Caelum

What's on your mind?

11 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

You might, but equally might not.

I'm a customer of iiNet and Vodaphone, going to be, perhaps pleasantly, surprised if they merge the bills.

Either way nothing will change quickly.

Cheers

It would be funny if iiNet send me advertising about Vodafone phone services and Vodafone send me advertising about their NBN bundles.

2 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

It would be funny if iiNet send me advertising about Vodafone phone services and Vodafone send me advertising about their NBN bundles.

🙂

On the other hand it would not surprise me  🙂

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

QANTAS/Jetstar axe flights to Darwin. How about QANTAS change their name to QAAS now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-24/qantas-and-jetstar-axe-darwin-flights/10744002

Flights to Darwin have always been crazily expensive and although airport fees are somewhat high, especially given the services, that does not justify the cost.

When I can fly right past Darwin to Bali for dramatically less dollars it makes justifying a Darwin Holiday difficult.

Darwin is not alone however, the same rorts go on with flights to Broome and Esperance for example.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Flights to Darwin have always been crazily expensive and although airport fees are somewhat high, especially given the services, that does not justify the cost.

When I can fly right past Darwin to Bali for dramatically less dollars it makes justifying a Darwin Holiday difficult.

Darwin is not alone however, the same rorts go on with flights to Broome and Esperance for example.

Cheers

Only real thing keeping Darwin viable is they need people up here to justify putting military assets here to keep out the northern neighbours.

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

Only real thing keeping Darwin viable is they need people up here to justify putting military assets here to keep out the northern neighbours.

🙂

Nothing much has changed, but tourism, if the fares made more sense, would be perfectly viable.

Cheers

bondi cigars for the westies

"we kept on swimming undeterred"

Score!  (maybe) - got given a couple of computers to dispose of.

FIrst one has an Ivy Bridge 3770K, and factory liquid cooling (funny for a HP).

I suspect the graphics card is probably a GeForce 750 or similar.

Second one also an i7, I suspect probably a first generation from around 2009/10 (has a Win7 sticker, the first Win8)

• Like 2

6.56pm and it's 34 C. inside.... I haven't had a hot shower since before xmas ... mind you, the cold water is pretty bloody tepid

This thing's not bad - 16 Gig DDR3 as 2x8 - nice, they're hard to get now.  Graphics is just a GF 660.

Frigged about for about an hour and thought the SATA controller was fucked but turns out the drive I was trying to use has some sort of connectivity issue so put another one in.

Next up is try some benches.

Only just realised it's Valentine's Day... I always think of @Juggalo Scrub and @CheekyChops . Probably cos we had a bit of a, um, a discussion about gifts and shit...lol...

anyway, just in case there are any here still lurking who 'do' the day, hope you got yours !

#2 is an i7-2600 with 8 Gig Ram.

2 mechanical drives as well.  A 3TB which is a bit sick, probably over 8 years old, and a 1.5 TB which seems a bit healthier.

Wait on hold for almost 40 minutes, get an answer just before I decided to terminate the call.

Then push the end call key instead of the speaker key... fark!

I pulled an i5 7400 out of a water damaged pc (it was unaffected) today. Now to find a mini itx board for it. 

Nice... I've also discovered both these things have BluRay writable drives.  Had to look up on the tech, it's somewhat expanded over what was initially released.  Though I doubt it's cost competitive with HDDs, and I'd not trust such a huge chunk of data to optical media anyway.

• Like 1

They had to do something to compete with The Cloud.

I think most people have succumbed now...............even me!...............for some stuff.

10 hours ago, eveln said:

Only just realised it's Valentine's Day... I always think of @Juggalo Scrub and @CheekyChops . Probably cos we had a bit of a, um, a discussion about gifts and shit...lol...

anyway, just in case there are any here still lurking who 'do' the day, hope you got yours !

They'll be over on FB probably..................I'll link it up if I don't get too smashed!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Nice... I've also discovered both these things have BluRay writable drives.  Had to look up on the tech, it's somewhat expanded over what was initially released.  Though I doubt it's cost competitive with HDDs, and I'd not trust such a huge chunk of data to optical media anyway.

I don't see why you qould use it for data storage these days. If you want to share 1080 video to other people it may have its uses. 

Yeah... a quick look on eBay sees you getting a bit over 10 Gig per $ storage (just over $5 for a 50 Gig writable if buying bulk packs)

Compared to a typical 3 TB drive at $124 that's almost 2.5 times the cost.

Then consider the space they take in storage which is in the order of 15 times.

I avoid 2.5s - they're unreliable and even worse once you go above 1 TB.

Edited by Rybags

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

I avoid 2.5s - they're unreliable and even worse once you go above 1 TB.

I'm guessing more than two platters in a cheap domestic grade spinning drive is the issue.

2TB drives have 4 platters (we pulled a drive apart at work).