Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

What's on your mind?

Yeah, it used to be that you'd pay a fraction for off-peak which was great for hot water with the dedicated element.

But now it's smart meters and they just skew all the rates so you get ripped off in the peak 4-5 hours of the day and don't save much during quiet times.

Additional to that, the more people who use off-peak turns it into a normal period anyway with the rate hike to match.

It was being said a few days ago that we should be in for some price drops in the next year or two but I'll believe it if I see it.

I guess at least being in the ACT we did have some good rates negotiated for a while but my bill has jumped from an average of about $320 a quarter by a hundred and this year a bit more.

• Like 1

Hmm,

Drove mine down to $227 in the latest quarter, compared to over $700 in the first quarter here - never believe those oil filled radiators are cheap to run, they aren't.

I suppose it will go up again with heating this winter but not with the oil fired rip-off. The theory was that no moving parts made it cheaper but they still chew watts and not very effectively in a single brick dwelling.

I won't be here by then anyway, but looking for a more energy efficient place.

Cheers

I used to have an oil filled - they're OK to take the nip off the cold and are best in a not too big enclosed area.  But if you open a door and allow a cold blast in you're back to square one.

Something I need to look at is the computer - I just leave it on all the time although it only uses about 65 Watts idle including the monitor but that adds up to probably 50 cents a day considering busier time - and I generally turn the monitor on and leave it on all day too whether I'm here or not.

I'm sort of tempted to use my Win8 Pendo tablet as a torrent box, then the main machine can just be shut down when I'm not here.

🙂

I use a laptop, rarely off, around 25 watts or less at idle.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Must remind myself to reformat large USB drives to exFAT because I can't put files larger than 4GB on them.

Edited by Jeruselem

"Diblings" a word I learnt today.

omm...

In amongst all the viral virus distraction, Pell's final appeal is going on. Lord but I hope it's denied.

1 hour ago, eveln said:

omm...

In amongst all the viral virus distraction, Pell's final appeal is going on. Lord but I hope it's denied.

The news is full of news about something else and no one cares about him.

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

The news is full of news about something else and no one cares about him.

Well I care that he stays and does the time

17 minutes ago, eveln said:

Well I care that he stays and does the time

"Dies in prison" you mean, since "the time" should be around a century. 😜

1 minute ago, Cybes said:

Just get someone to cough on him, heart attack will happen.

3 minutes ago, Cybes said:

That wasn't his sentence, more's the pity. But given the current state of things, Jeruselem's post might be on the money

Caution:  Firefox 74.0.

I just allowed the update through and it fucked me over and NFI why.  My TreeStyle Tabs extension stopped rendering properly and the tab bar was blank.

So, download and install 73.0 and guess what?  They no longer allow you to roll back and use the existing profile which means you lose all your settings, bookmarks, extensions and themes.

Fucking great!  Luckily a Windows Update had just gone through minutes before that created a restore point which acted as a saviour.

I don't allow FF auto updates but usually just click the notification through and have had little drama since Quantum came out a while back... except for this shit.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Caution:  Firefox 74.0.

Well, that should be interesting, then. My Quantum is on autoupdate, and my Windows just updated on shutdown.

Posted (edited)

The Windows update isn't really relevant, but was convenient for me as it created the restore point that I could roll back to.

Every chance it might just be changes that affect an extension or two that I'm running and not other installs.  But it seemed to screw up the style to the point where all my tabs inherited a dark colour so weren't visible.

The release is only days old so I guess I'll just wait and see if any complaints appear about the update and my extension.

The not being able to roll back and keep using the same profile is a problem, suppose it must be a recent thing too.  So now I'll be backing up the profile before allowing any update.

Edited by Rybags

19 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Every chance it might just be changes that affect an extension or two that I'm running and not other installs.

Well, mine is still working fine, so looks like that's a yes.

I've got similar setup on my work machine so might give it a shot later - with relevant backup performed first.

OK, so that's strange.  Work machine has a similar extensions setup though a little lighter but version 73.0.1 like this one.

Did a backup of local/roaming FF profiles and an export of the TreeStyleTabs setup then performed the update.

And it verks!@#%!   The only thing I noticed is that it enabled the "cycle through tabs in recently used order" option which I don't use as it puts the preview up.

So either something else is causing it to break here or I just received a dud update.

51 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I just received a dud update

That'd be my guess.  Sucks to have munted your link list, but you should be able to get it back up and running in fairly short order apart from that.

AFAIK I've not lost anything.  Session cookies got wiped so had to re login to the several sites that needed it.  So no drama aside from the annoyance of doing the restore etc.

• Like 2

bloody luvly day we have ... swim time !

Fixed the fountain..............pulled down the Christmas lights................what's next?

lol. firefox just updated ... it's front page told me that there was less need to worry,facebook could be my friend .