Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

36 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

More on that air crash in Melbourne

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-20/mangalore-plane-crash-victims-mourned-by-flying-clubs/11982842

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau's (ATSB) Nat Nagy said the "full sequence of events" was not yet fully understood, but the planes were at around 4,000 feet when they collided.

He said the Beechcraft plane Mr Segev and Mr Phillips were on was descending when it collided with a Piper PA44 Seminole model plane, which was climbing after it had taken off from the airfield.

Very peculiar, not to say tragic.

If I'm reading it right there were three instructors in the air, two on descent, with one possibly under the hood for IFR training/refresh and one climbing with a student, possibly passing through cloud.

The descending aircraft would probably not have been able to see the climbing one and the climbing one could have had a distracted instructor tutoring, possibly passing through cloud.

It really does sound like all the holes lined up but no mention of radar. I don't recall if that airfield has any, only been there once but being it is an instruction field of some repute I'd expect so.

Each way bet the radar was down for some reason.

Very, very nasty.

Cheers

Yes if both were on visual and no radar, and it was rather cloudy ... just damn bad luck.

Could be, the implication, which may be wrong, is that the CFI was conducting refresh training in IFR on the other instructor. As such he may have been under the hood so one less set of eyes or they may have cancelled IFR in the descent.

Either way as the aircraft in the descent they would have been the lesser likely one to see a potential for collision being in a low wing aircraft.

Radar, if operational, would or should have spotted the conflict, hence why I suspect it may have been down, which happens.

Cheers

Last night saw some footage of that 200 car pile up in Canada.

Some well placed bod was filming the trucks travelling waaaay to close together, and simply not being able to brake in time.

This morning we had our version of a white out on the highway. With last night's viewing in mind I was a goodly distance behind the car in front. Once through the grey out, I was shocked to see I had a car up my arse, no headlights, and seeming to want to overtake.

Traffic continually approaching from the opposite direction stopped the overtake action.

Seriously, What The Fuck is wrong with people ?

eBAY's new fangled credit card payment system doesn't put foreign exchange conversion in the invoice, just amount in the original currency.

So if you need to know the exchange rate used, stick to using PayPal's processing system.

Edited by Jeruselem

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

eBAY's new fangled credit card payment system doesn't put foreign exchange conversion in the invoice, just amount in the original currency.

So if you need to know the exchange rate used, stick to using PayPal's processing system.

or better still, get a 28degrees card and use that to pay ebay via paypal, and then you get the exchange rate of mastercard rather than the paypal "rate" which is usually a good 4% more every time

i always buy o.s. stuff in greenbacks if possible - best prices

the daily (momentary) exchange rate for mastercard is online

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

their bank fee is zero

Edited by scruffy1

Absolutely bucketing rain on friday afternoon before work finishes, typical.

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Absolutely bucketing rain on friday afternoon before work finishes, typical.

Lurvly stuff isn't it ? We're having a bout of some too. I'm hoping it goes through the entire weekend. Makes for great sleeping weather imo.

• Like 1

Not surprising, in a Global Village even a sniffle causes the jitters.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Rybags said:

well, there's keeping people gainfully employed cleaning up after you, then there's trashing the place like self entitled twats .

another slow news moment ?... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-26/indonesian-child-rights-commissioner-warns-of-pool-pregnancies/11995768

" A child rights commissioner in Indonesia who told women and girls they risked becoming pregnant if they swam in the same pool as men has so far resisted calls for her sacking.

" Pool water, she suggested, could act as a medium for sperm — apparently regardless of any chlorine content or the fact most swimmers wore clothes.

"There are certain types of sperm that are very strong. Even without penetration a woman can get pregnant," Ms Hikmawatty said."

23 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I wonder if that was an explanation given to her for a mystery pregnancy.... 

or perhaps how she explained her offspring to her conservative parents

So, it begs the question, or rather answers it perhaps, that the lady would not be happy with trans females sharing the pool either ... That's another lot of discrimination going on 

I'm guessing she's a religious conservative which failed at basic science.

JB Hi fi

Arm-based laptop Galaxy Book S = $1,699 (Snapdragon 8cx SOC, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, 4G LTE)

11" iPad Pro = $1449

Nitro 5 Gaming notebook (Ryzen5 3550H with Vega 8 iGPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) = $1697

Is it me or these ARM-based systems rather overpriced for what specs you get?

Edited by Jeruselem

I'd definitely agree with the ipad pro when you have to get a pen and keyboard on top of that for the same functionality as the Galaxy Book. The Galaxy Book seems reasonably inline with what you get with phone etc and has a nice integrated pen. But then I don't think it has a killer camera or anything like that which you do get in a flagship phone at that price. Also a 1080 screen seems a bit low at that price range with ARM.

10 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I'd definitely agree with the ipad pro when you have to get a pen and keyboard on top of that for the same functionality as the Galaxy Book. The Galaxy Book seems reasonably inline with what you get with phone etc and has a nice integrated pen. But then I don't think it has a killer camera or anything like that which you do get in a flagship phone at that price. Also a 1080 screen seems a bit low at that price range with ARM.

Apple are planning their own ARM-based Macbooks which should have the Bionic processors they make, but then they'd have to put in x86-64 emulator on that to run the previous apps not ported to ARM.

Those will cost a frigging fortune.

Edited by Jeruselem