Jump to content
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

There's a strange contradiction in the news re Foxconn, they have said that to assist they are switching production to face masks.

 

First I don't quite understand how machinery used to make electronics can easily be adapted to producing masks and second if their staff are staying away who is doing the producing ?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

There's a strange contradiction in the news re Foxconn, they have said that to assist they are switching production to face masks.

 

First I don't quite understand how machinery used to make electronics can easily be adapted to producing masks and second if their staff are staying away who is doing the producing ?

 

Cheers

 

I expect shortages of iPhones if this keeps up as Australia is low priority when it comes to getting supplied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

Not exactly going to bother me - I have precisely one iXXX , an old IPad inherited from my mother that is useful for Apple support calls.

 

My immediate family may suffer some withdrawal, they seem to be somewhat addicted to everything latest iXXX   🙂

 

I really have trouble seeing the attraction, my trusty Android (an Oppo which is very under-rated) does everything their stuff does with less fuss and for way less $$$s.

 

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

 

Not exactly going to bother me - I have precisely one iXXX , an old IPad inherited from my mother that is useful for Apple support calls.

 

My immediate family may suffer some withdrawal, they seem to be somewhat addicted to everything latest iXXX   🙂

 

I really have trouble seeing the attraction, my trusty Android (an Oppo which is very under-rated) does everything their stuff does with less fuss and for way less $$$s.

 

Cheers

 

 

The issue is repairs, the way Australian telcos repair iPhones and iPads under warranty... isn't repairing them, they just replace them with another unit.

For those old dodgy out-of-warranty products, getting parts for repairers from China is going be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fairly common way to "repair" to be honest.

 

I had a nice Gateway laptop some years ago whose screen backlight failed, could have fixed it myself but it was under warranty so I pulled the drive for safe keeping and gave it to the service agent. Next day after confirming the screen was dead they just gave me a new one. Took me longer swapping the drives around than it would have to replace a screen. Plus it's non-trivial to drop a drive into a different machine if you want to boot from it 🙂

 

If this iPad dies I don't really care much but I take your point.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMM.

lobular cancer. If you see it early enough, ya don't feel sick, ya don't have any symptoms, you're basically fit as ... but you can still organise to have things cut off and reconstructive surgery etc. etc. etc. it's all doing a bit of a number in my head. Can't think how I'd deal if it were my imminent future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PMSL Tango & Cash (1989) with the attempted escape.  2 big ventilation fans, one running at a speed which would chop you to bits, the other inactive.

Little did they know that less than 10 years later it'd become a staple of FPS games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

about now I'd like to have an air-con at home ... February is keeping up with it's usual intensity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine gets a workout... I don't much like it over 24 inside.

 

Stupid LG washing machine... it's got the 4 water levels rather than the infinite knob setting method.  The High is barely at 2/3rds and the M/L settings are a joke as well, so you almost always need to use the one above what you think you'd need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Mine gets a workout... I don't much like it over 24 inside.

By the middle to end of March I'll wonder how I could winge  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Mine gets a workout... I don't much like it over 24 inside.

 

Stupid LG washing machine... it's got the 4 water levels rather than the infinite knob setting method.  The High is barely at 2/3rds and the M/L settings are a joke as well, so you almost always need to use the one above what you think you'd need.

 

i cannot believe why people need it so fucking chilled, unless they are in a full suit and tie, and then that's just stupid choice of clothing

 

here when it gets fiercely hot, 27 or 28c dehumidified is fine using aircon

 

no wonder the planet is getting warmer - all that excess heat from the a.c. gets sent out into the heat to add to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I whack 'em on 22 in the afternoon sun when the solar is peaking and them ease them up to 24 when they're running on coal and they've cut the humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you can't survive 25 0r 26c dehumidified (which saves a lot of power), you need to take a dose of concrete

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

if you can't survive 25 0r 26c dehumidified (which saves a lot of power), you need to take a dose of concrete

 

Old people have problems regulating their body temperature................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm old people

 

and chemo certainly fucked up my thermostat

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like TPG-Vodafone merger in Australia got the go-ahead.

Since I'm a customer of both, I might get one instead of two bills per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm old people

 

and chemo certainly fucked up my thermostat

I've not been through chemo, just menopause 😞 ... Right now at home I'd be pretty bloody happy with an inside temp of 28℃ thankyouverymuchly

Edited by eveln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Looks like TPG-Vodafone merger in Australia got the go-ahead.

Since I'm a customer of both, I might get one instead of two bills per month.

🙂

 

You might, but equally might not.

 

 I'm a customer of iiNet and Vodaphone, going to be, perhaps pleasantly, surprised if they merge the bills.

 

Either way nothing will change quickly.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×