Jump to content
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

 

You might, but equally might not.

 

 I'm a customer of iiNet and Vodaphone, going to be, perhaps pleasantly, surprised if they merge the bills.

 

Either way nothing will change quickly.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

It would be funny if iiNet send me advertising about Vodafone phone services and Vodafone send me advertising about their NBN bundles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

 

It would be funny if iiNet send me advertising about Vodafone phone services and Vodafone send me advertising about their NBN bundles.

 

 

🙂

 

On the other hand it would not surprise me  🙂

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

QANTAS/Jetstar axe flights to Darwin. How about QANTAS change their name to QAAS now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-24/qantas-and-jetstar-axe-darwin-flights/10744002

 

Flights to Darwin have always been crazily expensive and although airport fees are somewhat high, especially given the services, that does not justify the cost.

 

When I can fly right past Darwin to Bali for dramatically less dollars it makes justifying a Darwin Holiday difficult.

 

Darwin is not alone however, the same rorts go on with flights to Broome and Esperance for example.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chrisg said:

 

Flights to Darwin have always been crazily expensive and although airport fees are somewhat high, especially given the services, that does not justify the cost.

 

When I can fly right past Darwin to Bali for dramatically less dollars it makes justifying a Darwin Holiday difficult.

 

Darwin is not alone however, the same rorts go on with flights to Broome and Esperance for example.

 

Cheers

 

Only real thing keeping Darwin viable is they need people up here to justify putting military assets here to keep out the northern neighbours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

 

Only real thing keeping Darwin viable is they need people up here to justify putting military assets here to keep out the northern neighbours.

 

🙂

 

Nothing much has changed, but tourism, if the fares made more sense, would be perfectly viable.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bondi cigars for the westies

 

"we kept on swimming undeterred"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Score!  (maybe) - got given a couple of computers to dispose of.

FIrst one has an Ivy Bridge 3770K, and factory liquid cooling (funny for a HP).

I suspect the graphics card is probably a GeForce 750 or similar.

 

Second one also an i7, I suspect probably a first generation from around 2009/10 (has a Win7 sticker, the first Win8)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.56pm and it's 34 C. inside.... I haven't had a hot shower since before xmas ... mind you, the cold water is pretty bloody tepid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing's not bad - 16 Gig DDR3 as 2x8 - nice, they're hard to get now.  Graphics is just a GF 660.

Frigged about for about an hour and thought the SATA controller was fucked but turns out the drive I was trying to use has some sort of connectivity issue so put another one in.

Next up is try some benches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only just realised it's Valentine's Day... I always think of @Juggalo Scrub and @CheekyChops . Probably cos we had a bit of a, um, a discussion about gifts and shit...lol...

anyway, just in case there are any here still lurking who 'do' the day, hope you got yours !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#2 is an i7-2600 with 8 Gig Ram.

 

2 mechanical drives as well.  A 3TB which is a bit sick, probably over 8 years old, and a 1.5 TB which seems a bit healthier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait on hold for almost 40 minutes, get an answer just before I decided to terminate the call.

Then push the end call key instead of the speaker key... fark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled an i5 7400 out of a water damaged pc (it was unaffected) today. Now to find a mini itx board for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice... I've also discovered both these things have BluRay writable drives.  Had to look up on the tech, it's somewhat expanded over what was initially released.  Though I doubt it's cost competitive with HDDs, and I'd not trust such a huge chunk of data to optical media anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They had to do something to compete with The Cloud.

I think most people have succumbed now...............even me!...............for some stuff.

10 hours ago, eveln said:

Only just realised it's Valentine's Day... I always think of @Juggalo Scrub and @CheekyChops . Probably cos we had a bit of a, um, a discussion about gifts and shit...lol...

anyway, just in case there are any here still lurking who 'do' the day, hope you got yours !

 

They'll be over on FB probably..................I'll link it up if I don't get too smashed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Nice... I've also discovered both these things have BluRay writable drives.  Had to look up on the tech, it's somewhat expanded over what was initially released.  Though I doubt it's cost competitive with HDDs, and I'd not trust such a huge chunk of data to optical media anyway.

 

I don't see why you qould use it for data storage these days. If you want to share 1080 video to other people it may have its uses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... a quick look on eBay sees you getting a bit over 10 Gig per $ storage (just over $5 for a 50 Gig writable if buying bulk packs)

 

Compared to a typical 3 TB drive at $124 that's almost 2.5 times the cost.

Then consider the space they take in storage which is in the order of 15 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid 2.5s - they're unreliable and even worse once you go above 1 TB.

Edited by Rybags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rybags said:

I avoid 2.5s - they're unreliable and even worse once you go above 1 TB.

 

I'm guessing more than two platters in a cheap domestic grade spinning drive is the issue.

2TB drives have 4 platters (we pulled a drive apart at work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×