Caelum

What's on your mind?

Multiple platters is normal when a bigger size first starts.  But later it reduces.

There's 4 TB 2.5" now so they'd be 2, likely some 2 TB  ones would be down to 1 platter.

The problem is they've become consumer items like anything else and they cut corners and give them a design life of a few years.

am not sure, but I think I just created my own wee historical moment ... I made a post in "  building and troubleshooting " ...never been there before I don't think

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eveln said:

am not sure, but I think I just created my own wee historical moment ... I made a post in "  building and troubleshooting " ...never been there before I don't think

There's a first time for everything!

I think the box is the only place I post lol, I think the green room maybe 5 times 🙂    Glad you did, enjoy your rig!!!!!

i had to find it by the circuitous route of looking up waltish's recent posts after i found the "building and troubleshooting" threads

i an a bit keen on ryzen, as the old box is getting cranky with me after years of gentle abuse - about a decade now, i think

What's the old machine?  From memory I think you've got a GTX 960 same as me?  And the rest is kinda ancient.

2 hours ago, gamble said:

I think the box is the only place I post lol, I think the green room maybe 5 times 🙂    Glad you did, enjoy your rig!!!!!

thanks. it's bloody marvelous even just using the CCleaner ... it's like hey-presto ! . magic !

CCleaner... *shudders*

It was good when it was a turnkey on-demand thing that went away after you selected what you wanted it to do.

Now it's an ever present sentinal "helper program" which is just as pesky as most of the other ones.

The fact of the matter is these things chew resources and save you bugger-all.

Who gives a crap if you've got 3.5 Gig of temporary internet files?  Only people with a 128 Gig system drive that keeps filling up.

My advice to people is just run a decent AV (ie not Nortons), don't use the MS browsers, run adblockers if you want.

And don't install any of that rubbish helper/cleanup software.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

i had to find it by the circuitous route of looking up waltish's recent posts after i found the "building and troubleshooting" threads

Ohh, but it was the most recent thread ...came to the top of my page when I went to " building and troubleshooting "

25 minutes ago, Rybags said:

What's the old machine?  From memory I think you've got a GTX 960 same as me?  And the rest is kinda ancient.

i7 2600k @ 4ghz  16 gig of ddr3 and a gtx1060

but it's a bit flaky these days - which i suspect is the mobo being a decade into it

13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Now it's an ever present sentinal "helper program" which is just as pesky as most of the other ones.

Only if you leave it turned on that way in the settings (I never do) 

I just gave my brother the 2600 (non-K) that I scored.

They're not too shabby.  And the top end Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPUs still stand up to modern day midrange stuff.

• Like 1

I was unaware this place is a " left leaning community ". Sure there are those of that bent here, but from what I've experienced, there's a bit of a mix and in my most humble opinion, that is as it should be.

After all, this is the chat room of a forum about everything technical and fun in the world of 'puters.

All political persuasions should be discussed as various laws intimately affect this net world we live in.

Edited by eveln
Replace "forum" for "community"

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

More aussies get a two week holiday in the NT, thanks COVID-19 !!!

Sounds like the sort of thing that would have chrisg me and scuffy joining Osama Bin Athlon!

Bit of a shock and like it says, kissing 25% of the market goodbye if they don't even bother engineering RHD variants.

Though I doubt they have much presence in India, and Japan would be Suzuki which I think they still have a stake in, and probably a few Daewoos.  I guess take those 2 out and the remainder is like 10% of the global market or less.

Badge engineering costs SFA really if it's a near identical car with only the compliance plate and stickers/badged being different, so it would be surprising if they pulled out completely.

Likely we might get the Euro scenerio where Chev is the cheap junk and Opel is the premium brand.

Thinking about Tool tomorrow night. Can't wait. 

That and my dad marrying a woman about my age that he met about 2 months ago. The wedding being set for next month on my brother's birthday after my mum passed away in May last year. But it's all OK because he prayed about it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 months ago.  That's a WTF right there.  Understandable for someone "young & stupid" (sort of) but for anyone with the life experience of being over about 35, I dunno.

But I guess for anyone over 45, hooking up with someone a generation younger might have you getting that commitment from them before they change their mind.

I guess on the other hand if you know your days are numbered then move quickly, though 69 isn't as old as it used to be.

4 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Sounds like the sort of thing that would have chrisg me and scuffy joining Osama Bin Athlon!

Um no, staying well away from this virus thanks - I do not want any more breathlessness than I already have...

Cheers