sequences of 2019-nCoV obtained from the nine patients were extremely similar, exhibiting more than 99·98% sequence identity. Notably, 2019-nCoV was closely related (with 88% identity) to two bat-derived severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-like coronaviruses, bat-SL-CoVZC45 and bat-SL-CoVZXC21, collected in 2018 in Zhoushan, eastern China, but were more distant from SARS-CoV (about 79%) and MERS-CoV (about 50%). Phylogenetic analysis revealed that 2019-nCoV fell within the subgenus Sarbecovirus of the genus Betacoronavirus, with a relatively long branch length to its closest relatives bat-SL-CoVZC45 and bat-SL-CoVZXC21, and was genetically distinct from SARS-CoV. Notably, homology modelling revealed that 2019-nCoV had a similar receptor-binding domain structure to that of SARS-CoV, despite amino acid variation at some key residues.

Interpretation

2019-nCoV is sufficiently divergent from SARS-CoV to be considered a new human-infecting betacoronavirus. Although our phylogenetic analysis suggests that bats might be the original host of this virus, an animal sold at the seafood market in Wuhan might represent an intermediate host facilitating the emergence of the virus in humans. Importantly, structural analysis suggests that 2019-nCoV might be able to bind to the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 receptor in humans. The future evolution, adaptation, and spread of this virus warrant urgent investigation.

3 hours ago, eveln said:

I never started eating them. And that's not gonna change

I always thought that eating rats was not a good idea either.

3 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Yes well if the rats have fleas with a particular nasty bacteria ...

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Did you ? :P~

Why stop at rats ? 

I've been fortunate to never have to consider eating any of the rodent species. Am not really keen to try much of the 'game' poultry either ...

Basically I'm really over being adventurous with what I imbibe.

• Like 1

Kubuntu seems much faster and stable under Virtualbox than Ubuntu.

Same exactly VM settings.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/panama-fungal-disease-detected-north-queensland-banana-farm/11932314

Biosecurity Queensland officers discovered sick plants with symptoms of Panama disease tropical race 4 (TR4) during routine surveillance at a Tully Valley property in January.

Yep, Coronavirus and now Panama disease for our bananas although that area has had previous Panama.

Edited by Jeruselem

On 2/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, scruffy1 said:

umm... sars is a coronavirus, as is mers

this concise article goes into detail on the possible animal origins of coronaviruses: 2019-nCoV: Just a Stop on the Zoonotic Highway

As part of a global effort led by the United Nations, the U.S. Agency for International AID developed the PREDICT program in 2009 "to strengthen global capacity for detection and discovery of zoonotic viruses with pandemic potential. Those include coronaviruses, the family to which SARS and MERS belong; paramyxoviruses, like Nipah virus; influenza viruses; and filoviruses, like the ebolavirus."

PREDICT funding to the EcoHealth Alliance led to discovery of the likely bat origins of the Zaire ebolavirus during the 2013-2016 outbreak. And throughout the existence of PREDICT, more than 145,000 animals and people were surveyed in areas of likely zoonotic outbreaks, leading to the detection of more than "1,100 unique viruses, including zoonotic diseases of public health concern such as Bombali ebolavirus, Zaire ebolavirus, Marburg virus, and MERS- and SARS-like coronaviruses," according to PREDICT partner, the University of California, Davis.

PREDICT-2 was launched in 2014...However, in October 2019, the Trump administration cut all funding to the PREDICT program, leading to its shutdown. LOL

• Like 1

I haven't read the article but I reckon it's all down to alcohol.

What other substance can cause man to fuck or eat anything?

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I haven't read the article but I reckon it's all down to alcohol.

What other substance can cause man to fuck or eat anything?

um, Darwinism / natural selection ... if you think eating bats and rodents etc. by choice is a good thing ... just a pity a lot of randoms get contaminated along the way is all

• Like 1

Bats are only regarded as less dirty than rats because their turds usually end up well away from them thanks to gravity.

OMM... they're taking away the old version of YouTube (the webpage interface).  Don't like the new one, yet another gallop towards that annoying oversized tablet interface without regard to desktop users.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eveln said:

um, Darwinism / natural selection ... if you think eating bats and rodents etc. by choice is a good thing ... just a pity a lot of randoms get contaminated along the way is all

Allah Akbar!..................hang on............that was pigs and dogs............

I think we're onto something..........

• Like 1

Another unrelated thing - I was praising Win 10 as to how good it is with a fresh install finding the needed drivers for brand boxes and laptops.

Well, maybe a bit premature... I've got a nightmare Dell here that hanged once the driver install finished - turns out it's a known issue and you should aquire that driver (AMD graphics) from the product support page.

10 hours ago, Rybags said:

Another unrelated thing - I was praising Win 10 as to how good it is with a fresh install finding the needed drivers for brand boxes and laptops.

Well, maybe a bit premature... I've got a nightmare Dell here that hanged once the driver install finished - turns out it's a known issue and you should aquire that driver (AMD graphics) from the product support page.

I've always found needing to load AMD drivers from the web site anyway.

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Yikes, tail strike on 747 ... this one is a doozy ...

https://travelradar.aero/saudia-747f-tailstrike-in-dammam/13482/

That is incredibly rare in 747s, I do note however that it is a freighter variant, without overly speculating cargo loaded for a CofG too far aft can lead to an aircraft over-rotating.

Being it is a -400 variant I'd be very surprised if as the article states it was an early rotation, the -400 is an all glass cockpit, very tightly controlled take-off parameters.

Cheers

38 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

What is a fire?

Wiki = Fire is the rapid oxidation of a material in the exothermic chemical process of combustion, releasing heat, light, and various reaction products.

But for insurance, yeah depends of what insurer you bloody ask!

https://www.choice.com.au/money/insurance/home-and-contents/articles/fire-definitions-by-insurers

LOL. The contents melted, therefore, not burnt as such !! 😕

4 minutes ago, eveln said:

LOL. The contents melted, therefore, not burnt as such !! 😕

I think the definitions of flood are just as dodgy in insurance as well.

@Jeruselem said ... : "  I think the definitions of flood are just as dodgy in insurance as well. "

For sure they are. Up here, king tides, and the damage caused by them, during the wet season do not actually constitute a flood as such ...

Edited by eveln
Bloody phone ! I was supposed to be quoting Jeruselem's comment on flood insurance.

OMM.

a person I've known all my life is going to get a boob removed. Has decided to do that rather than chemo.

I'm sitting here thinking if it were me, why not get both boobs gone at the same time. The sheer bliss of not having to wear a bra for one is a positive.

Of course the flip side is that these days people do tend to recover quite well from the rigors of the chemo, yes ?  So um then I'm all against unnecessary cutting ...