Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

🙂

Now those I recognise.

In the UK we had rather limited choices and long dark winters, I watched more TV then.

What always amused me was that my mother objected to all of us kids ever watching such shows. Just how the silly women knew they were not suitable for her children's consumption when she never actually watched them herself was one of many mysteries that led the family to not telling her that much of what we were doing in general.

Cheers

It's interesting, as phones last longer the first part that often wears out, if you don't break it, is typically the charging port.

My brother for example has a two year old iPhone, working fine and no need to upgrade but the charging port is stuffed, so he's bought an induction charging pad.

Those things are so cheap now might as well pack one in with a new phone.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

It's interesting, as phones last longer the first part that often wears out, if you don't break it, is typically the charging port.

My brother for example has a two year old iPhone, working fine and no need to upgrade but the charging port is stuffed, so he's bought an induction charging pad.

Those things are so cheap now might as well pack one in with a new phone.

Cheers

The challenge is to protect the phone which is now a glass brick, you buy a cover which ... adds space between the inductions coils in the phone and the charging pad.

You can't put metal in the back casing as it interferes with that.

I'd have thought the lightning port should be more durable than microUSB.

It's a fragile and sort of shonky design.  Real easy for the male plugs to stop working but at least cables are cheap.  I've got a couple of devices where the onboard port is dodgy, bought some Nexus 7 charge boards in anticipation of them failing.

Hmm,

I have a sort of "skeleton" cover on my Oppo that is transparent, it doesn't seem to restrict induction charging although I don't have one myslef, have used other people's a couple of times.

However Oppo do seem to be a bit ahead of the game on induction charging so maybe that is the reason.

I don't really know much about the lightning port Ry, suffice to say my brother is a painter and decorator and has hands like bunches of bananas so that may have something to do with it  🙂

Seriously he is renowned in the family for his accident-prone often clumsiness, just in this week he has broken a pair of glasses, lost and then found his sunnies, and lost a hat - he's only been here a week for the Fringe 🙂  It amazes me he keeps a 'phone in one piece long enough to wear out the charging port 🙂

Cheers

24-30 for the next week and the humidity to go with it... no thanks.

Best weather of the year coming up here... mid 20s days and 10-15 at nights.

Except... there's probably only 2 weeks worth of swimming weather left.  The local pool closes on Tuesday.

Last year my last river swim was 5 minutes in the Murrumbidgee (Pine Island) on the day of the Equinox.  This year it might go a few days beyond then but I doubt it.

I'm surprised we actually have storage here for 54 days, I'd have thought it might have been more like 30.

But still the sad fact is we have no refineries.  So any war situation would see us screwed.

Yeah,

Wonderful decision to close the refineries...

Cheers

Opportunity for an enterprising Government, I reckon.

They could look at starting a bank as well.

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

I'm surprised we actually have storage here for 54 days, I'd have thought it might have been more like 30.

But still the sad fact is we have no refineries.  So any war situation would see us screwed.

We're actually supposed to be storing 90 days ...

Weird, I'm using the eBAY credit purchasing option instead of PayPal directly (but it does actually use PayPal as the processor anyway).

All the overseas sellers automatically generate an invoice I can download but two Australian sellers so far don't.

Don't know why.

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

it's pouring rain here

here too tonight. thunder and stuff has skirted around the area just out of harm to us, and giving a nice healthy rainfalling.   going to be great for sleeping

NK fired another missile but no one cares really because of some virus

Yeah,

When they admit that 180 soldiers have died you have to wonder just what the real death toll is.

Apart from Kim the whole bloody country is borderline mal-nutrition which doesn't help with having a robust immune system.

Cheers

Reminds me... the latest brilliant idea is to use electric car's batteries in home situations to supplement power during peak periods and "save money".

I should think not - like any battery they have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles until they die and saving a few bucks a week at the expense of probably halving the car battery life?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Reminds me... the latest brilliant idea is to use electric car's batteries in home situations to supplement power during peak periods and "save money".

I should think not - like any battery they have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles until they die and saving a few bucks a week at the expense of probably halving the car battery life?

😉

How does that save money anyway ?

You pay to charge the car batteries and no conversion is ever perfect so more losses ie. it cost you more to run off your car - brilliant - not.

Cheers

Better off using excess power to heat water or something if you haven't got a bunch of lithium batteries.

The saving aspect is that you charge using off-peak then use some of the energy during peak time which also lightens the load on the grid (and assuming by breakfast time most solar panels are producing something).

On paper sounds great but the reality, like I said - False economy in a big way.

Heh,

"Off- Peak" in SA is not exactly something to get excited over but in any event that's just a structured way of looking at it, could need power because of a blackout at any time but you'll never save money doing it, not short or long term.

Cheers